How is insurance supposed to work? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Adrian Flux Insurance Looking for advice on insuring your Alfa Romeo?
Click here for an online quotation

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 02-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Glasgow
How is insurance supposed to work?

My wee Ford Puma is coming up for renewal.

I did a quick on line quote from my current providers elephant, they said it would cost £440. Great there's the bench mark

so bairng in mind that Adrian flux offer a discount I phoned them and got through to a lovely girl called Tracy However they wanted more than double what I was quoted! Tracy then asked me to hold while she transferred me to a secondary company. guess how much they wanted? No your wrong they asked for a cool £1700! that what I paid for the car in March!

I find actuary quite interesting

Now taking in to account that and insurance company tries to calculate the risk of me making a claim and them offer a competitive price.

So how dose one company think that I am twice as dangerous as another company? while the next company just assumes that I'm going to insure my car then climb into it an drive it into a lamp post before it deprecates any further!

Please if any body as any formulas that are known to be used that would scale where you live to the power of the vechile and to the drivers exsperince I would love to see them Because I really don't understand how car insurance works!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: South Lanarkshire
Re: How is insurance supposed to work?

Stu ma man.

happy new year to you as you have probably fugoat by noo ken.

you asked the same thing last year...dementia at your age?

well its dead easy ...the best cheapest way is to drive withoot it...but the small print is yee can get the jail...years ago it wiz like minopoly ken straight to jail go dirctly to jail and dont collect anything.

now you get so many chances ..community service driving the other prisoners to jail etc but with the new innovations in the road traffic officers artillery they dont need to see you and their automatic system tells them ...hi that motor has nae insurance or mot etc.

so not recommended unless of course you want free board n lodgin free ctv and no TV licence fee ...you do have to give up yer vote but as it is worthless in the first place..well the choice is yours.

the other way is get a sex change and becomrea trappist monk.
then theyd need to contact their underwriters as we have never quoted furra trappist monk before...they dont have anything and sloudnae huv a licence.
remember big jc no the other one trying to get insurance fur the veyron bugatti....

well try confused dot com....try a few permutations and hey presto...or wait another 40 years and get the saga price match...

good luck in yer search....its a minefield boy.

Pomeo

"Don't follow me,Follow the Highway Code "
GT.Tom

Funny you should mention Adrian Flux.

They used to be really good for me. And then one year they just couldn't come close to other companies.

They didnt even sound bothered about it.

Maybe they'd had enough of me.

AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

'98 2.0 156 SP2

hey stu_the_flat good to see that we share a birthday!
£440 realy doesnt sound that bad, considering i pay more than that for my 2.0 156, but ive only been driving a couple years.
tesco has always given me my cheepest quote by a long way, and been able to haggle them down a little further as have said other places are cheeper. but have a hunt, blag a little and you should get it lower than that!
AO Silver Member

County: Norfolk

Many Insurance companies class cars as different groups!
Years ago now when the groups were 1 to 10, my uno turbo was classed as a group7 at one insurer giving me a quote of £752 but, found another that classed it as a group 4 with a quote of £392!

Guess it's worse now it's up to 20! Pays to shop around!

The worst thing was my postcode. At the time I was a transport manager(helps on insurance ) and at a seminar was told that NR3 was the worst in the country! Yes, a Norwich postcode worse than any in London, Birmingham or Manchester! I couldn't believe it!

Not the same now, thank God!

My spider with more than at the moment (cheapest I found when buying it!) But did a quote on the Alfaowner recommended one (Adrian Flux I think) and found it nearly £200 cheaper, so will check again when renewing!
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chutsy View Post
Pays to shop around!
every year before renewal as it changes from day to day too.
just keep a hold of the best quote.they are usually valid around 90 days so start 90 days berore renewal date.

Pomeo
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT

Hi
I'm with elephant at the moment and i normally switch to Diamond cos they are always cheaper (i do this every year switching between the two) i know diamond is women only but they belong to the same group, they are part of the admiral group, so you could try Admiral
AO Traders

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_the_flat View Post
My wee Ford Puma is coming up for renewal.

I did a quick on line quote from my current providers elephant, they said it would cost £440. Great there's the bench mark

so bairng in mind that Adrian flux offer a discount I phoned them and got through to a lovely girl called Tracy However they wanted more than double what I was quoted! Tracy then asked me to hold while she transferred me to a secondary company. guess how much they wanted? No your wrong they asked for a cool £1700! that what I paid for the car in March!

I find actuary quite interesting

Now taking in to account that and insurance company tries to calculate the risk of me making a claim and them offer a competitive price.

So how dose one company think that I am twice as dangerous as another company? while the next company just assumes that I'm going to insure my car then climb into it an drive it into a lamp post before it deprecates any further!

Please if any body as any formulas that are known to be used that would scale where you live to the power of the vechile and to the drivers exsperince I would love to see them Because I really don't understand how car insurance works!
Insurance companies and underwriters base their prices on the same risk critera's. However, one company may be more competative in a certain area of the country, another with a certain age group etc.It depends on how many claims have been made within these critera's.

Basically, one company may welcome you as a customer and another may offer you a high premium.

Please feel free to PM me you're details as I would be more than happy to have a look into your quote that you had with us.
Cheers Dan.

Last edited by [email protected] FLUX; 02-01-09 at 13:25.
AO Member

Adrian Flux have never given me a competative quote in 10 years, maybe it's cause we're Jocks If that Puma is unmodified which I believe it is I reckon you should try MoreThan (try through confused aswell), they've usually been alot cheaper for me.

Think I'll be going back to standard next year and going for a sub-£200 insurance.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Clark View Post
Insurance companies and underwriters base their prices on the same risk critera's. However, one company may be more competative in a certain area of the country, another with a certain age group etc.It depends on how many claims have been made within these critera's.

Basically, one company may welcome you as a customer and another may offer you a high premium.

Please feel free to PM me you're details as I would be more than happy to have a look into your quote that you had with us.
Cheers Dan.
Exactly what I SAID BUT MORE ELOQUENTLY.

Ihave only 40 years experience as a buyer never as a sellr.

Although 1 broker I went through as alad told me that as a police officer I should know that I DIDN'T NEED insurance to drive to and from an MOT. I TOLD HIM as a police officer or any other punter I DIDNT NEED RFL MOT BUT I DID NEED INSURANCE.

I got it BUT if I had listened to him I'D have got done as well as losin mah joab.

Pomeo
AO Member

County: Greater London

I'm with Admiral currently. Insurance is up for renewal in a fortnight. I went onto Confused and Admiral was in the list of companies that wouldn't quote for me!?! (Even though I had the renewal forms through with a quote from them) I phoned Admiral anyway and told them of a couple of amended details (less mileage / slightly lower car value) and the quote came down over £100. This was still considerably cheaper than any of the Confused quotes so I'm sticking with Admiral for another year. So, I'm not sure how much I would trust the infor that Confused comes back with!

Red 159SW 1750 TBI TI
(Post Link) post #12 of 20 Old 02-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Yes I found that confused.com just add to the confusion! I tried them and didn't get a quote below a grand.

Tesco where very surprising, They where very cheap last year for my 166 so much so that I phoned up elephant and they had to under cut them. this time for the ford they wanted £1200?

admirals multi quote is a good laugh as said they want £420 for the Puma as a single car. under the multi quote system its about £750 with the 166 costing about £420.

I think I'll just accept my renewal quote and be done with it!

Cheers Stuart
AO Member

did you try morethan through their site?
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Give Tesco another try, I've been with them for about 8 Years, and NOBODY beats them on price, and like for like, they are the best around. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone on here......
Darren156

Insurance is mental. When I bought my Jag I thought 'Great! Classic Insurance is only a few hundred quid!'. Wrong! You gotta be a million years old, and have been driving for 500,000 years to get cover,

Then when I searched around I was getting mental quotes of £800+!!!

I have 4 years NCD, never had an accident, and am 23, Admiral gave me the best quote of £550 fully comp, protected NCD, with my 21 year old missus thrown on the policy too. Been with them 3 years running now, they seriously can't be beaten and are really great if you buy a new car every other month like I do,

(Post Link) post #16 of 20 Old 03-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Well more than refused to quote my under the basis that I was far to young to handle the awesome 125Bhp

My bank keep emailing me and telling me that I'll get free insurance for a year if they can't beat my quote and then refusing to insure me!

But I've figured out why nobody can beat my quote.

When i bought both the 166 and the puma I would sit with both auto trader and the admiral insurance calculator open entering the detail of any of the cars I fancied. I bought both of them under the premise that they appeared to be insurance "bargains"

So I've probably done is found cars that EUI only underestimate the risk of them?
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Garage

Member car:

E82 125i

I did a quote thing on gocompare yesterday, GTV V6 with a couple of declared modifications; admiral came in at £400 and all the others were £750+ !!
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloverleaf146 View Post
The way it works is quite simply that some companies want your business, and some don't. If they don't they just quote you a silly price to get shot of you.
Thats an even better summation cl146.

yes when the figure is over £1500 they dont want the business excellent risk or not.

I left Saga because this year their guaranteed price guarantee didn't work this year..It did the last 2 tho...so I went to the AA and got free roadside assistance thrown in...then the cert of insurance arrived..I am covered by Saga...Now is that a Saga or what.

My 166 comes with standard alloy wheels...they are quite expensive to replace wrt to some other manufacturer. So when I needed new tyres I could buy new fox alloys with new tyres cheaper than the 4 tyres....reported this to insurance and they wanted £25 extra premium.....so the cheaper new wheels and tyres got dearer...cost to me for the 4 fox wheels and tyres £299. What would have been the cost of replacing the Alfa ones if required after a claim...A lot dearer than the fox's.

So when trying for renewal quotes I declared the different alloy wheels.....then quote with the standard alooys....over £100 cheaper with the old Alfa lloys so guess what is goin back on.

I remember when insurance was simple.Norwich Union Rider Policy...12 guines...You could ride any motor cycle any cc and others wouldn'yt insure you no matter how much you paid...you did need to possess heaven and earth plus 50% over and above for them just to consider you...

so stu ...keep searchin searchin etc....you'll find one if you look.

Pomeo
AO Member

County: Cardiff

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Insurance is a massive rip off in the UK. We need to have some sort of centralised 3rd party fund paid for out of the petrol price. That way anyone who drives is covered. You would then have the option of taking out further insurance should you want to. If this happened the insurance companies would suddenly become a lot more competitive and actually give you value for money. Currently they know they have us over a barrel and can demand whatever they like.
(Post Link) post #20 of 20 Old 11-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose66 View Post
Insurance is a massive rip off in the UK. We need to have some sort of centralised 3rd party fund paid for out of the petrol price. That way anyone who drives is covered. You would then have the option of taking out further insurance should you want to. If this happened the insurance companies would suddenly become a lot more competitive and actually give you value for money. Currently they know they have us over a barrel and can demand whatever they like.
I'm not sure about that. Because they have to compete with each other.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Vendors > Insurance Section > Adrian Flux Insurance

Tags
insurance , supposed , work

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page