Evo magazine review - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Pud237
  • 1 Post By CPE
  • 2 Post By Cream
  • 2 Post By AussieAlex

(Post Link) post #1 of 22 Old 18-04-15 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Garage
Evo magazine review

A comparative review of the Audi TTS vs it's rivals. Not a great read for 4C owners. Avoid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Where?
AO Platinum Member

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

4C is not even close to being a rival for the TT... yet another pointless review
AO Platinum Member

Having just read it (massive feature in the latest EVO which just landed this morning) it isn't great reading, a 3 star review for the less track orientated version in the road version of the test against.

Audi TTS Coupe ****
BMW M235i Coupe **** and a half
Lotus Exige S *****
Nissan 370Z Nismo **** and a half
Peugeot RCZ R **** and a half
Porsche Cayman 2.7 *****
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
I thought the new 2-ers were supposedly crap and the latest M's somewhat underwhelming? TT's are just tart tat as are those Pugs.

EVO giving anything with a Porsche badge 5 stars is a real shock. I'm sure if they rebadged a Caddy van with a Wiessach label and stiffer suspension they'd claim it was the next best thing since sliced bread.
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

Bit harsh on the RCZ R Jim, supposed to be very good
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greener123 View Post
Bit harsh on the RCZ R Jim, supposed to be very good
Really good or just less anodyne than the pretty but fluffy coupe?
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

Dunno, you'll have to ask 100th idiot... He's just bought one
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post
I thought the new 2-ers were supposedly crap and the latest M's somewhat underwhelming? TT's are just tart tat as are those Pugs.

EVO giving anything with a Porsche badge 5 stars is a real shock. I'm sure if they rebadged a Caddy van with a Wiessach label and stiffer suspension they'd claim it was the next best thing since sliced bread.

Jim you're getting very cynical, pretty much everyone that drives the Porsche Cayman says it's a revelation in poise and driver involvement. Ask GTLeigh, he's just replaced his m3 with one (lucky bugger)
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Jim you're getting very cynical, pretty much everyone that drives the Porsche Cayman says it's a revelation in poise and driver involvement. Ask GTLeigh, he's just replaced his m3 with one (lucky bugger)
Anyone who reads EVO regularly knows they heavily favour Porsche. It's almost a standing joke before eCoTY that "Porsche wins". Almost all of last month's issue was dedicated to the brand. That doesn't mean I'm entirely cynical about the product- more about the automotive media. I like a lot of Porsches tbh. I do believe the Cayman is a very good car, as it happens.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4SV

yeah the 4C gets panned in that review

ive been a subscriber to evo for years, but im board of it these days, maybe Porsche are the best cars ever, im very unlikely to be able to afford to own one

evo used to do reviews of cars and describe the way they drove, they seem to have lost this
AO Platinum Member

The only Porsche I've driven was a 89 Carrera 4 and it was brilliant, at the time (about 5 years ago) it put most modern cars i've driven to shame.

I can't imagine what a modern Porsche must be like to drive if they've continued to make them better and better.

That and a passenger experience in a 911 rally car, firmly put Porsche on my radar after years of not being that bothered.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
The track times surprised me the most
(Post Link) post #14 of 22 Old 20-04-15 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Garage
I would have switched the Cayman and the Exige in the lap times, but pretty much as expected otherwise. The EVO team do drive Caymans a lot and no doubt are very adept at throwing it around a track.

The biggest gripe we hear with the 4C (and I've not driven one, but I do have a GQV with a similar engine) IS the engine. It is not nice. Don't care what anyone says it's a bloody big disappointment after a busso. By all accounts the car would have been better as a manual too.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
From a technical point of view its a very good engine, but you're right it is a bit of a disappointment when compared to other engines available in this price of car. 6 cylinder engines just have so much more character.
Oggy_GTA likes this.
CPE
AO Member

County: East Ayrshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy_GTA View Post
The biggest gripe we hear with the 4C (and I've not driven one, but I do have a GQV with a similar engine) IS the engine. It is not nice. Don't care what anyone says it's a bloody big disappointment after a busso. By all accounts the car would have been better as a manual too.

I disagree with this, apart from wanting (but on the road not needing) more power, i don't find it disappointing at all. it revs quickly, sounds good, and I love the gearbox and think it suits the car perfectly.

Ive driven the G QV too, and I felt underwhelmed with it, and it seems very different in that, maybe the extra weight dulls it down.

The silky smoothness and sound of a Busso would be very nice, but at the expense of extra weight of a heavier engine and other upgrades to cope with that? Im not convinced. I think thats the realms of the 6C in the future. I hope Alfa do produce one.
Oggy_GTA likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4SV

evo is supposed to be about the 'thrill of driving', nothing much thrilling in the whole article, even the winning Porsche didn't sound like anything special. maybe i should read it again.

However if a 4c owner gives the review above, maybe people should just ignore the magazine

maybe the car is far more special and car reviews just dont get it.

the 4c looks like the future to me, the likes of the cayman is in the past
Oggy_GTA and CPE like this.
AO Member

County: Stockholm
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPE View Post
I disagree with this, apart from wanting (but on the road not needing) more power, i don't find it disappointing at all. it revs quickly, sounds good, and I love the gearbox and think it suits the car perfectly.

Ive driven the G QV too, and I felt underwhelmed with it, and it seems very different in that, maybe the extra weight dulls it down.

The silky smoothness and sound of a Busso would be very nice, but at the expense of extra weight of a heavier engine and other upgrades to cope with that? Im not convinced. I think thats the realms of the 6C in the future. I hope Alfa do produce one.
Pretty sure I read a rumour going around the other week that Alfa might be putting their new 480bhp 2.9L twin-turbo V6 (derived from the 3.0L Maserati/Ferrari engine) in the final series of the 4C.....though personally I don't see that happening. Maybe in a 6C as you said. But it would be fantastic to see an engine that powerful in such a light car. Even with the heavier block and ancillaries it would seriously move. But sadly I think Alfa won't give that option on the 4C But the engine is definitely coming to a 2016 mid-sized Alfa being announced in June/July this year.

In regards to the comparison with the Cayman S and the Cayman winning. It doesn't really surprise me. Almost every comparison I have seen and read has suggested as such given that the Cayman is faster, more refined, and a better every day car. The only real bonus marks I have seen for the 4C vs Cayman S are in regards to the looks and the fact that the 4C feels more like a classic sport car due to the lack of power steering and the way in generally gets around the track. But overall I think the 4C is somewhat gimped by its engine and it would have been nice to see a little more power, even an extra 30bhp would have been enough to help it hold its own. Don't get me wrong, I would buy a 4C in a heart beat if I had the $120k to get one, but there is no denying the Cayman S is a seriously good car. Maybe not 5 stars? But from everything I have ever read or heard, they are a staggeringly good car and we can't let the love of Alfa get in the way of giving the Cayman S the respect it deserves.
Oggy_GTA and CPE like this.

Current
2000 Alfa 156 Sportwagon 2.0 TS CF3

Previous
2002 Alfa GTV 2.0 TS CF3
1983 Porsche 944
AO Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
Pretty sure I read a rumour going around the other week that Alfa might be putting their new 480bhp 2.9L twin-turbo V6 (derived from the 3.0L Maserati/Ferrari engine) in the final series of the 4C.....though personally I don't see that happening.

In regards to the comparison with the Cayman S and the Cayman But overall I think the 4C is somewhat gimped by its engine and it would have been nice to see a little more power, even an extra 30bhp would have been enough to help it hold its own.
I very much doubt the current Ghibli lump would fit in the 4C, and its extra weight would probably unbalance the car and, moreover, be somewhat against the principal design ethos of minimising weight. I find the car plenty fast enough (0-60 in 4.2 secs in launch mode), but if I want more then I know a tuner who can give me an extra 60 bhp for around $500.
AO Member

County: Stockholm
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa sod View Post
I very much doubt the current Ghibli lump would fit in the 4C, and its extra weight would probably unbalance the car and, moreover, be somewhat against the principal design ethos of minimising weight. I find the car plenty fast enough (0-60 in 4.2 secs in launch mode), but if I want more then I know a tuner who can give me an extra 60 bhp for around $500.
Oh I too doubt it would ever get put in the 4C just mentioning that I saw it suggested somewhere about 3-4 weeks ago (can't for the life of me find it now though). I don't think it would necessarily unbalance the car given that its a mid-engine and with some clever suspension and differential work it shouldn't be too much of a challenge (fitting the block in such a small space would be.....). And seeing as the V6 is almost twice the power output of the current TBi and would probably only weigh an extra 50-70kg (guessing here) I wouldn't think it would necessarily go against the ethos of the 4C. Though much more likely to be present in a 4C replacement than ever see the light of day on the 4C option list.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Exige for me all the way
AO Member

County: Western Australia

Member car:

4C LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
Pretty sure I read a rumour going around the other week that Alfa might be putting their new 480bhp 2.9L twin-turbo V6 (derived from the 3.0L Maserati/Ferrari engine) in the final series of the 4C.....though personally I don't see that happening.
Ummm.. that would make it a 6C

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > 4C & 4C Spider

Tags
evo , magazine , review

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page