4C Depreciation - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 29 Old 03-03-15 Thread Starter
AO Detailing Car Of The Year Winner 2015

County: West Midlands
4C Depreciation

I know the 4C will hold it's price so long as Alfa limit demand, but wonder what realistic prices will be in a few years time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
To most, they are a commodity rather than a means of fun transport.

I can't see supply going mad so they should stay stable as in there or thereabouts.
AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
I reckon 40-60% drop in 4 yrs.
(Post Link) post #4 of 29 Old 03-03-15 Thread Starter
AO Detailing Car Of The Year Winner 2015

County: West Midlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by EauRouge View Post
I reckon 40-60% drop in 4 yrs.
I think you might not be far off with 40%. I was thinking closer to 30%...

That seems a fair depreciation rate compared to the Porsche Cayman.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Someone needs to do a spreadsheet, checking all the common selling sites such as Autotrader, ebay, pistonheads, and noting age/mileage/price of each car for sale. Done weekly, you could quickly work out what the depreciation trend is going to be.
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
Mine is firmly in the fun transport category, it will have been on the road one year at the end of this month and as far as I can see from Pistonheads has so far suffered zero depreciation.
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex
Look at the lotus exige. That has held it's price very well. At 10 years old they are only just getting close to the 20K mark.

I would expect it to be a very stable car residually.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Someone needs to do a spreadsheet, checking all the common selling sites such as Autotrader, ebay, pistonheads, and noting age/mileage/price of each car for sale. Done weekly, you could quickly work out what the depreciation trend is going to be.
Depends if Alfa is careful in supporting residuals . Audi and BMW have a policy of buying cars that are advertised too low in those places priced as they spoil the image. They supported the Mito quite well for three years ,keeping them in the system but it did not benefit after that as the "update" was not very visible.
AO Member

County: -
Another vote for the minimal depreciation camp.

A lot going for it. Small numbers. Carbon fiber tub. Sub 5 sec 0-100.

Wouldn't expect it to lose much value in 3-5 years time.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
As Quentin Wilson used to say, depreciation should be "glacially slow".
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJohn View Post
Mine is firmly in the fun transport category, it will have been on the road one year at the end of this month and as far as I can see from Pistonheads has so far suffered zero depreciation.
My 4C also falls in the fun category, but I think we are deluding ourselves if we really believe there has been no depreciation. As far as I can see these second hand cars have been on the market for months and are not selling (look at the trees in the ads - they still have leaves on them!). My guess is that if we wanted to sell we would have to take at least a 10% hit. Still pretty good compared to my BMW 5GT which I bought for over 30% below list price after 1 year with 7000 miles on the clock.

The only way to avoid depreciation with any new car is to never sell. Alternatively buy a classic!
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullers View Post
My 4C also falls in the fun category, but I think we are deluding ourselves if we really believe there has been no depreciation. As far as I can see these second hand cars have been on the market for months and are not selling (look at the trees in the ads - they still have leaves on them!). My guess is that if we wanted to sell we would have to take at least a 10% hit. Still pretty good compared to my BMW 5GT which I bought for over 30% below list price after 1 year with 7000 miles on the clock.

The only way to avoid depreciation with any new car is to never sell. Alternatively buy a classic!
The only reason why they are not selling is because a load of traders are selling them at a silly premium. They did exactly the same with the 8C too and those ones sat around for ages.
AO Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationAlfa View Post
The only reason why they are not selling is because a load of traders are selling them at a silly premium. They did exactly the same with the 8C too and those ones sat around for ages.
Exactly. The traders will sit on them for as long as they need to. Some punter will eventually turn up, be taken in by the sales banter and buy it up. The car is also a great pulling tool for the garage: stick it somewhere prominent and, presto, your forecourt is full of goggle-eyed customers.

Having rubbed shoulders with Maserati owners over the years, I know that there are buyers out there who don't really do their homework on car prices, and will spend on a car what they want. I have seen buyers and sellers who, despite being far from rich, will forego 4 or 5 grand on a sale or purchase through sheer laziness. That's a year's savings to many of us.

In short, I would say don't underestimate how stupid people can be when buying or selling cars.
AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

4C Mentioned in Classic Cars Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post
As Quentin Wilson used to say, depreciation should be "glacially slow".
Nearly; in February 2015 'Classic Cars' magazine on page 24, Quentin Willson has a section entitled "Classic on the Cusp", with a sub heading "with such performance for so little who needs a Ferrari".

He goes on in some detail as to how much he likes the car, for example "....whenever I drive Alfa's blindingly quick 160mph 4C I'm half a hour early for everything. The combination of a feather-light composite body tub, turbo, alloy 1750 engine and a steering set-up so communicative it make you laugh out loud has made this the best Alfa for decades..."
"...as a back road banshee it's incredible..." "...mid-range heave is awesome..." "...I can see the 4C holding its value well if not gently appreciating..."

He finishes with "...If I had a blank cheque and had to choose the best track day car on the market today, it wouldn't be a Ferrari or McLaren, it would be this Alfa. Yes, it really is that good..."
AO Member

County: -
In a sphere where most motoring journalists compare the 4C to the Cayman, extolling the superior traits of the latter over the former, that is some review for the 4C.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Quote:
Look at the lotus exige. That has held it's price very well. At 10 years old they are only just getting close to the 20K mark.

I would expect it to be a very stable car residually.
I have an Elise, the Exige is seen as more track focused and is holding up well because when Lotus brought out the new model with the V6 they priced it 20k over the 4cyl model, also they only hold their value really well if they are low mileage, anything over 35k miles is considered to be high mileage in Exige circles and I can see the same with the 4C, high mileage will kill values.

The 4c will probably do well depreciation wise if they aren't specced up too high and kept below 30k miles.

Last edited by tony44; 05-03-15 at 20:04.
AO Member

Member car:

4C

I can't see myself selling my 4C for a few years, it's just got too much character. I'm just going to drive it as much as I can. If it gets a few miles on the clock, and the value falls, so be it. I may lose a few quid but I'll go to my grave with more happy automotive memories!
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa sod View Post
I can't see myself selling my 4C for a few years, it's just got too much character. I'm just going to drive it as much as I can. If it gets a few miles on the clock, and the value falls, so be it. I may lose a few quid but I'll go to my grave with more happy automotive memories!

Once I move to the next place with a garage (in my first house at present with limited parking) then the 4C is on the cards
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa sod View Post
It's there to be driven and to enjoy
AO Silver Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
if i owned a 4c it would be worthless cause i would not sell it, my spider mm falls into that category,its a keeper
AO Member

County: Queensland
I hope the arse falls out of them so I can afford one
*i'mjustjealous*
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:

Once I move to the next place with a garage (in my first house at present with limited parking) then the 4C is on the cards
Thought you were after a C63
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_m67 View Post
I hope the arse falls out of them so I can afford one
*i'mjustjealous*
I'll second that !!! Hope you all lose a fortune in the next 5 years haha
AO Member

Member car:

4C

Not that I especially care about the residuals, but I can't see them losing a huge amount in value.

Simple supply and demand: quite a few people would like to have one, but the available numbers will always be low due to AR's production approach.
AO Member

County: Milano
Mine arrives in 9 months or so, unless Sergio thinks team America needs more

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > 4C & 4C Spider

Tags
depreciation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page