4C Exhaust - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pud237

(Post Link) post #1 of 24 Old 13-06-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
4C Exhaust

Hi all

Wizard Exhausts are building a custom exhaust system for the 4C in August at our new premises, I was hoping to get a bit of feedback from those of you who already own 4Cs and have either the standard exhaust, the factory racing exhaust or if you've already changed your exhaust, I'd be interested to hear your comments too. What do you like most about your current exhaust, what would you most like to change about it, what do you think to the tailpipe design etc?

Cheers

Dan

Wizard Exhausts
Squadrone Rosso likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Hi all

Wizard Exhausts are building a custom exhaust system for the 4C in August at our new premises, I was hoping to get a bit of feedback from those of you who already own 4Cs and have either the standard exhaust, the factory racing exhaust or if you've already changed your exhaust, I'd be interested to hear your comments too. What do you like most about your current exhaust, what would you most like to change about it, what do you think to the tailpipe design etc?

Cheers

Dan

Wizard Exhausts
Hi Dan

As we have been in touch some time ago, you know I have the OEM Race exhaust which I dislike and in my opinion is not suitable for road use (the clue is in the name given by Alfa). The main issue is the drone when cruising at around 2,250/2,500 rpm. It's a real pain driving on motorways - with virtually every other car overtaking! It subsides over 95mph, which isn't an option of course.

I have been in touch with Pogea and Novitec (both based in Germany) who offer dual mode systems. Indeed Novitec are now ready to release theirs this week as they have just taken delivery of the valves. As these are quite pricey I don't want to make the leap without listening to them in real life and haven't had the time to visit them in Germany.

You are the expert but my guess is the only soloution to the drone (because of lack of cabin insulation) maybe dual mode?

I will be keen to see/hear your finished system when you are done.
(Post Link) post #3 of 24 Old 14-06-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

We were thinking to use a valved system too. We could have one of our resonators in place most of the time to eliminate low rpm boominess and a valve to allow gas to bypass the resonator when the valve is open.

Do you find the race system is too loud when you are going flat out, or is it only too loud when you are driving around normally and cruising on the motorway?
AO Member

County: -
it is never too loud, just the drone that can be a bit annoying when cruising at low rpm.

it's loud and it's lovely

will definately be interested in a wizard exhaust for the 4c, since i'm very happy with it on my 3.2.
(Post Link) post #5 of 24 Old 15-06-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by eivindcl View Post
it is never too loud, just the drone that can be a bit annoying when cruising at low rpm.

it's loud and it's lovely

will definately be interested in a wizard exhaust for the 4c, since i'm very happy with it on my 3.2.
Thanks, I didn't know you had a 4C as well! Congratulations

Do you have the standard exhaust or the racing exhaust at the moment?
AO Member

County: Essex
I could be interested too. I have now done around 450 miles in my 4C with the "Race" exhaust. It seems to be slightly quieter than when I first had the car and the drone at 70-85 is less. Any pressure at all on the pedal though and it becomes noisy.

Personally, I would prefer a dual exit from the centre of the car and less of a drone on light pedal pressure?
AO Member

Quote:
Thanks, I didn't know you had a 4C as well! Congratulations

Do you have the standard exhaust or the racing exhaust at the moment?
It's not exactly mine, it's my dad's LE, with the race exhaust, and he is currently trying to figure out how to pack it heading down towards Italy in a couple of days. I'm just taking care of the forum follow up and occasional sprint
(Post Link) post #8 of 24 Old 16-06-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Norway to Italy should be an epic drive!

Might be easier to courier the suitcase to the hotel in advance though

County: Staffordshire

Member car:

Alfa 4C

Mine has the standard exhaust and isn't intrusive at any speed but the road noise is. Seems to me whatever you do with the exhaust is not going to change that. I wonder if different tyres might significantly reduce the cabin noise. Anybody tried different tyres yet?
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
I have run an LE for nearly a year and cannot say that there has been a problem for me with regard to 'drone'. The noise is just great and exactly what you'd want from a car of this type. I quite often drive from Dorset to Cornwall and always enjoy the journey. The most annoying aspect his how quickly the dual ring tail pipe gets absolutely black, even just firing it up after a clean can reverse hours worth of polishing with Autosol.
It's always interesting to hear what 4C options are available though.
AO Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

4C

I have the standard exhaust, it's not obtrusive but I would say that it lacks a little character. When I give the car the beans in tunnels, for instance, I don't get the joy that I have had with previous Italian sports cars.
AO Member

Quote:
Hi all

Cheers

Dan

Wizard Exhausts
The perfect tailpipe look is the wizards stainless on my GT.

What i like the most of the 4c exhaust is the pops and burbles on up and downshifts.
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

AlfaGT JTS

Got a photo of the Wizard on the GT? I'm thinking about getting one :-)
(Post Link) post #14 of 24 Old 20-07-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthomastom View Post
Got a photo of the Wizard on the GT? I'm thinking about getting one :-)
Here you go:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GT03.jpg (62.9 KB, 62 views)
AO Member

and one from the side
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wizard.jpg (101.3 KB, 41 views)
AO Member

County: Essex
Car looks ugly compared to the 4c ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
AO Member

Member car:

GT 3.2 & 1300GTJ

Hi Dan,

Ive got a 4C with the racing exhaust. Love the sound, not so enthused about the looks. Would be great if you could do something like what Novitec has done - mainly just change the end pipes to give it a more aggressive look. However, Novitec are charging way too much for what in effect is a change in appearance - hope you can do better. Any change to the rest of the system would probably bring MOT problems, and escalate the cost.

Looking forward to seeing the result - was very happy with the back box I had on my 156 GTA SW!
(Post Link) post #18 of 24 Old 05-08-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmair View Post
Hi Dan,

Ive got a 4C with the racing exhaust. Love the sound, not so enthused about the looks. Would be great if you could do something like what Novitec has done - mainly just change the end pipes to give it a more aggressive look. However, Novitec are charging way too much for what in effect is a change in appearance - hope you can do better. Any change to the rest of the system would probably bring MOT problems, and escalate the cost.

Looking forward to seeing the result - was very happy with the back box I had on my 156 GTA SW!
You're talking about the Novitec rear section, which has more simple 4" tailpipes rather than the concentric ones which come as standard?
AO Member

Member car:

GT 3.2 & 1300GTJ

Correct. Like Eivind says - outlets similar to the 156/GT Wizard, but a bit bigger. I like the Novitec one, but they are charging an arm and a leg for a very simple system. Hoping you guys can do something similar for a better price...
AO Member

County: Milano
Can you send a PM re a possible cost? 304L SS I imagine?
(Post Link) post #21 of 24 Old 01-09-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

We've arranged a for a 4C to visit our premises later on this summer, we're going to take a look at the whole system and come up with a couple of solutions for those wanting quieter/louder etc. We'll have a clearer idea of cost when we see how many and what size bends are required, I'll let you know then. Cheers
AO Member

County: New South Wales
Alternatives to the race exhaust

Pud, have you seen the exhaust sold by Sector111? That, to me, offers the simplest solution to the drone problem. I've ordered my 4C with the standard exhaust. If it proves too quiet for the character of the car, that is the type of exhaust I'll be looking at getting. Hope you can offer a suitable alternative. Regards.
(Post Link) post #23 of 24 Old 06-09-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

I've just had a look now, looks a fairly simple setup, essentially straight through but with a Helmholtz chamber to tune out some of the boominess.
AO Member

County: New South Wales
Yep. Keeping it simple is the way to go. Got to be the lightest of the muffled versions and a straight through system as well. A valve system may be too complex in the long run and add weight too. Any moving part is bound to fail eventually, so to me the Sector111 seems the smartest solution. PS I don't work for them, just admire their solution to the problem. The only thing I don't like is the excessively large 111 cutout on the exhaust tips. They should be more subtle. With the 4C, less is more!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > 4C & 4C Spider

Tags
exhaust

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page