Depressing reading - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 26 Old 04-12-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Milano
Depressing reading

Looking on piston heads amongst 14 cars for sale 0 mileage cars being offered by the likes of Romans and Veloces , Alfas vetting process may have been flawed. Mean time serial buyers suffer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Even Thames Fiat have one . And it's "Last one! 2000 off"
http://www.thamesmotorgroup.co.uk/al...alfa-romeo-4c/
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

A Tiny Abarth

Id be surprised if more than 20% of them are on the road. I don't now how many made it to the UK market, but I've seen at least 20 different launch editions for sale by dealers who want a few grand above RRP.
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
Even Thames Fiat have one . And it's "Last one! 2000 off"
Used Cars - 2014 Alfa Romeo 4C Launch Edition 1.75 TBi TCT Matte Carrara White
Pretty sure the 'reduced' price is still above list! There have been a couple at or below list on Autotrader so those expecting a premium will be disapointed.

My theory is that there are quite a few owners selling because the 4C is not what they expected. There have no doubt been a few speculators as well. As an owner I can say it's certainly a special car but in no way easy or comfortable to drive and quite 'mad' to be frank! I also predict it will become a collectors car as I can't see it having a long production run. Its already evident demand has been satisfied in the UK with a choice of 13 or 14 available for the last 3 months and not selling. What will the Americans make of it?!
AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
Anybody who speculates on a mainstream Alfa is foolish in my opinion as they are not 8C's they are Porsche Boxter/Cayman cars and the choice in that sector is huge. Anybody who is familar with Alfa knows they depreciate like a stone in the first 5-10 years. Another factor is the Global recession.
AO Platinum Member

Boxster and Cayman are more usable day to day than the 4C which may be why there are speculator cars being joined by those from people who mistook the Alfa for a mere car. A car built the way Maserati and Adler build the 4C is hardly " mainstream" ?
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
Boxster and Cayman are more usable day to day than the 4C which may be why there are speculator cars being joined by those from people who mistook the Alfa for a mere car. A car built the way Maserati and Adler build the 4C is hardly " mainstream" ?
Exactly - a Boxster is a Limo compared to a 4C. The motoring press are to blame with all those reviews comparing the 4C to a Cayman/Boxster. Just goes to show they may be journalists but know nothing about cars! The most accurate review was by Chris Evans. The only similarity is the price point.
AO Member

County: New South Wales
In a perfect world wouldn't it be nice if Fiat/Alfa checked or verified previous Alfa ownership details over the past 30 years or so to ensure the first owners of 4Cs are dedicated Alfisti. After all, they did it for the 8C to ensure they went to previous Ferrari owners. I truly wish a nasty surprise on all speculators. A pox on them all. And yes, this little rant is a result of sour grapes, as by the time I found Alfa were taking orders they had closed their books. Bought a Multiair to amuse me in the meantime. As of a couple of weeks ago their books were still closed to new orders here in Oz with first deliveries of cars ordered 2 years ago occurring sometime in early 2015. How fortunate you are in the UK to at least have cars in the country.

Last edited by ALFAGUY147; 06-12-14 at 01:10.
(Post Link) post #9 of 26 Old 06-12-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Milano
The excuse for getting rid so soon after delivery of its too uncompromising makes no sense to me, your buying a car with two seats nothing in the way of creature comforts and your disappointed its a bit raw? The supply situation is further compounded by Sergio giving the cars away in the USA before satisfying demand in established markets.
AO Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

4C

Would agree with most of the comments on here.

The 4C is a difficult drive compared to the relative comfort of the Cayman/Boxster, particularly at low speeds and around roundabouts (paddles attached to steering wheel, shunty change from 3rd to 2nd, reluctance of car to change from 2nd to 3rd).

My dealership gave me a heavy vetting before selling to me, so fair play to them for wanting to sell to an enthusiast rather than a speculator.

There will always be speculators on Limited Edition cars, and this even carries over into the 2nd hand market (I've been 'gazumped' twice before in this regard). I can't see many of these speculators making a killing though on the 4C (5K profit max?) so I do wonder just who they are, and whether some of it is organised across several purchases.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
I've beenthinking of getting a smaller sports car for a while, the XF is an itch I wanted to scratch, I have had a look at the new Cayman and it's a great little car in so many ways.

It feels solid, and the materials quality, fit and finish is up there with the best. I haven't driven one yet but from what I have read it is not a dissapointing car nor one that is difficult to live with.

I also think it looks fantastic in second gen trim.

The one I had a look at had an optional sports steering wheel in alcantara where the central boss was a chunk of polished alloy, cold and weighty feeling, it felt special. It's a car I could certainly live with as a daily driver, the 4C looks fantastic and I'd love to drive one... just not every day.

Nero Fuoco 147 Lusso - Bianco Nuvola 147 GTA - Carbonio Brera SV - Azzurro Le Mans GT 1600 Junior
AO Member

Member car:

4C

Yeah, 4C isn't a comfortable every day car. That's why I've got my Abarth, which is excellent in that role.

4C + Abarth 500 = cost of a Cayman, probably, maybe a little over.

I'm not a Porsche fan, but I have to admit that the new Cayman does look good.
AO Member

County: Leicestershire

Member car:

fiat Punto

Nice choice of wheels
AO Member

Member car:

4C

Loving my 4C ever more as I get used to its foibles. Never had a car that turns so many heads, and I've had some half-decent ones before ...
AO Member

County: Leicestershire

Member car:

fiat Punto

Nice to hear from you.
I am running an auction on ebay that might interest yourself.
I shall post a link.
It's running out on Tues at 7:00 AM. i.e Tomorrow
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo...item4ae22687cb
AO Member

Member car:

4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin76 View Post
Nice to hear from you.
I am running an auction on ebay that might interest yourself.
I shall post a link.
It's running out on Tues at 7:00 AM. i.e Tomorrow
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo...item4ae22687cb
Thanks for the heads-up.

I'm a male owner, so it's not all that appealing to me!
AO Silver Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
its nice to hear from someone who bought a 4c ,and kept it
AO Member

Member car:

4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa 4 ever View Post
its nice to hear from someone who bought a 4c ,and kept it
Yeah. It's sad to think how many 4C's (and 8C's) aren't getting driven due to their owners having bought them for reasons other than driving them.
AO Platinum Member

Have you still got the Maser?
AO Member

Member car:

4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
Have you still got the Maser?
No, I sold it about 18 months ago as I was working abroad a bit more than I am now and it wasn't getting driven. Also, it was getting unaffordable for me: fuel prices were nearer 1.50/gallon, and nowhere locally would give me a minor service for a reasonable price.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa sod View Post
No, I sold it about 18 months ago as I was working abroad a bit more than I am now and it wasn't getting driven. Also, it was getting unaffordable for me: fuel prices were nearer 1.50/gallon, and nowhere locally would give me a minor service for a reasonable price.
Yeah, 6000 mile service schedule puts me off a bit, I'd be having it serviced twice a year or more. I looked at the Jaguar XK and thats 10,000.

Cayman is 20,000 I believe, another reason it is so attractive.
AO Silver Member

County: Oxfordshire
Just had a quick look on AutoTrader. 15 4Cs for sale currently, half with under 1000 miles, and nearly all of them outside the Alfa Dealer Network.

Something's gone ti*s up somewhere. Tbh I think Alfa should buy them back off these dealers & offer them for sale themselves, perhaps through the official network to customers currently waiting for their car because some swine has lied about their intentions for the car which has now ended up on a used car forecourt.

It's a bad show when a genuine Alfa fan gets dumped lower down the list than someone trying to make a quick buck or just have a car for a month to try it out
AO Member

Member car:

4C

Alfa Romeo UK were supposed to follow up with calls to the owners to ensure they were 'genuine' buyers.

I personally never got that call.

However, I'm not sure what AR can legally do; once you purchase an item you are, AFAIK, entirely within your rights to sell it on whenever you want.

I've not seen a 4C on the road to date, which is pretty disappointing and bears out the belief that they are being accrued by speculators.
AO Silver Member

County: Oxfordshire
Doesn't surprise me about ARUK. My dealings with the Italian side of the operation, and the dealers, has been a fair to positive experience, if a little muddled. The UK HQ side of it was ok a few years ago but when I needed to speak to them last year on two occasions, they couldn't get me off the phone quick enough. I get better customer service from Department for Work & Pensions than I got off Alfa UK. That's possibly being unfair on DWP but you probably see where I'm coming from.

I've seen one 4C in the local dealer awaiting collection, but that's it, so I think you're on the right track

I did see an 8C on the M40 a few months back though. Nearly wee'd myself when I saw that coming up the outside of me early one morning
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa sod View Post
Alfa Romeo UK were supposed to follow up with calls to the owners to ensure they were 'genuine' buyers.

I personally never got that call.

However, I'm not sure what AR can legally do; once you purchase an item you are, AFAIK, entirely within your rights to sell it on whenever you want.

I've not seen a 4C on the road to date, which is pretty disappointing and bears out the belief that they are being accrued by speculators.
I reckon it's easy for them to google people and check out linked-in etc to find obvious speculators !
Damien Day , who ran Alfa UK , got where he was via being an 8C customer ambassador-type person . According to his Linked-in profile. Not sure if the concierge set-up was repeated on the 4C then ?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > 4C & 4C Spider

Tags
depressing , reading

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page