General insurance quotation advice - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Adrian Flux Insurance Looking for advice on insuring your Alfa Romeo?
Click here for an online quotation

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 11-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

General insurance quotation advice

Hi folks,

my insurance is up for renewal again.

I am currently with esure - but Performance Direct quote the best price on confused.com (more than 100 quid lower).

Any recommendations on getting costs down?

A Brera 3.2 - I have 8 years protected no claims. No points. No recent claims.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Re: General insurance quotation advice

I always used confused.com too (although I must admit if it's within £20 of my renewal I don't bother changing .. ) ... but beware not all insurances are the same and even though some a cheaper ALWAYS check the small print (as I'm sure you have done ...)
AO Platinum Member

Always buy the legal protection ...
Nev

Move to a nicer area.

AO Platinum Member

Buy a small car ... (Ford KA etc ...)
efcsted

I used to be an Insurance Underwriter before I got into being a computer geek so I can pass on a few tips but to be honest most of them are fairly standard. All Insurance companies rate vehicles on the same Insurance group, some just apply different rates. The premium companies charge are created by applying the rating criteria and multiplying those rates together. By making some of the rates more acceptable the overall premium can be reduced, sometimes significantly.

If you have a garage, use it and declare it garaged overnight. Some customers of the company I used to work for, used to 'leave' their cars at a friends house in a better postcode area overnight. You can check your own postcode rated area by checking some of the websites such as upmystreet. this wont give you the insurance rating for the postcode, it will just provide information as to things like crime rates etc. If yours is high, the insurance rating will be high.
If your a member of the Advanced Institute of Motorists, many companies will give you a discount.
Obviously there is an immobiliser on the Brera already but often an additional immobiliser, or better still a tracker, will help to reduce premium.
If you have a second car with another insurance company, ask them about multiple car discounts or approach the people you have house insurance with, they often give discounts for buying from them.
Dont have any un-necessary drivers on, especially younger drivers or those with convictions. If you do have any additional drivers, always try to make sure the eldest and most careful driver is the main driver.
If (as you seem) you are a careful driver, add a voluntary excess , usually an additional £100 voluntary excess will reduce the premium by about £50 depending on the insurance company.
Be honest about your mileage, work out your weekly mileage, multiply it by 52 and add an additional 5% to cover for days out etc. Dont be surprised if the premium doesnt change that much though.
Only pay for the cover you want, if you have a second car, would you really need a guaranteed courtesy car if you were involved in an accident?
Do you really need to buy breakdown cover from the insurance company? Some breakdown cover is available on the net for £40 where you pay a charge if you have to call them out.

Shopping around is always the best way and sometimes a phone call to your local high street broker is very worthwhile.
I have noticed that especially on comparison sites, the lowest price is for the premium only, when you click through to the site the final premium is often much higher.

I hope some of these pointers help you out but above all be honest with the insurance companies, as anything you dont declare or declare wrongly could well result in any claims not being paid.

I am not advocating any inappropriate behaviour here but the points listed above are the main rating factors that insurance companies use to calculate premiums.

(Post Link) post #7 of 11 Old 12-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Moving house and changing car are not on the agenda! Thanks for the suggestions.

I also plan to take out the legal protection (everyone seems to charge 22 quid).

Cheers.

No specific recommendations then? Owners' club related discounts, etc.
AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

2001 V6 GTV Q2

Chris Knott offer to beat your best quote by 10% if you're a member of AROC (or they did in February when I took my policy out with them).

I had a quote from Sainsburys (esure) for about £800, however when I called Chris Knott and I mentioned the Alfa Owners Club and provided proof of my Sainsburys quote they did exactly what they advertised. I'm not a member of AROC but I still got the discount.

Think I paid about £750 with legal protection, protected no claims etc etc.

Hope that helps.
(Post Link) post #9 of 11 Old 12-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Cheers Cossa!
Nev

That's no bad compared to my €1500 renewal !

(Post Link) post #11 of 11 Old 13-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Well I am looking at about 400-500 quid myself.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Vendors > Insurance Section > Adrian Flux Insurance

Tags
advice , general , insurance , quotation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page