Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Nexus 7 bought - questions!

1K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  bazza 
#1 ·
Now I just need to work out how to use it!

I seem to have got there with Google Play (music).

In terms of movies - I know I can buy them through Google Play. But what about films I currently possess, on blu-ray or DVD. Can I get them on to the Nexus? And is it legal to do so?
I know I have some 'triple-plays' so I'm sure I can with them. Do I put them on iTunes, and then get them from there to the Nexus?

And the big question - what am I best to do about books? As both me and Mrs Bazza will be using it on occasions, and I don't want fights to break out, I'm assuming we'll have to purchase an eReader too at some point.
So am I best using kindle - downloading it to the Nexus, and buying the cheapest Kindle? Or is there better eReader software / hardware out there I should use instead?

I'd assumed I'd have to not use Google play if we wanted to be able to read on with our iPhones - but I've just seen that app is available for the iPhone.

#2 ·
DVD Catalyst 4 is a very easy program for ripping DVDs to most phones and tablets.

https://www.tools4movies.com/

Legal grey area in this country as we don't have a fair use doctrine like they do in the US. A blind eye is turned for personal use I believe.

#3 ·
Cheers.

For what it's worth, I was totally wrong about the triple-plays. Spent the entire evening struggling and swearing, and completely failed to get them to accept being put on the tablet.

It's like they want you to pirate the films instead. :rolleyes:

#4 ·
Not tried triple play yet. They are supposed to work with Android. Maybe something weird like having to play a few seconds in windows to validate the DRM before transferring.

If you want a free option try Handbrake but be prepared to faff around with formats.

#5 ·
Handbrake wasn't working because of the copy protection.

Finally a working solution is to have AnyDVD installed, then use handbrake.

AnyDVD is shareware - will cost about £30 after the trial period. But to be honest, and two entire nights of faffing, I'm happy to pay it!

#6 ·
I have used AnyDVD as well. Moved to DVD Catalyst as it is a convenient one step solution.

#7 ·
I'll have a look at that too. :)

Edit: The main page you linked to states that it doesn't remove copy protection.

#8 ·
Well I haven't had an issue with DVDs. Not tried Blu Ray yet though.

#9 ·
Just checked the page. The comment you are referring to means it will not remove DRM from films purchased from iTunes or Amazon downloads.

It does rip DVDs and Blu Rays (check the FAQs). Also looks to be half price at the moment.

If you are happy with AnyDVD and Handbrake then stick with it.

In switched to DVD Catalyst last time it was on sale and found it very good.

G
#11 ·
Bazza

If you are used to iTunes then I'd recommend DoubleTwist - it's a syncing agent from iTunes to Android devices. Your nexus will play everything an iPod/iPad can except for DRM protected files from the iTunes Store. iTunes music isn't unprotected any more so this really only applies to purchased movies/tv shows/music videos.

As for Handbrake I'd suggest you rip everything using the Apple Universal preset which will give an M4v file you can play on just about any tablet, phone, smart tv, games console etc.

http://www.doubletwist.com/

#13 ·
So far, I've just used Google Play. The ability to just have them all remotely, and save the space on the device is excellent.

#15 ·
Having seen just how large a section of Google Maps you can download to be available off-line (basically the whole of the Algarve taking up less than 70MB), I started wondering about getting a car mount for this, and using it as a satnav. Such a large screen would be of massive benefit.

On further investigation, despite the maps being so small, the program won't let you set more than about 80MBs worth as available offline though.

I've heard a lot about Waze recently though. Am I right in thinking that won't be any good with a wifi only tablet, as you'd need to be online all the time?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.