20 yrs old, first car - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Adrian Flux Insurance Looking for advice on insuring your Alfa Romeo?
Click here for an online quotation

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 27-12-08 Thread Starter

County: East Sussex

Member car:

Nothing

20 yrs old, first car

I know this topic has probably been done to death but I am looking to get insurance for a 2006 Reg Alfa Romeo 147 Hatchback 3-Door 1598 cc 1.6 T.Spark Lusso.

I am 20 years old (21 in August) but this will be my first car. Employed fulltime in the publishing industry (don't know whether this information is relevant).

I have used websites like moneysupermarket.com and confused.com and the cheapest quote for third party, fire & theft is just under £2000. From what I understand these websites are not the best to use for finding a bargain but the whole subject is new to me and I am completely clueless about it all.

Can anyone point my into the right direction at finding the cheapest possible insurance for the car I am looking for?

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Re: 20 yrs old, first car

Dunno ... I use confused.com and I get pretty good quotes (although I am an old git) ... although with my first car (Sierra 1.8!!) I had it insured with direct line who were pretty competitive ...
(Post Link) post #3 of 20 Old 27-12-08 Thread Starter

County: East Sussex

Member car:

Nothing

Also, am I being realistic with my choice of first car? I can afford to run it but obviously there has to be some consideration when huge amounts of money are being dealt with.
Darren156

Shouldn't be that big a problem mate, my first car at 18 was a Ford Probe 2.0i 16V and the insurance wasn't too bad.

Try churchill, admiral, confused.com and comparethemarket.com .

Only Churchill and Admiral offer me decent quotes, the brokers tend to be AWFUL, but every now and again they actually offer up some decent prices.

I have until the end of play tomorrow to find a decent insurer for my 3.6 Litre XJS Jag, it's not going well,

AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Very difficult decision you have to make there, not an easy one to give advice on either?:
Darren156

Tesco is another good one I find.

AO Member

County: -

my first car was a 1994 nissan micra!nice one!maybe look in the back of car mags for insurance.they always try to beat eachother on price.
AO Silver Member

Try Chris Knott. Explain u are a member here. I know im a bit older (25) but they did great prices for the last 3 years. When everyone else was saying £2000, they said £500 fully comp
Darren156

Does Chris Knott insure Alfa's only or anyone on any car????

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren156 View Post
Does Chris Knott insure Alfa's only or anyone on any car????
As far as i understand they insure anyone in a car club eg alfaowner or AROC. People in clubs tend to look after their cars better i guess.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Have you considered buying a cheaper, older car, and going 3rd party which will considerly reduce your insurance bill.

You could also get a 2.0 which will be more fun than the 1.6, and of course the pre-facelift 147 is the better looking..
AO Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

146 Junior

Ive just turned 21, and after driving a Micra for 3 years... I was paying £1000 on that !!!

So I decided a change was needed.

Turned 21, went on Cheap loans | mortgages | credit cards | home & car insurance - moneysupermarket.com, and was quoted £600 for the Micra, or £800 on a 1.6 146...so obviously it hd to be the Alfa

Give them a try, I eventually went for the quote from that site by Admiral, as they were the cheapest for me.... With Insurance, its a case f ringing round to get the best deal, not go for the first one you see. Tell them what youve been quoted, and if they can do better. If not...then move to the next one.

Hope that helps ya, can be a bit daunting, but remember, the companies want your custom, and so will try to persuade you to choose them. For someone to offer £2000 on that car, they dont want your custom sorry.

Oh, and by the way, if you put named drivers on your insurance, it can reduce costs by 15%
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_87 View Post
Oh, and by the way, if you put named drivers on your insurance, it can reduce costs by 15%
For £100 you can put my name on your insurance then ...
AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

ex 147 GTA

I always insure through Admiral or Elephant. I got my 147 1.6TS Lusso when I was 19, was paying around £800 fully comp. After 2 years this dropped nicely to £600.

I got my 147 GTA aged 22 in April and got my insurance with Elephant - premium was £780 fully comp. I have since had an addition of 3 points (46 in a 40) and the premium is unchanged. Renewal is in March. I think a lot of it seems to be luck of the draw or postcodes.

I have also always had my mum on the insurance policy as a named driver, this seems to reduce the premium.

By the way, top choice for a first car
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire

Im 18 and have just got my 147 1.6 (53 plate) it is my second car and a years no claims really helped but i went with Norwich Union, got a quote for £1000, put both parents on as named drivers and it dropped to £800 as they both have 5+ years no claims. Id give norwich a look up directly as the comparison sites said they were more expensive than they were or didnt quote them at all! I figure paying £200 more to insure the 147 was a better idea than paying £600 for a 60hp (when new) 1994 plate 1.4 VW golf!!

Icy
Darren156

Have gone with Admiral in the end for my 91 Jag XJS 3.6. They've insured me for £550. That's fully comp, with my 21 year old missus as a named driver, 4 years NCD, protected NCD. Job done,

AO Member

County: Worcestershire

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156Chris View Post
Dunno ... I use confused.com and I get pretty good quotes (although I am an old git) ... although with my first car (Sierra 1.8!!) I had it insured with direct line who were pretty competitive ...
It may sounds stupid to some, but try direct line. Most quotes I got for my 2.0 gt (im 21 btw) were in excess of 3 thousand!
Direct line dont do comparison sites (as the advert says), so just go onto their website and get a quote.
They got me insured, fully comp for 1,200 which is 800 cheaper than ANY other quote I got.
AO Member

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit Bryan View Post
I know this topic has probably been done to death but I am looking to get insurance for a 2006 Reg Alfa Romeo 147 Hatchback 3-Door 1598 cc 1.6 T.Spark Lusso.

I am 20 years old (21 in August) but this will be my first car. Employed fulltime in the publishing industry (don't know whether this information is relevant).

I have used websites like moneysupermarket.com and confused.com and the cheapest quote for third party, fire & theft is just under £2000. From what I understand these websites are not the best to use for finding a bargain but the whole subject is new to me and I am completely clueless about it all.

Can anyone point my into the right direction at finding the cheapest possible insurance for the car I am looking for?

Many thanks
I've always found elephant or Admiral best value (same company). I'm 22 and my 156 1.8TS is insured fully comp for under £500. My first car was a Fiat X1/9 1500cc two seater. That was insured for £600 when I was 18

Some tips

Address: Try your parent's/siblings/partner's address. My quote was vastly affected by this!

Garage: Do your parent's have a garage? If you register it there, IT IS STORED IN THERE NOT ON YOUR STREET!

Named drivers: I saved loads by putting my folks down as named drivers

Aftermarket alarms help a little.

Pass Plus helped me in the first few years.

Good luck with the quotes. Remember, its only money. Find the best price, get the credit card out and hit send!

Iain

'01 Alfa 156 SW 1.8 Twinspark - grown up car
'77 Fiat X1/9 zx6r carbs, megajolt, Eurosport/Dallara Body - play thing/project
'91 Honda Civic - Autotester - GONE!
Unregistered

County: Antrim

Member car:

147 1.6TS Lusso

Try Quinn Direct. They were the cheapest buy miles for me!
AO Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

ex 147 GTA

I got my renewal through for the GTA from elephant/admiral yesterday ... 23 with 3 yrs ncb, 3 points ... £701!! Very happy!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Vendors > Insurance Section > Adrian Flux Insurance

Tags
car , yrs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page