insuring a teenager!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Adrian Flux Insurance Looking for advice on insuring your Alfa Romeo?
Click here for an online quotation

(Post Link) post #1 of 29 Old 10-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ford Fiesta ST 3

insuring a teenager!!!

Hi,

my daughter turns 17 in november and will start learning to drive. Is anyone on here working in the insurance world able to offer any advice on the best way to insure her?

For example, get her own insurnance with her mother and myself as named drivers? Insure her as a named driver on one of our policies? Get a 10mth bonus accelerator policy? It seems endless in terems of options and the screenscraping sites don't seem to cover this scenario so I am confused-dot-com!!

Thanks

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Wave Re: insuring a teenager!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfapersius View Post
Hi,
my daughter turns 17 in november and will start learning to drive. Is anyone on here working in the insurance world able to offer any advice on the best way to insure her?
For example, get her own insurance with her mother and myself as named drivers? Insure her as a named driver on one of our policies? Get a 10mth bonus accelerator policy? It seems endless in terems of options and the screenscraping sites don't seem to cover this scenario so I am confused-dot-com!!
Thanks
Andy

We did this with our 17 year old - after being recommended it by a friend - and it worked out quite cheap for him really (It's cheaper to just have her mother as the named driver too )
(Post Link) post #3 of 29 Old 10-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ford Fiesta ST 3

Re: insuring a teenager!!!

Cheers Nomad. Who did you go with for her policy and did you go for a full 12 month or a accelerator one? If you don't mind me asking
AO Silver Member

County: Glasgow

Admiral, Elephant bell and Dimond are all the same company (EUI think there name is) and I found that if an insurance company could quote me "only" twice as much as an EUI quote they where doing very well!

Oh yes I'm on the 10 month policy. You get you no claims biult up slightly quicker but I pay in a lump sum to make it cheaper and with the 10 month policy it makes this slightly cheaper.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Quote:
Cheers Nomad. Who did you go with for her policy and did you go for a full 12 month or a accelerator one? If you don't mind me asking
To tell you the truth I lost interest very early on in the proceedings

He's got a full 12 month policy that earns him his own no claims bonus which was the deciding factor in the decision to get that particular policy TBH

I'll get TFMN to text me the name of the Insurance Co during her lunch hour - approx 12 - 1pm - and post it up

I know this year was cheaper to have his Mum as the named driver but that was before she picked up another 6 points on her licence
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Direct Line are pretty good for insuring young drivers. As are admiral.
(Post Link) post #7 of 29 Old 10-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ford Fiesta ST 3

cheers guys, gives me some good starting points.

Will probably have a hunt round getting quotes this saturday (on-call so can't stray far from home!), what joy to look forward to!
AO Member

County: New South Wales

Hi, I'm from Australia so I don't know if this applies to you but I'm 17 and my 156 <<<< is insured under my parents' name. It's definitely the way to go. If I have a crash there's just a higher excess cost, but like I said, Australia.
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by UccelloFeroce View Post
Hi, I'm from Australia so I don't know if this applies to you but I'm 17 and my 156 <<<< is insured under my parents' name.
You're not allowed to do this over here. Chances are you'd probably get away with it, but I wouldn't want to risk it.
AO Member

Member car:

1998 156 2.5 v6

Best not to, its called fronting and is very disliked... they probably would void a claim too if it could be proved without doubt (which is difficult). As its your daughter try diamond (womens part of EUI|), do the policy under her name even with a prov lic she can earn NCB. Get an oldish little car in her name take a 10mnth policy tpft with the missus on (if she has a clean lic) or yourself and pay by card
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

My plan when my daughters get to that age is to buy them an old banger (£500) and then insure them on that ... would you really want a 17yo driving your bella!!!
AO Member

Member car:

AO Member

County: New South Wales

Sorry for being completely useless, but what I meant is that technically, the car is owned by my parents', and in the event of an accident there is a larger excess fee if the driver is under 25, which doesn't necessarily refer to me. So I'm really just borrowing my parents car. This probably doesn't help but I tried, so, sorry for trying.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 643
County: Kent

Dear Andy,
Good news, girls are cheaper to insure than boys ! That said do ask how much the premium increases when she passes the test our son's premium went up 50&#37; ! Do pass plus as soon as possible after passing test, many insurers give hefty discounts with it. We ended up buying a pre-reg Punto for a hefty discount, and found Quinn direct the most competitive. Have just renewed with them. Do shop around as often the same insurer offers different rates . Hope this helps. Wish your daughter safe and happy motoring.
All the best
Andrew
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands

When my son passed his test 2 years agao, it was cheaper for me to buy him a new car (2006 VW Golf 1.4) and insure that in his name, rather than insure him in any of the Alfas we have. I also looked at re-registering an old 33 I have lying around, but the cost of getting it MOT'd and insuring that in his name would still have worked out more expensive (in the long run) Plus, he didn't want to be seen by his mates in an 'old Alfa!' - His words, not mine
AO Silver Member

Been through this twice recently and this is what worked for us.

Insured in my name a old banger (fiat tipo 1.4) 3rd party only. I use it as the local runaround so it's not their car exactly. Her element costs around an extra &#163;100 through directline.

Relevant points:
- old cars seems to be far cheaper to insure (something out lower mileage on slower roads - hence far lower insurance payouts). They can also be treated as disposable, so if they back into a lamp post or something there are no big bills and no insurance claims (assuming no 3rd party damage). Old cars have better visibility but lower safety ratings.
- directline also do NCB on named drivers. So two years of this, add an advanced drivers course, and with the money saved they can afford the insurance on a decent car of their own, and have skills to continue building their NCB.

More Alfa Romeo Insurance Advice
(Post Link) post #17 of 29 Old 11-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ford Fiesta ST 3

thanks for all the advice everyone. We already have the car, an old VW polo 1 litre. So now just need to follow your suggestions and get some good quotes.
AO Silver Member

County: Glasgow

Quote:
We already have the car, an old VW polo 1 litre.
I always think of my self as "young" when it come to insurance

But that sentince makes me so SO glad I'm not young any more!

Cheers Stuart
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire

When the missus was learning, getting the NCB was our top priority. a banger and TPFT is about the cheapest way of getting a NCB and avoids dubious legal territory of fronting etc.
AO Traders

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Alfa

Quote:
Hi,

For example, get her own insurnance with her mother and myself as named drivers? Insure her as a named driver on one of our policies? Get a 10mth bonus accelerator policy? It seems endless in terems of options and the screenscraping sites don't seem to cover this scenario so I am confused-dot-com!!

Thanks

Andy
Hi,

If it would help i could arrange a call back from one of our underwriters to give some advice?

Dan.
Darren156

I got my missus's brother his own insurance on a 1995 Clio 1.2 with 0 NCB and on a provisional lisence for &#163;430 TPFT, that was using the Car Insurance | Compare Car Insurance, Home Insurance, Van Insurance, Bike Insurance - Compare the Market website, it's really good for first time drivers.

Adding a parent didn't affect the price at all though.

AlfaLincs

Uccello...don't be offended, we welcome all contributions from Oz...honest ..What you do is what everyone used to do over here, and most insurance companies turned a blind eye to it, but not anymore. What they say is that..for example..if your mum insures the car with you as a named driver, and it turns out you use the car all the time, and she hardly touches it..then you are not declaring the true facts to the insurers and your mum is acting as a 'front' to get the insurance cheaper than it should be. If they discover this they will not pay out for anything, possibly leaving you with a massive third party liability in the event of an accident, so its a practice that we have to avoid these days in the UK.

I've got two blighters doing driving lessons at present, daughter 17 and son 20. We havn't insured our old dormant Skoda Felicia on cost grounds, but I'm going to have another go as some of the prices quoted are half what I have been quoted, so thanks everyone for the info.

Can anyone advise me what the best way to go is with TWO learners to insure &#163;&#163;&#163;&#163;&#163;&#163;&#163;&#163;&# 163;

That Compare.com has come up with &#163;1254 as cheapest for my 20year old on a 1.3 Skoda Felicia Estate TPFT..ollocks!!

AlfaLincs

Last edited by AlfaLincs; 15-09-08 at 19:19.

AlfaLincs

But Quinn direct have come up with an amazing £799....over £400 cheaper than the next best quote with identical details

Now that is looking doable. Its such a difference I thought it worth a new post.

AlfaLincs

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Finally got the Insurance Co name and our lad is insured with Quinn Direct too
Voo
AO Silver Member

County: Oxfordshire

Member car:

GT

If you only let them loose in a cheap run around insure it fourth party scratch and dent !

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Vendors > Insurance Section > Adrian Flux Insurance

Tags
insuring , teenager

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page