pistonheads annual review.... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 31-12-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Devon
Wink pistonheads annual review....

The 4C came 7th and these comments were made:
7 - Alfa 4C
Now here is a car we most definitely expected to be in the top most read of 2015. Since its conception, the 4C has been a car that's massively excited PH. The styling was jaw-dropping, the launch first drives were positive... then the car simply didn't work in the UK. An Italian spec model struggled on B-roads against an old Exige, and sadly the UK car in our comeback story fared little better. Nervous, fidgety and strangely uncommunicative, it simply didn't flow on the roads which characterise Britain. More frustratingly, it feels like just a few simple tweaks away from being far better.
Anyway, the combination of the badge, those looks and the hype meant this story was always going to generate plenty of views. Comments too, with 375 posted on this one story. Let's see how the Giulia gets on...

Think I'll stick with my lovely '74 GTV at half the price!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Member car:

Alfa 159 Q4

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoalex View Post
The 4C came 7th and these comments were made:
7 - Alfa 4C
Now here is a car we most definitely expected to be in the top most read of 2015. Since its conception, the 4C has been a car that's massively excited PH. The styling was jaw-dropping, the launch first drives were positive... then the car simply didn't work in the UK. An Italian spec model struggled on B-roads against an old Exige, and sadly the UK car in our comeback story fared little better. Nervous, fidgety and strangely uncommunicative, it simply didn't flow on the roads which characterise Britain. More frustratingly, it feels like just a few simple tweaks away from being far better.
Anyway, the combination of the badge, those looks and the hype meant this story was always going to generate plenty of views. Comments too, with 375 posted on this one story. Let's see how the Giulia gets on...

Think I'll stick with my lovely '74 GTV at half the price!!!
Uncommunicative Did they actually drive a 4C?
The 4C reflects every contour of the road back through the chassis, some may refer to that as fidgety but actually it's communicating back to the driver through the chassis & steering wheel what the car is feeling.
Some of us happy with the drive, i guess others may not.
AO Member

County: -
This is about the best (and most honest) review of the car I've seen. This guy absolutely gets what Alfa were aiming for with the 4C.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WVSuq56MAw
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev View Post
Uncommunicative Did they actually drive a 4C?
The 4C reflects every contour of the road back through the chassis, some may refer to that as fidgety but actually it's communicating back to the driver through the chassis & steering wheel what the car is feeling.
Some of us happy with the drive, i guess others may not.
My view is that the 4C is almost certainly set up for track use and not the road. It is quite definitely fidgety and frankly scary (not quite so bad after the Pitstop recall)! However, it remains deeply flawed in this respect, as well as the so called race exhaust which many of us paid extra for, despite it being a straight pipe and a lesser piece of kit than the standard one. Mines booked in to the Alfa workshop on the 18th, to get one of their new replacement exhausts by Quicksilver, which I'm reliably informed gets rid of the drone as well as gives a more desirable tune. I understand they also have a solution for the steering, which I'm checking out.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullers View Post
My view is that the 4C is almost certainly set up for track use and not the road. It is quite definitely fidgety and frankly scary (not quite so bad after the Pitstop recall)! However, it remains deeply flawed in this respect, as well as the so called race exhaust which many of us paid extra for, despite it being a straight pipe and a lesser piece of kit than the standard one. Mines booked in to the Alfa workshop on the 18th, to get one of their new replacement exhausts by Quicksilver, which I'm reliably informed gets rid of the drone as well as gives a more desirable tune. I understand they also have a solution for the steering, which I'm checking out.
I recently tested a 4C Spider. The sound was great, but I read that in a 4C it drones more than in a Spider.
The lightness of the front at about 140 km/h scared me. No problem with holding the steeringwheel with both hands but it felt that the car would go anywhere if I was going any faster.
AO Member

You need to drive the car for longer than a normal test drive to gain confidence in the steering. Most drivers have become so accustomed to power steering set ups which effectively filter out most of what is happening on the road surface that they tend to over compensate with the feedback through the 4C's wheel and grip it tightly. This is the worst thing you can do as it makes the car pull left or right as you go over surface imperfections. Once you trust it you only need to hold the wheel gently and let it wriggle slightly as it crosses over these bumps etc. as it will self centre itself on most of them. It does require a good deal more concentration though which is part of the charm of the car and what sets it apart from anything else. I'm going to try out the Alfa Workshop modified car mentioned by Ullers to see if it dials out or retains the character of the car. From what Jamie there has said it sounds promising.

Member car:

Alfa 159 Q4

Quote:
Originally Posted by isuk View Post
You need to drive the car for longer than a normal test drive to gain confidence in the steering. Most drivers have become so accustomed to power steering set ups which effectively filter out most of what is happening on the road surface that they tend to over compensate with the feedback through the 4C's wheel and grip it tightly. This is the worst thing you can do as it makes the car pull left or right as you go over surface imperfections. Once you trust it you only need to hold the wheel gently and let it wriggle slightly as it crosses over these bumps etc. as it will self centre itself on most of them. It does require a good deal more concentration though which is part of the charm of the car and what sets it apart from anything else. I'm going to try out the Alfa Workshop modified car mentioned by Ullers to see if it dials out or retains the character of the car. From what Jamie there has said it sounds promising.
Mine is very latest SE version, maybe the shock absorbers are slightly different from earlier versions as the handling on mine is fine
AO Member

I have a LE with the racing suspension but the shocks were changed as part of the PitStop programme for the latest version. It is much now much better than the original set up but the Alfa Workshop claim they can significantly improve it further.
AO Member

County: Milano
Quote:
I have a LE with the racing suspension but the shocks were changed as part of the PitStop programme for the latest version. It is much now much better than the original set up but the Alfa Workshop claim they can significantly improve it further.
In my brief time with the car, the steering is a bit fiddgety on bad road surfaces, but wasn't as bad has I'd imagined from reports.
AO Member

Quote:
Its no claim, its a fact, come try my car! :-)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > 4C & 4C Spider

Tags
annual , pistonheads , review

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page