Insurance Woes - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Adrian Flux Insurance Looking for advice on insuring your Alfa Romeo?
Click here for an online quotation

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 03-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Jaguar XJR V8

Not Happy Insurance Woes

As you may remember from a previous post my car was hit be a group of uninsured ££$%^%%£"*s in November.
Finally got word today that it is going to be settled as a total loss. I am now trying to determine which 156 I actually had in order to get the best 'market value' from the insurers.
It was, 1999 (T) 156 2.5 V6 69000 miles in silver, with 16" teledial alloy wheels, side skirts, big wing, ?lowered suspension? (not too sure but is squats more than my mates but he's got 'standard' alloys), colour coded bumpers (including inserts and washers) and mirrors. Leather (Alfa Logo) interior, carbon console and Momo gear-knob.
Of all the S1 156s this was the best I saw when looking at them and I had a really good 2 weeks in it before the bump. I've not seen one that is the same, usually missing the skirts and wing.

Also, I cannot buy it from the insurers (I'm told) as they will be responsible for any future accidents if the repair isn't done correctly, although it can go through their auction system. Any insurance gurus out there know where I stand in that regard? I'd MUCH rather get it back and repair then look through the dogs I did before I got it!!
Scott.
PS Front damage estimated at £2500, rear £800, visually the front number plate is cracked and bumper inserts scuffed, is there anything REALLY fragile behind the n/s front bumper?
PPS No airbag deployment!

...if wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Re: Insurance Woes

sorry to hear that mate
tomhannah

Just sounds like a standard sp3 (like mine) plus the optional wing, this would also have black/orange clocks and I don't think the bumper strips would have been colour coded from new.

(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 03-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Jaguar XJR V8

Just returned from my insurers 'authorised repairers'.
The front end of my 156 is missing! I understand that they have to remove components in order to check for damage, however they have 'thrown away' the parts that were removed, since they were due to be replaced anyway.
However, the headlights have gone (undamaged in the accident and not on the parts required list), as too are the front fogs.
The front damage is reported as, bumper, number plate holder, number plate, grille trim, L radiator grille, R radiator grille, L and R bumper damper, body damper, crossmember, radiator, a/c condensor, 3 lit anti-freeze.
All this adds up to £700 ish. £500 labour (+£130 paint), and £230 for the VAT.
I was impressed with the professionalism of the (nameless) outfit. The half eaten sandwiches on the battery, empty crisp packets in the car and used coffee cup in the door pockets (full of various nuts and bolts) makes you wonder what kind of people actually do these assesments.
Looks like I'm in the market for a new bella,they've offered me my initial purchase price (I got a good deal) however of the 35 V6s on Autotrader only 1 falls under that (a red stolen/recovered for £2k). The next closest is £500 more.
Another 2 month search for me, this time without a car!!
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

a very dirty car

Try a 155 in the interim. Plenty of V6's around with leather and aircon and they are bonkers fun to drive
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 03-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Jaguar XJR V8

The way my insurance company is haggling over replacement value, I might not be able to get a '96 Punto.
The 155 option sounds good, but been there done it (and yes they are bonkers!!)
Looked on the AutoTrader website there are 24 sub-80000 mile V6 for sale, the cheapest is £2k and the next cheapest is £2.7k. My insurers seem to think that having the 72000 miles cambelt service doesn't affect the price of the car, or that SP3 options are worth anything!! It seems to pass them by that a car without the cambelt service and 80000+miles is MUCH less desirable than one that's been done and documented. As you'd factor in the cost of the service when buying it, I did and got some money knocked off the purchase price so I could get it done ASAP.
Still they've asked me to send 'evidence' of the market re. 156 V6s, hopefully they'll change their tune.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Vendors > Insurance Section > Adrian Flux Insurance

Tags
insurance , woes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page