new 4c owner - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 8Likes
  • 4 Post By hillia
  • 1 Post By Trev
  • 1 Post By Thirty three
  • 1 Post By Trev
  • 1 Post By hillia

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 17-11-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: essex

Member car:

Alfa 4c

new 4c owner

Hi All,
Was wandering if anyone can help me. I have owned my 4 c for 2 weeks now and although I love the car, I have had a couple of occasions where I could not start it. The 1st occasion was that the car would not move from a standing spot, as in I engaged the gear but it was as if the hand brake was still on (although obviously it was not) the 2nd time last night was that the engine would not turn over at all (I followed the procedure, foot on brake etc) but the starter motor would not turn over. is it possible that I made a mistake eg launch mode ? I had to use my wifes car but when I came back an hour later the car started.I am feeling slightly like I have made a mistake in purchasing the car but am hoping that I am doing something wrong
cheers
Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -
Once it starts.. Drive it straight back to the dealer explaining your issues. In my opinion it sounds like a bad connection or software/electric. Bad battery?

Since the car is under warranty have them sort the issues and post back here when sorted as we are all interested.

Congrats on a fantastic car!

County: Kent
Hi,

We have had a couple of occasions with our cars that they wouldn't start because not enough pressure was being applied to the brake pedal. This happened most notably within a few minutes of the car having been switched off. So if the car had been running and switched off, when you jump back in again you have to really push the brake down. Not sure why this happens.

With regards to not moving off, never had that, had you driven it in the wet prior to stopping? Could the brakes have binded on?

Having been able to sample the 4C I am very jealous of anyone who gets to drive one regularly.

Cheers Pete
AO Member

County: Aberdeenshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Thames View Post
Hi,

We have had a couple of occasions with our cars that they wouldn't start because not enough pressure was being applied to the brake pedal. This happened most notably within a few minutes of the car having been switched off. So if the car had been running and switched off, when you jump back in again you have to really push the brake down. Not sure why this happens.

With regards to not moving off, never had that, had you driven it in the wet prior to stopping? Could the brakes have binded on?

Having been able to sample the 4C I am very jealous of anyone who gets to drive one regularly.

Cheers Pete
I'd certainly agree with the brakes binding on after they've got wet (washing the car for example), I used to leave mine with the handbrake off once it was in the garage to lessen the chance of this, discs get a sheen of rust very quickly (an excuse to take it out "to dry them off" )
(Post Link) post #5 of 21 Old 24-11-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 4c

Quote:
Originally Posted by eivindcl View Post
Once it starts.. Drive it straight back to the dealer explaining your issues. In my opinion it sounds like a bad connection or software/electric. Bad battery?

Since the car is under warranty have them sort the issues and post back here when sorted as we are all interested.

Congrats on a fantastic car!
Hi guys, thankyou for the advice. I have been in contact with Alfa at Slough (not my nearest dealership but better than the 2 x in Essex, The Dealership could sell me another 4c if required but did not have the qualified engineer to repair or service it Anyway the expert at Slough pointed out that it could have been me accidently pushing on the accelerator instead of the brake which starts a process to put the car into Launch mode)
I have driven the car several times since my last post without any problems so will keep my fingers crossed. Thank you for the very valued advice once again. cheers Andy
AO Member

County: Milano
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillia View Post
Hi guys, thankyou for the advice. I have been in contact with Alfa at Slough (not my nearest dealership but better than the 2 x in Essex, The Dealership could sell me another 4c if required but did not have the qualified engineer to repair or service it Anyway the expert at Slough pointed out that it could have been me accidently pushing on the accelerator instead of the brake which starts a process to put the car into Launch mode)
I have driven the car several times since my last post without any problems so will keep my fingers crossed. Thank you for the very valued advice once again. cheers Andy
Ive been waiting since 27th July to drive mine, 27 days to go
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Coincidentally I had the same issue at the weekend for the first time. The car has been undercover and on trickle charge in the garage for 6 weeks or so. Turned the key and nothing! Fiddled around putting in and out of gear and on 4th try it sprung into life. Pretty sure I had my foot on the brake but if it happens again I'll push harder!
(Post Link) post #8 of 21 Old 30-11-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 4c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambrate FS View Post
Ive been waiting since 27th July to drive mine, 27 days to go
Interesting that you have had the same problem. That aside I have driven the car a few times since the said episode and it is without a doubt the most thrilling car that I have ever owned.
(Post Link) post #9 of 21 Old 30-11-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 4c

weekend
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20151124-WA0000.jpg (203.1 KB, 54 views)
AO Member

Quote:
weekend
Problem solved?, 21 days until I get to drive mine.
(Post Link) post #11 of 21 Old 07-12-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 4c

Hi Lambrate, It looks like the problem has been solved. It was proberly me getting a little bit excited to drive the car and pushing all pedals
multiple times. The car is a dream to drive.I have owned 2 Lotus Elise and 2 TVR but this car is more refined. It is so comfortable driving in Town and thrilling when on the motorway. Let me know what you think of yours in 21 days. Enjoy https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/image...es/thumbup.gif

Member car:

Alfa 159 Q4

Good news for me as I pick up brand new 4c SE tomorrow. There are less than 10 4C's in New Zealand so am quite excited😄
Any last minute advice that I should be aware of that you guys can offer?

Cheers,
eivindcl likes this.
AO Member

County: -
use it!

Member car:

Alfa 159 Q4

Quote:
Hi Lambrate, It looks like the problem has been solved. It was proberly me getting a little bit excited to drive the car and pushing all pedals
multiple times. The car is a dream to drive.I have owned 2 Lotus Elise and 2 TVR but this car is more refined. It is so comfortable driving in Town and thrilling when on the motorway. Let me know what you think of yours in 21 days. Enjoy https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/image...es/thumbup.gif
Yesterday we picked up our red 4C, went for drive on rural roads and am impressed with rapid acceleration even with very light pressure on the throttle pedal. Can't wait until it is fully run in. My other car AMG A45 has same 0 to 100km/h spec time but the 4C feels much quicker even though its brand new and i've only applied light throttle pressure. I know the very light weight greatly assists the acceleration but am pleasantly surprised at how effortlessly the 4C drives.

Last edited by Trev; 03-02-16 at 04:38.
AO Member

I picked mine up on he 21st December and have done 700 miles over the Christmas period, totally smitten, I now have biceps like Arnie and a bad back having twisted it getting in or out.
AO Member

County: Kent
Garage

Member car:

Alfetta GTV6/4C

Driving a 4C, as someone said, is like hitching a saddle to a fly and riding it! Just had mine out for a sunny run down in Kent. It is a real tonic!
eivindcl likes this.

Member car:

Alfa 159 Q4

Engine doesn't turn over

I found on a few occassions that engine doesn't spin over the instant I turn the key, if I hold the key in the starting position for 2 seconds the engine will turn over and start. I suspect the electric motor that assists the oil pump needs to spin up for brief period before the engine is cranked over to start. Which explains while sometimes there is very slight delay when turning the key, plus of course you need reasonable pressure on the brake pedal.
eivindcl likes this.
AO Member

County: Oost-Vlaanderen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev View Post
I found on a few occassions that engine doesn't spin over the instant I turn the key, if I hold the key in the starting position for 2 seconds the engine will turn over and start. I suspect the electric motor that assists the oil pump needs to spin up for brief period before the engine is cranked over to start. Which explains while sometimes there is very slight delay when turning the key, plus of course you need reasonable pressure on the brake pedal.
The same in mine. Try leaving it in neutral before shutting the car off, startup after that is immediate.
(Post Link) post #19 of 21 Old 08-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 4c

Very helpful information. I will note this and try it next time but mine has been behaving for the last 6 weeks (taking it out in Essex on Sunday (Chelmsford) I have only done 1000 since October as I am always at work. Still when I do drive it it feels special every time
(Post Link) post #20 of 21 Old 08-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 4c

Problems now resolved with my 4c

Hi All,
Just a follow up to the original problems that I had with starting my 4c.
I thought that the problem had gone away but over the bank holiday weekend, it happened again. I rang Alfa Assist and in their defense an engineer
turned up at my door 1.5 hours later, which I was really impressed with. after 30 mins fiddling around with it he decided that it had to go to a Dealer
to be looked at. The car went to Alfa Romeo Dealership in Hemel Hempstead (Palmers) Turned out that the connection from the battery to the starter motor
had disconnected itself.(I would just like to say thanks to the guys at Palmers who looked after my car and have now instilled a whole load of confidence in
my car and Alfa as a brand.
I hope that this helps if anyone else has the same issues
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20151124-WA0000.jpg (203.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20160330_165148.jpg (201.8 KB, 27 views)
amclean likes this.
AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

Good to see Alfa are making an effort with customer care. I just picked up my new 4C a few days ago. Looking forward to summer and a trip or two.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > 4C & 4C Spider

Tags
owner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page