Service costs - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 14-09-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Aberdeenshire
Garage
Service costs

Anyone else been quoted wildly varying figures for a first service on a 4C ? Had quotes varying from 550 up to 800... 😁

So who is doing what and for how much? Can this be down to the experience of the master tech being able to do the work in less time or are we being overcharged for having a new car?

Wouldn't ever take mine back into Western Edinburgh after they damaged two wheels whilst they had the car for the Pit Stop programme and then tried to cover it up (can't say more as subject to potential legal action).

If anyone has a recommendation for somewhere in the north of England then I'd be pleased to hear..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigethecat View Post
Anyone else been quoted wildly varying figures for a first service on a 4C ? Had quotes varying from 550 up to 800... 😁

So who is doing what and for how much? Can this be down to the experience of the master tech being able to do the work in less time or are we being overcharged for having a new car?

Wouldn't ever take mine back into Western Edinburgh after they damaged two wheels whilst they had the car for the Pit Stop programme and then tried to cover it up (can't say more as subject to potential legal action).

If anyone has a recommendation for somewhere in the north of England then I'd be pleased to hear..
Mines booked in next week. The best quote I could get was 845 but started out at over 1,000! Apparently it's a 2 day job as they have to re torque the bolts on the CF tub. Assuming this is done, 550 sounds suspiciously cheap to me.
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 14-09-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Aberdeenshire
Garage
I'd heard that the bolts were checked during the Pit Stop (how else do they get to the suspension without taking bolts out?) so first service check is a duplication, hence the reduced cost. Blaster had his LE done for under 600 inc vat following straight on from PS. Other dealers have said they need to do it again (and charge for it!)

All seems a little suspicious to me... ��

(Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me !)
AO Member

County: -
Had mine serviced for 692 incl VAT at main dealer.
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage
Apparently 'standard' price is 800 but Piccadilly Knaresborough are doing mine for 650 inc. VAT
AO Member

County: Kent
Garage

Member car:

Alfetta GTV6/4C

Just booking a 4C service. The cost is in the 800 region and, as indicated in the thread, the time seems to be spent on re-torquing bolts on the tub. Now of course the question that must be asked is - were the bolts torqued correctly in the first place, why have the worked loose or suspected of having worked loose, and is this a build/design defect which ought correctly to be under warranty? I can't fault the car but ... if you study the service schedule in the handbook ... the words "check the vehicle fastenings" crop up at 12, 36 and 60 months. Interestingly there is only a 12 month interval from factory delivery to first service but a twenty four month interval thereafter. That says "insufficiently tight" to me.
AO Silver Member

County: -
When you torque up a fastener into steel or aluminium it is a very known thing and has been done (literally) billions of times, so you know the likely result (ie. it will not come loose). When you make a carbon fibre structure and insert steel or aluminium components (or similar) for bolting to, you are stepping more into the unknown and relying maybe on aerospace experience. In this case a manufacturer would be wise to show caution and check that critical fasteners remain tight and that nothing is unexpectedly moving or yielding over time. Once the automotive industry has more experience of composite structures I'm sure they will be better able to predict the result and not need to check this sort of thing.
AO Member

County: Vaud
When I bring in my GTA for a service they always check the fastening of the subframe. And this is on a 13 year old car. It's in the service manual and I do not complain when they do this. Better be safe than sorry I guess
AO Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

4C

Anyone got any views on their servicing experience?

I've got to put mine in shortly, and would appreciate any recommendations.

I don't think my local dealer in Bristol have ever serviced a 4C so I will be looking to take it to anywhere in a 100 mile radius with a half-decent reputation (I' favouring Alfa in Slough, as I'm up there occasionally for work).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > 4C & 4C Spider

Tags
costs , service

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page