Cautionary tale-be careful out there! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 29-10-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Cry Like A Baby Cautionary tale-be careful out there!

Everyone be aware of mobile speed camera vans as they can catch you out too easily!
Sort of expected to see one on a local 60mph road so drove "carefully" and right enough spotted one half a mile off. Slowed slightly to definitely well below 60 and passed it then after several hundred yards relaxed and allowed speed to rise I thought gently. However just as I passed from his sight I was clocked at 76 which I barely believed.
Went to see the video playback and right enough-caught!
The operator probably tried harder to catch me because it was an italian sports car and apparently they listen out for the exhaust notes of cars to determine targets also----4C sports exhaust!
Be aware that the vans not only can look backwards to get you coming towards them but if they want to they will film you after you pass. The increase in speed caught me out as I was still doing 60 nearly 400 metres after the van but up to 76 only 100 metres further on. It accelerates quickly even when not trying!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Chisinau
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster View Post
Everyone be aware of mobile speed camera vans as they can catch you out too easily!
Sort of expected to see one on a local 60mph road so drove "carefully" and right enough spotted one half a mile off. Slowed slightly to definitely well below 60 and passed it then after several hundred yards relaxed and allowed speed to rise I thought gently. However just as I passed from his sight I was clocked at 76 which I barely believed.
Went to see the video playback and right enough-caught!
The operator probably tried harder to catch me because it was an italian sports car and apparently they listen out for the exhaust notes of cars to determine targets also----4C sports exhaust!
Be aware that the vans not only can look backwards to get you coming towards them but if they want to they will film you after you pass. The increase in speed caught me out as I was still doing 60 nearly 400 metres after the van but up to 76 only 100 metres further on. It accelerates quickly even when not trying!
They may work "after" the van, but are they licensed to do that? I mean they have a certificate for the radar, does it mention that radar is able to measure speed of the vehicle that is driving away from it, not towards. If not, their evidence is illigal.

BTW, are radar-detectors legal in UK?
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

A Tiny Abarth

Was it a handheld radar? If so, those only have an allowed range of 500m - if you were beyond this (you can check this based on timing in the video and your estimated speed) the ticket will be invalid.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

76 in a 60 zone and accelerated right after passing the camera ...thanks, I will be careful but I'll stick to the speed limit in the first place
AO Member

County: Essex
76 in a 60 zone whether in front of or behind a camera is just stupidity in it's finest. Cameras aren't there to remind you to slow down from a speed in excess of the limit. Had a pedestrian been killed by the OP then a jail sentence would have been imposed. What more to be said.
AO Platinum Member

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3yls View Post
76 in a 60 zone and accelerated right after passing the camera ...thanks, I will be careful but I'll stick to the speed limit in the first place
Quote:
Originally Posted by foordie1 View Post
76 in a 60 zone whether in front of or behind a camera is just stupidity in it's finest. Cameras aren't there to remind you to slow down from a speed in excess of the limit. Had a pedestrian been killed by the OP then a jail sentence would have been imposed. What more to be said.
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3yls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by foordie1 View Post
Wait. what? You guys actually stick to the speed limit
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perreby_83 View Post
Wait. what? You guys actually stick to the speed limit
Isn't that crazy? I can't imagine why. Hold on.......

SA ranked worst out of 36 in global road safety report | News | National | Mail & Guardian
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Wait what...I thought Alfas were for petrol heads!? What's gone wrong??

I don't believe anybody completely sticks to the speed limit, unless your coming to the end of your driving life, in which most cases drive too much under it which is just as bad!

I know this is besides the point, but I bet a 4C can brake far quicker from 76-0 than most everyday cars can brake 60-0! It's the idiots doing 60 in a built up 30/40 zone which is dangerous, not those opening it a little on the open road.

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]

2012 Alfa MiTo QV: Sabelt Seats, climate control, rear tinted windows, K&N induction, LED interior+number plate lights, LED rear turn signals, 5000k DRL's, alfa accessory gear knob, 16mm wheel spacers. More to come...

rhett71

Speed camera's in the uk are purely to raise revenue based upon car performances from the 1960's. If the government was truly into speed reduction they would not allow the sale of cars that can break the speed limit!The faster you go the more you help the government pay the bills they can't balance!! They stopped guns the day after Dunblane and who do they think they are kidding now?

AO Member

County: Aberdeenshire
Garage
Blaster, where was this? Not on the A92 by any chance? Just so I know where to look!
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
Speed cameras are cropping up everywhere, what gets my goat is the cynical way they position a lot of them at the bottom of hills, often just after a bend in the road.
Personally cannot see what that has to do with speed reduction, so easy to be caught out in those circumstances.
IMO its tailgating that's far more dangerous and a cause of serious accidents but police don't seem to concerned by that, 4 police cars seen in close formation at motorway speeds recently proves its low on their priorities
(Post Link) post #13 of 21 Old 02-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigethecat View Post
Blaster, where was this? Not on the A92 by any chance? Just so I know where to look!
No on the A933 but the vans can be anywhere in our county
Just to answer peoples objections of my speed in a 60 limit,it was on an open country road and I had no intention of doing even near to 70 , but the car picked up speed quicker than anticipated at that point and I slowed down after I was aware that I had overdone it
However I do not believe that anyone that owns or would like to own a 4C will never break a limit at least a bit when it is so obviously safe to do so in comparison to some of the lunatic driving you see on the roads
(Post Link) post #14 of 21 Old 02-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Anyway just spent the weekend doing 350 miles on some of the quietest and best driving roads in Scotland and hardly ever was near to the speed limit-honest
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Anyway just spent the weekend doing 350 miles on some of the quietest and best driving roads in Scotland and hardly ever was near to the speed limit-honest
CPE
AO Member

County: East Ayrshire
Quote:
+1

I agree with your point of the original post about how easily it picks up speed, it's so easy for the speed to drift significantly over the limit.

However, on your last point..........I'm afraid I cant believe you. Once out of town it's near impossible not to speed in that car, let alone not be near the limit.
AO Member

Garage
It's the acceleration from 60mph onwards that's most impressive, many cars are quick up to that point but in the 4C the acceleration just doesn't stop.

Totally agree with blaster and CPE that the car is for driving (where traffic conditions and weather allow), 20, 30, 40, 50mph limits are there for a reason and should be obeyed at all times but in a National Speed limit zone, on an open road in Northern Scotland I can't think of anywhere better (other than a track) to use the performance.

The National speed limit was set in 1965/1977 dependant on which date you accept, so was based on 1960s/1970s technology and I personally can see an improvement in stopping and handling capability between the 4C and an Allegro. Any improvement in driving standards however is a different question. Being able to speak to a Police officer who has stopped you gives some sense of reality but camera vans (Talivans to coin a phrase) have no discretion..

Tough lesson Bill, thanks for sharing the pain! Having followed you through the Glens I know that you don't need to go above 60 to have fun :-)

Colin, did you go to Tartan Tarmac in the end?
(Post Link) post #18 of 21 Old 03-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

I said I was not near the limit but on which side of it?
CPE
AO Member

County: East Ayrshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigethecat View Post
Having followed you through the Glens I know that you don't need to go above 60 to have fun :-)

Colin, did you go to Tartan Tarmac in the end?
Yes, but it was truly horrible weather, you didn't miss anything. The breakfast was good though, it was a nice eatery.

Quote:
I said I was not near the limit but on which side of it?
This is so true! As we all know there are lots of cracking driving roads where you'd be no where near the limit, and it could be on either side of it - depends on the road!
AO Silver Member

County: Oxfordshire
Garage
A speed camera in a 60 limit is not there to protect pedestrians. IF the area had a lot of them, then the speed limit would be lower.

Besides, if you it somebody doing 60 you will kill them, doing 70 isn't going to kill them more!
AO Platinum Member

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskins View Post
A speed camera in a 60 limit is not there to protect pedestrians. IF the area had a lot of them, then the speed limit would be lower.

Besides, if you it somebody doing 60 you will kill them, doing 70 isn't going to kill them more!
:giggle:

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > 4C & 4C Spider

Tags
careful , cautionary , talebe

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page