All 4C owners take note - there is a way to make your car a super car! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ullers
  • 1 Post By lkone

(Post Link) post #1 of 24 Old 23-01-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire
All 4C owners take note - there is a way to make your car a super car!

I had a love hate relationship with my 4 C until now! Loved the concept and looks, hated the dangerous steering and race exhaust.

I ordered my car back in 2013 and took delivery exactly 1 year after I put my deposit down. When I drove it out of the show room I wondered why I had spent all that money without a test drive! The steering was nearly impossible to manage on anything but a perfectly smooth road and the exhaust drone and tone was diabolical!! To add insult to injury I paid extra for the exhaust. In my opinion the standard 4C is deeply flawed and no doubt why so many are on the market and not selling as prospective customers can now test drive them. I recognise some may like that adenolin rush trying to keep the car on the road, but not me!! However I can't see why anyone thinks the race exhaust is fit for purpose!

The pit stop programme helped the car to stay in a straight line when braking hard but still left the very twitchy, mind of its own steering and of course did nothing for the exhaust.

The really GOOD news is that I now have a truly awesome car courtesy of Alfa work shop. Jamie Porter and his team have developed and delivered a fix for these huge inadequacies and at a reasonable price. The steering is totally transformed and as good as gets for feedback, but without the wheel taking control. You can now actually hold the wheel with one hand! The exhaust was developed by Quicksilver in conjunction with Alfa Workshop and I believe mine is the first one to be fitted. Again this is truly awesome. A fantastic sound and absolutely no drone. Carbon tips and stainless construction - Brilliant. I can now actually drive the car without pussyfooting around and being worried about ending up in ditch.

I whole heartedly recommend every 4C owner to take a visit to Alfa work shop in Royston and see for themselves how their car can be transformed into real super car.

PS
Jamie can also make it go a lot faster for not a lot of money, if you feel the need for even more speed!

Last edited by Ullers; 23-01-16 at 17:19.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
So is it just a Geo setup that has been done, is the 4C not very configurable? does it require shimming etc to adjust it rather than twiddle a few bolts for toe/camber etc like on many sports cars.
AO Member

County: Milano
Interested to know steering adjustments and cost.
(Post Link) post #4 of 24 Old 24-01-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandys View Post
So is it just a Geo setup that has been done, is the 4C not very configurable? does it require shimming etc to adjust it rather than twiddle a few bolts for toe/camber etc like on many sports cars.
The standard spacers/shims are replaced and then the tracking adjusted. It really is a revelation!! They are shown on the Alfa Workshop web site
(Post Link) post #5 of 24 Old 24-01-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambrate FS View Post
Interested to know steering adjustments and cost.
Mine was priced as package, exhaust and steering - all on the Alfa Work shop web site. I believe you can also just buy the spacers and get your local garage to fit them. However, if you have the race exhaust you may want to check out the exhaust as well - that looks quite an easy fit if you have access to ramp.

I've been out in mine again today and just can't believe the difference it makes. You will have so much more confidence in the car - which may mean you go faster than you should!
Niko likes this.
SFO

County: -
OP, does your car have the racing suspension?

I drove a 2015 Coupe with racing suspension and a 2015 Spider without racing suspension, the Spider was a delight with much less waywardness.
(Post Link) post #7 of 24 Old 25-01-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFO View Post
OP, does your car have the racing suspension?

I drove a 2015 Coupe with racing suspension and a 2015 Spider without racing suspension, the Spider was a delight with much less waywardness.
It has the standard suspension. I believe the Alfa Works set up works on both standard and race suspension.
AO Member

Had my standard car done on Tuesday, it is now the car it should have been, never had the exhaust issue obviously. Covered one b road today where 60-70 previously was a white knuckle ride a b quicker shall we say

Member car:

4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullers View Post
I had a love hate relationship with my 4 C until now! Loved the concept and looks, hated the dangerous steering and race exhaust.

I ordered my car back in 2013 and took delivery exactly 1 year after I put my deposit down. When I drove it out of the show room I wondered why I had spent all that money without a test drive! The steering was nearly impossible to manage on anything but a perfectly smooth road and the exhaust drone and tone was diabolical!! To add insult to injury I paid extra for the exhaust. In my opinion the standard 4C is deeply flawed and no doubt why so many are on the market and not selling as prospective customers can now test drive them. I recognise some may like that adenolin rush trying to keep the car on the road, but not me!! However I can't see why anyone thinks the race exhaust is fit for purpose!

The pit stop programme helped the car to stay in a straight line when braking hard but still left the very twitchy, mind of its own steering and of course did nothing for the exhaust.

The really GOOD news is that I now have a truly awesome car courtesy of Alfa work shop. Jamie Porter and his team have developed and delivered a fix for these huge inadequacies and at a reasonable price. The steering is totally transformed and as good as gets for feedback, but without the wheel taking control. You can now actually hold the wheel with one hand! The exhaust was developed by Quicksilver in conjunction with Alfa Workshop and I believe mine is the first one to be fitted. Again this is truly awesome. A fantastic sound and absolutely no drone. Carbon tips and stainless construction - Brilliant. I can now actually drive the car without pussyfooting around and being worried about ending up in ditch.

I whole heartedly recommend every 4C owner to take a visit to Alfa work shop in Royston and see for themselves how their car can be transformed into real super car.

PS
Jamie can also make it go a lot faster for not a lot of money, if you feel the need for even more speed!
I have a 4C with sport suspension. It is a setting for track, but not for road.
Has anybody the setting specs for road use? How can Jaime Porter in Buckinghamshire help me in Sweden?

Member car:

4C

4C suspension settings

I have a 4C with sport suspension setting. It is a setting for track, but not for road.
Has anybody the setting specs for road use? How can Jaime Porter in Buckinghamshire help me in Sweden?
(Post Link) post #11 of 24 Old 17-03-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Bjorn, this is Jamie's web site:

http://live.alfaworkshop.co.uk/synergy/4C.php#firstPage

He has helped 4C owners in the USA, so I'm sure he will do the same for you.

Member car:

4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullers View Post
Bjorn, this is Jamie's web site:

4C by Alfaworks

He has helped 4C owners in the USA, so I'm sure he will do the same for you.
Thank you! I immediately ordered a set of adjustment spacers.
AO Member

County: essex

Member car:

Alfa 4c

taking your advice with Alfa Works

I have my 4c booked into Jamie at AlfaWorks on the 4th May
looking forward to the improvement in handling (1st service and Geo improvements)
will let you know what I think
AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillia View Post
I have my 4c booked into Jamie at AlfaWorks on the 4th May
looking forward to the improvement in handling (1st service and Geo improvements)
will let you know what I think
So you're going straight to independent for servicing from the first service? I have a year to think about this, but I was considering the same. There's not a lot of feedback about main dealer servicing and I wonder do they have the mechanics who know the 4C as well as the many other cars they service every day...
hillia likes this.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 4c

Hi, Yes I am going to an independent for the 1st service.(I have researched this subject in depth and have had a few chats with Jamie and also with Alfa Assist) For a start Jamie Porter has a grade A reputation among the Alfa community. The real bug bear with the 1st service is that we are basically being ripped off by the Alfa family (my opinion) The cheapest quote that I got was £750 and the highest was £1050 from main dealers. I also had feed back from a couple of dealers indicating that they had never worked on a 4c before and that their mechanics were not trained to work on the car. Confidence at
one point was extremely low. I recently had my car repaired by Hemel Hempstead main dealer (Palmers) who were extremely professional and helpful, but they have been the only Dealership that made me feel that way.
Anyway 1st time that I rang Alfa Assist to ask if my warranty would be void if I took the car to Alfaworks (Jamie Porter) to be serviced, the lady told me that if I was to take it there that the car would loose its warranty. I promptly rang Jamie who sent me the following link
Who can repair your car | AA
I read through the info and basically the lady that I spoke to was very close to breaking the law. Rang Alf Assist for a second time and the lady that I spoke to (without me prompting her said that I could take my 4c to any independent as long as they followed the official 4c service procedure and also used genuine Alfa Romeo parts and recommended cooling fluids etc).
You should ring Jamie to have a chat. I feel confident that he will provide me with a 1st class service and that the fruity drive will be sorted at the same time. I am taking the car to him on the 4th May, and it will be with him for a couple of days so will post my findings when complete cheers Andy
AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillia View Post
Hi, Yes I am going to an independent for the 1st service.(I have researched this subject in depth and have had a few chats with Jamie and also with Alfa Assist) For a start Jamie Porter has a grade A reputation among the Alfa community. The real bug bear with the 1st service is that we are basically being ripped off by the Alfa family (my opinion) The cheapest quote that I got was £750 and the highest was £1050 from main dealers. I also had feed back from a couple of dealers indicating that they had never worked on a 4c before and that their mechanics were not trained to work on the car. Confidence at
one point was extremely low. I recently had my car repaired by Hemel Hempstead main dealer (Palmers) who were extremely professional and helpful, but they have been the only Dealership that made me feel that way.
Anyway 1st time that I rang Alfa Assist to ask if my warranty would be void if I took the car to Alfaworks (Jamie Porter) to be serviced, the lady told me that if I was to take it there that the car would loose its warranty. I promptly rang Jamie who sent me the following link
Who can repair your car | AA
I read through the info and basically the lady that I spoke to was very close to breaking the law. Rang Alf Assist for a second time and the lady that I spoke to (without me prompting her said that I could take my 4c to any independent as long as they followed the official 4c service procedure and also used genuine Alfa Romeo parts and recommended cooling fluids etc).
You should ring Jamie to have a chat. I feel confident that he will provide me with a 1st class service and that the fruity drive will be sorted at the same time. I am taking the car to him on the 4th May, and it will be with him for a couple of days so will post my findings when complete cheers Andy
Thanks, that's very useful. Looking forward to your findings.

Member car:

4C

alfaworkshop blocks

I recently had a set of Alfaworks front suspension blocks installed without problem and with just 2 3/4 hrs work
including coffee break.
After that, the car had -2 on both wheels, thus totally 4 out.
The car was then set 2mm in, total.
You have suddenly got quite another car!
I have not tried the car on very bumpy roads, but up to now it feels promising.
Just do it!
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
Sounds a bit of an extreme change to go from so much toe out to so much toe in, that's more toe in than you get on a safely setup mx5.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 4c

Hi All, as promised I took my car into Alfa WorkShop at Royston, to have my 4c serviced and the Front Geo sorted. This may sound corny but it is a totally different car. I drove it back home to Brentwood via M11 and the drive was amazing. so much confidence in my little Alfa. Well done to Jamie\Ben and the Team.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandys View Post
Sounds a bit of an extreme change to go from so much toe out to so much toe in, that's more toe in than you get on a safely setup mx5.
The spacers adjust the thrust angle, as far as I was made aware. Transforms the feel of the car.
AO Member

County: Kent
Garage

Member car:

Alfetta GTV6/4C

Just back from the Alps in my 4C with JP's modified front steering geometry. No issues whatsoever, the only additional control required was to keep the car within the Polizei's speed limits in towns! It handles like a dream. The photo was taken at the bottom of Stelvio.

There will be no better place to be in a 4C than Southern Alfa Day on 10th September see Southern Alfa Day 2016
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9029.jpg (373.7 KB, 40 views)
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex
Don't suppose anyone wants to let me have a go in their 4C that Jamie has done so I can compare it back to back with mine?
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
I think that Jamie himself probably would if you went there and asked him.
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex
Sounds like I need to give him a call.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > 4C & 4C Spider

Tags
car , make , note , owners , super

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page