Whither the 4c? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By cue2
  • 1 Post By Lambrate FS
  • 1 Post By nigethecat

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 06-12-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Whither the 4c?

From what I remember, Alfa promised to make 3,500 4cs of which 1000 were destined to stay in Europe with the UK getting 60 Launch Editions and 200 regular production cars.

We are now some way from the launch date and according to Howmanyleft (not the most reliable source I know) up to the end of June 2015, there were 52 Launch Editions on the UK roads, plus 1 or 2 SORN and 83 Production models - only 22 of which were registered in Q1 and Q2/2015 - less than one a week.

AutoTrader currently has 43 speculators cars on sale, including some new, some pre-reg and some 2nd hand. The majority of these seem to be at less than 500 miles with many on delivery miles only.

Mangoletsi even have an unregistered Launch Edition that has neverthless acquired 865 road miles! (That was some test drive on trade plates!)

In the US for the year to the end of November Alfa have sold 606 cars and demand has dropped from 97 in January to only 24 in November. (possibly seasonal and January was pent-up demand), I don't have figures for other Alfa markets, South Africa, Australia, Japan etc.

The question is, how long will it take to shift the 3500 units and how long before everyone who wanted a new 4c has got one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Just goes to show that basically a car should be of some car-like use to get it beyond a handful of sales. The same goes for the regular call for a new Alfa coupe model and hence the cancellation of the Giulia Coupe.
Just look at Lotus annual sales which probably wouldn't get much higher even if their prices came down £10000 a car.
Razor1955 likes this.
(Post Link) post #3 of 16 Old 06-12-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

The 4c has definitely sold better in Europe than in the US where it is probably perceived as too small and too harsh for a significant number of the people who can afford one. This seems to be reflected in some of the reviews that the car has had in the USA.

If Alfa are going to stick to their limit of 3500 cars then the end may already be sight because although the US has only had the car on sale for around a year, Europe managed to sell 1800 units - leaving only another 1100 cars to build (not sure if Launch Editions or Spiders were included in the original 3500).

I think what staggered me was that a third of all the UK cars are actually sitting on garage forecourts when there is still an allocation of up to 125 cars to come from Italy.

(Looking at Lotus, they are heading for sales of around 370 Elise, 300 Exige and 180 Evora. Peak sales of Elise were in 1999 with 2675 cars sold in Europe. The market, and Lotus, has been in decline ever since)
SFO

I thought the 3500 figure was the annual production limit, not the total production limit?

the excellent dealer I am dealing with says there are production slots for Spider, no waiting necessary.

Spider is expensive, starting as it does, for the basic car at £59,500
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFO View Post
I thought the 3500 figure was the annual production limit, not the total production limit?

the excellent dealer I am dealing with says there are production slots for Spider, no waiting necessary.

Spider is expensive, starting as it does, for the basic car at £59,500

3500 is what they are allowed to sell in a year, the 4c do not have to meet all new car standards like noise regulations and such if they keep the numbers down. These regulations are made for small manufacturers who dont have the funds to crash test cars and such.

If they are to build a lot more of the 4c other regulations will come into action, and we probably wouldn't have the 4c as it is today. Like the silencerless exhaust and probably more.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Still more produced than the original 4C vs. Artega GT. | IEDEI
SFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by eivindcl View Post
3500 is what they are allowed to sell in a year, the 4c do not have to meet all new car standards like noise regulations and such if they keep the numbers down. These regulations are made for small manufacturers who dont have the funds to crash test cars and such.

If they are to build a lot more of the 4c other regulations will come into action, and we probably wouldn't have the 4c as it is today. Like the silencerless exhaust and probably more.
makes sense, thanks
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
Remember too that there are still a number of 8C's still for sale with delivery mileage, which is a real shame for a car that is fast approaching ten years old.
The so-called 'saturation' of the 4C market may mean that prices will be lowered and become more affordable for the Alfa enthusiast. The 4C is only planned to be in production until 2017 so that may create a surge in interest.
SFO

there does seem to be many coupes on sale, as well as spiders (all showroom stock cars); which is surprising for a car that started to be available in the UK a month or so ago.
AO Member

County: Milano
Driving mine in a10 days, after five months or so, speculators and experts can ride the rigid digit, sono Alfisti basta cosi
eivindcl likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJohn View Post
Remember too that there are still a number of 8C's still for sale with delivery mileage, which is a real shame for a car that is fast approaching ten years old.
Really? Didn't know that. Wish my bonus for this year had an extra three noughts on the end of it - I'd buy one like a shot !
AO Member

County: Milano
Under EU low volume type approval FCA cannot sell over 1000 4C in one calender year. Regulations such as ECER121 for interior head impact still apply, but they avoid things such as pedestrian protection for head impact.
SFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambrate FS View Post
Under EU low volume type approval FCA cannot sell over 1000 4C in one calender year. Regulations such as ECER121 for interior head impact still apply, but they avoid things such as pedestrian protection for head impact.
is it 1000 in the EU or 1000 worldwide?
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFO View Post
is it 1000 in the EU or 1000 worldwide?
EU is EU, they dont rule the world.. Unless you live in Norway, which is not Eu, but still obey eu regulations because of international trade regulations.

Complex economy issues it is, which again rule the world.

Now im lost.. Anyone up for a drive?
AO Member

County: Aberdeenshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eivindcl View Post
EU is EU, they dont rule the world.. Unless you live in Norway, which is not Eu, but still obey eu regulations because of international trade regulations.

Complex economy issues it is, which again rule the world.

Now im lost.. Anyone up for a drive?
A drive to where and from where? And how do you know if you're lost ? 😄
eivindcl likes this.
AO Member

County: Aberdeenshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor1955 View Post
From what I remember, Alfa promised to make 3,500 4cs of which 1000 were destined to stay in Europe with the UK getting 60 Launch Editions and 200 regular production cars.

We are now some way from the launch date and according to Howmanyleft (not the most reliable source I know) up to the end of June 2015, there were 52 Launch Editions on the UK roads, plus 1 or 2 SORN and 83 Production models - only 22 of which were registered in Q1 and Q2/2015 - less than one a week.

AutoTrader currently has 43 speculators cars on sale, including some new, some pre-reg and some 2nd hand. The majority of these seem to be at less than 500 miles with many on delivery miles only.

Mangoletsi even have an unregistered Launch Edition that has neverthless acquired 865 road miles! (That was some test drive on trade plates!)

In the US for the year to the end of November Alfa have sold 606 cars and demand has dropped from 97 in January to only 24 in November. (possibly seasonal and January was pent-up demand), I don't have figures for other Alfa markets, South Africa, Australia, Japan etc.

The question is, how long will it take to shift the 3500 units and how long before everyone who wanted a new 4c has got one?
Why does a car for sale have to be a speculators car? I had my 4C for over a year, drove nearly 3000 miles in it and sold it for reasons other than to make money (which I didn't), this is one of the 43 cars now sat with dealers trying to sell them on at vastly inflated prices. I loved driving it and would have kept it if Alfa had been true to their word and re-introduced a dealership in Aberdeen... Some of us with 4Cs bought them because we wanted something different from a Cayman or Lotus and were previous Alfa owners so kept with brand that produces superb looking and driving cars... if only the management and customer service matched the cars..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > 4C & 4C Spider

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page