4C race Exhaust - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 08-02-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire
4C race Exhaust

I have one major complaint with my 4C - the 'race' exhaust. It's fine when on and off the gas but cruising at 70/80ish results in a very annoying boom/drone. You can drive through it, but that would undoubtedly result in loosing a licence to drive! Others have reported the same on 4C forums, so it's not just me.

I will be exploring a couple of options, the Wizard exhaust from Autolusso and Akrapovic which is already in production but OEM. I have been in touch with Mulgari (Akrapovic dealers) and they are trying to get some sense out of Alfa UK - it may be a while! I want to make an informed (and the right) decision as I'm sure it's not going to be a cheap upgrade. In the meantime any advice or observations from others would be much appreciated. Has anyone else already changed their exhaust?

My advice to others ordering new cars, is to save your money and forget the race exhaust option unless you are going to race!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullers View Post
I have one major complaint with my 4C - the 'race' exhaust. It's fine when on and off the gas but cruising at 70/80ish results in a very annoying boom/drone. You can drive through it, but that would undoubtedly result in loosing a licence to drive! Others have reported the same on 4C forums, so it's not just me.

I will be exploring a couple of options, the Wizard exhaust from Autolusso and Akrapovic which is already in production but OEM. I have been in touch with Mulgari (Akrapovic dealers) and they are trying to get some sense out of Alfa UK - it may be a while! I want to make an informed (and the right) decision as I'm sure it's not going to be a cheap upgrade. In the meantime any advice or observations from others would be much appreciated. Has anyone else already changed their exhaust?

My advice to others ordering new cars, is to save your money and forget the race exhaust option unless you are going to race!
Do you mean an Akrapovic system may sometime be an option to order when new? As I've just ordered a 4C with the race pack, this has made me think a bit...if this future exhaust option is true, maybe I could get in an amendment...
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 08-02-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

I'm told by the guys at Mulgari they saw a 4C exhaust being manufactured at the Akrapovic factory on a recent visit. They were told it was destined to be OEM, so I guess, they will be an option from new. Just been out in mine today and the exhaust is a real problem when cruising, so something has to be done!
AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

Quote:
I'm told by the guys at Mulgari they saw a 4C exhaust being manufactured at the Akrapovic factory on a recent visit. They were told it was destined to be OEM, so I guess, they will be an option from new. Just been out in mine today and the exhaust is a real problem when cruising, so something has to be done!
Interesting thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
AO Member

County: Noord Holland

Member car:

Alfa 159 2.2 jts

Quote:
The new Megane rs 275 has an Akrapovic exhaust as standard/OEM delivered as well. From what I've read on another forum is that it was given "free" by Akrapovic a number of months after the 275 went on sale, apparentley as part of the agreement between the two company's.

Maybe the Akrapovic exhaust for the 4C will folow the same path.
AO Member

County: Warwickshire
Isn't the Akrapovic exhaust already announced as an option on the new 4C Spider?

I would have thought it's only a matter of time before it will be offered for the coupe too.
(Post Link) post #7 of 9 Old 09-02-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Yes it will be an option on the Spider so it should follow it will also be available on the Coupe. Alfas press release mentions the Akrapovic option reduces drone in the cabin. So Alfa seem to be aware of the issue with their original race exhaust, yet bizarrely they continue to offer it at an extra cost option!
AO Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

4C

Quote:
Good advice. I like to be able to do early starts without destroying my neighbours' peace and quiet, so went for the 'ordinary' exhaust, despite the incredulous look from the dealer who wondered why I didn't want to hear the 4C in all its glory. Well, it's a 4 pot engine, so any more noise is just going to be boom, really!

Similarly, prospective buyers should work out whether they really want/need the racing suspension. Once it is in, you ain't swapping it out! I find the ride really good on the standard suspension, much better than I thought it would be.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:

It may be possible for us to add quarterwave pipes to your existing exhaust to reduce the drone. Its something we've done before on the Alfa 147 GTA and also other makes/models of car. I'd need to take a look at the car, see what space is available.

Or of course, change the whole thing for a better designed system. There are many constraints on a production car to meet type approvals and noise limits, you can generally make a much better system without having to consider these limitations.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > 4C & 4C Spider

Tags
exhaust , race

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page