When did fully comp insurance stop allowing you to drive someone elses car TP??? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Adrian Flux Insurance Looking for advice on insuring your Alfa Romeo?
Click here for an online quotation

paintergirl

Hmmm When did fully comp insurance stop allowing you to drive someone elses car TP???

My question as above really.

I thought fully comp always covered me TP in someone else's car, so long as I was driving it with their permission and it was insured by them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

'98 2.0 156 SP2

Re: When did fully comp insurance stop allowing you to drive someone elses car TP???

think it depends on the insurance company, ive got TP, F & T with tesco and im insured TP in any other car with the usual conditions
AO Member

Re: When did fully comp insurance stop allowing you to drive someone elses car TP???

Thats how it used to be! Has it changed?
jay w

some companies have taken this away, it is not a guaranteed thing these days.....

Mine gives me TP cover, but not cars that are subject to HP or lease agreements

paintergirl

My point exactly! I didn't know it had changed but a good friend of mine has just discovered that he wasn't insured.....and a bit too late!

EddieGTA

It does depend on the company, I am with admiral and it is included. Previously I was with Privilege and it wasn't included.

paintergirl

I've never heard of this before

Rayq81

Im insured by Swiftcover and it says on the the policy "the policy holder may also drive any other vehicle not owned by them and not hired to them under a hire purchase agreement and with the owners permission"

paintergirl

Yep Ray - that's what mine says as well. But check this out....

Quote:
Section 2 ' Driving other cars', may be excluded from this policy. If included, this section will not
apply when the other car is not insured in its own right. Other restrictions may apply in addition,
please refer to your insurance adviser / policy booklet for confirmation of cover.
Taken from 'Chaucer Insurance Policy Summary Private Car Auto Marque Version date: 01/09/07'

Rayq81

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintergirl View Post
Yep Ray - that's what mine says as well. But check this out....

Taken from 'Chaucer Insurance Policy Summary Private Car – Auto Marque Version date: 01/09/07'
Ah I get you now, this is not a new thing, the car must already be Insured by its owner (or keeper) before your insurance will allow you to drive it

paintergirl

I know that. It was this bit
Quote:
Section 2 ' Driving other cars', may be excluded from this policy

AO Traders

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Alfa

It is all dependent on the Insurer you are with and their Terms and Condition for this Addition to be included.

When you are obtaining / Paying for your Quote then they should be telling you if this is included in your Policy.

Dan.
AO Member

County: Leicestershire

Member car:

GTV

It also depends on your age. When i passed my test at 17 i could drive my dads bmw TP. However, the rules changed, and now you have to be over 25 to drive another car. So I have another year left until I can even drive my G/F's Ka. Crazy. I think they think under 25's are a risk also its to try and stop 17 year olds buying a crappy fiesta and insuring it, then buying a fast car, but put it in their dad's name and drive it TP. This is what a lot of my friends did , whilst i pottered around in a 1.2 clio.
Dibby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Clark View Post
When you are obtaining / Paying for your Quote then they should be telling you if this is included in your Policy
I don't think I've ever been told by any company if this is included. I always thought if something changes half way through a policy it's the responsibility of the company to tell the driver but if T&Cs change at renewal it's down to the driver to check the small print

AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

156 JTS

i am with swiftcover and have tpf&t insurance, it also covers me tp on any car not owned by me provided is is insured by its owner,

i used to be with quinn direct tpf&t and that policy covered me to drive any car tp with owners consent even if there was no insurance policy on the car
paintergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Clark View Post
It is all dependent on the Insurer you are with and their Terms and Condition for this Addition to be included.

When you are obtaining / Paying for your Quote then they should be telling you if this is included in your Policy.

Dan.
Really? The friend I'm referring to had no idea that this was the case until after the bump and his insurance was arranged by Adrian Flux.

AO Traders

Member car:

Alfa

Quote:
Really? The friend I'm referring to had no idea that this was the case until after the bump and his insurance was arranged by Adrian Flux.
Hi ya

Yes this is something that is stated in the terms of the policy when the quote is given so that should of been made aware if was included or excluded, when given the terms of the policy.

Dan
paintergirl

Thanks Dan.

And what if he wasn't made aware of this? Are you meaning perhaps that he would have had to make himself aware - or is this something someone such as yourself would make sure he was aware of?

AO Silver Member

County: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbuild2k View Post
i used to be with quinn direct tpf&t and that policy covered me to drive any car tp with owners consent even if there was no insurance policy on the car
The police regognise this even though most people on the street think you're wrong
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

156 JTS

yup, i had to show people the paperwork many times due to disbelief
AO Traders

Member car:

Alfa

Quote:
Thanks Dan.

And what if he wasn't made aware of this? Are you meaning perhaps that he would have had to make himself aware - or is this something someone such as yourself would make sure he was aware of?
Morning

This would be confirmed when the quotation is given, when confirming the terms of the policy. It is always best to never assume that the benefit is included on a policy, and check the policy documents too, as some insurers may exclude it for different reasons ie age of policyholder or occupation or just terms of the policy.

Cheers

Dan
paintergirl

If I PM you his details Dan, would you be able to look into this on his behalf?

AO Traders

Member car:

Alfa

Quote:
If I PM you his details Dan, would you be able to look into this on his behalf?
Hi

Yes that is no problem at all, just pm me the full name, reference number and contact telephone number as we can look into this and arrange a call back.

Cheers
Dan
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 GTA

Thats interesting, when I took out my policy I specified that I want to be able to drive any other car and it states on my policy that I can.

TBH when Im on the phone to insurance/bank etc and they start spouting off their terms and conditions I just glaze over, loose all interest and its not that I understand it anyway because they either use big words or are from India or somewhere! Thats why Im with Privilege, talk English and they are the cheapest
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire

it will actually say on your insurance certificate, it will be in small writing. if there is no reference to this then you do not have it. usually linked to the age of the policy holder.

sounds a real nightmare if you assume you have it, im sure loads of drivers have got caught out by this.

it is a very good point to bring up, i might go and check mine now just in case.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Vendors > Insurance Section > Adrian Flux Insurance

Tags
allowing , car , comp , drive , elses , fully , insurance , stop

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page