4C First Impressions - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 51 Old 15-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage
4C First Impressions

Hi all, finally got my 4C yesterday It was actually much sooner than expected, but I’m not complaining!

Thought I’d share my first impressions:

Looks… well it looks like a 4C, not much more needs to be said. I fell in love with it when the concept appeared at Geneva in 2011 and I've not been disappointed. Rosso Alfa with red leather works well I think

Performance… Wow, it’s quick! I mean seriously fast. I’m coming from a Cayman S and a Series 1 Exige so not exactly slow cars(!) but this thing is in a different league. Maybe it’s just the turbo’d torquey delivery but it really does feel supercar quick on the road. In Dynamic mode you only have to breathe on the throttle and with a whoosh of turbocharger you're catapulted beyond the speed limit before you know it

The noise… With the optional race pack (and therefore exhaust) it sounds fantastic. The bark on the upshift under load puts a smile on your face every time. Engine/exhaust noise in the cabin is not intrusive although road noise is significant with the 18/19” Pirellis.

Gearbox… The TCT gearbox is definitely growing on me, it really suits the car I think. Auto mode with paddle override seems the best bet for general driving, although it does seem a bit keen to hunt between 3rd/4th when it doesn’t really need to.

Ride… Very firm but not uncomfortable. No hint of any rattles over bumps. Speed humps and poor road surfaces are a pain just due to ride height but I’m used to that Thankfully there’s a rubber lip at the front to protect the tub.

Fit and finish… Generally good, surprisingly so in fact. I even quite like the Parrot ICE system. Passengers have also commented (positively) on the dash materials. The exposed carbon looks great, I’m a bit concerned about how well it will wear on the sills etc.

My only gripes so far are:
1) Apart from a credit-card sized pocket between the seats and something similar where the glove box should be, there is ZERO stowage space in the cabin. I never thought I’d buy a car with *less* practicality than a Lotus Guess I’ll just have to keep my phone and keys in my pocket!
2) Brake pedal seems overly firm but with too little bite at the very top of the travel, meaning low speed progress in traffic can be jerky. Will see how this pans out over time as the car’s only done <100 miles.

It sounds like the UK cars are starting to come through thick and fast now (relatively speaking) so hopefully there will be more owners getting theirs around now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4c_redacted.jpg (61.6 KB, 177 views)

Last edited by deggles; 16-08-14 at 07:24. Reason: fix typo/spelling mistake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Surrey
Bet you couldn't believe you got it early,
Sounds like you are enjoying it already and only done 100 miles, hope you enjoy it. Can't wait to get my one.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Sounds great - congrats
AO Silver Member

County: Galway

Member car:

147 1.6TS

Thumbs Up

🍀 nice toy
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire
Garage
What a beautiful car ! I'll definately wave if I ever see you on the road . Talking of roads, shame the surfaces on most of the roads I get to travel on in West Yorkshire are so poor! Hope the 4c stands up to the punishment!

Congrats on the car and I hope you have much fun driving it
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Mine is also due any minute - supposed to have left the factory last week, but no sign yet. Nice to see someone else has gone for red leather, I was beginning to think mine will be the odd one out!
AO Member

County: Milano
Looks great< I was told red leather with Rosso Alfa wasn't available, out of interest when did you order it?
(Post Link) post #8 of 51 Old 16-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by antell1 View Post
Bet you couldn't believe you got it early
Yeah, I was patiently waiting to find out my build slot, not expecting it till Oct/Nov but got a phone call the other week saying it had been built and was on a transporter from Modena!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkiT View Post
Talking of roads, shame the surfaces on most of the roads I get to travel on in West Yorkshire are so poor! Hope the 4c stands up to the punishment!
Yep the roads round here are generally terrible. I did encounter some that had been ‘resurfaced’ yesterday. Although by resurfacing I mean a liberal sprinkling of loose chippings over the still-uneven surface... Cue much swearing and crawling along at 15mph, wincing as the gravel pinged against the underside of the car Thankfully no paint damage.
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire

Member car:

GT 1.9jtd

congrats on the car pal , ruddy gorgeous machine but why do they put ****ty pirelli's on these cars , they are too soft and wet grip is rubbish for such a quality brand
AO Member

County: Warwickshire
Congrats... what a gorgeous little thing it is, you lucky man

Hope there are some good roads on your manor!
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggles View Post
Hi all, finally got my 4C yesterday It was actually much sooner than expected, but I’m not complaining!

Thought I’d share my first impressions:

Looks… well it looks like a 4C, not much more needs to be said. I fell in love with it when the concept appeared at Geneva in 2011 and I've not been disappointed. Rosso Alfa with red leather works well I think

Performance… Wow, it’s quick! I mean seriously fast. I’m coming from a Cayman S and a Series 1 Exige so not exactly slow cars(!) but this thing is in a different league. Maybe it’s just the turbo’d torquey delivery but it really does feel supercar quick on the road. In Dynamic mode you only have to breathe on the throttle and with a whoosh of turbocharger you're catapulted beyond the speed limit before you know it

The noise… With the optional race pack (and therefore exhaust) it sounds fantastic. The bark on the upshift under load puts a smile on your face every time. Engine/exhaust noise in the cabin is not intrusive although road noise is significant with the 18/19” Pirellis.

Gearbox… The TCT gearbox is definitely growing on me, it really suits the car I think. Auto mode with paddle override seems the best bet for general driving, although it does seem a bit keen to hunt between 3rd/4th when it doesn’t really need to.

Ride… Very firm but not uncomfortable. No hint of any rattles over bumps. Speed humps and poor road surfaces are a pain just due to ride height but I’m used to that Thankfully there’s a rubber lip at the front to protect the tub.

Fit and finish… Generally good, surprisingly so in fact. I even quite like the Parrot ICE system. Passengers have also commented (positively) on the dash materials. The exposed carbon looks great, I’m a bit concerned about how well it will wear on the sills etc.

My only gripes so far are:
1) Apart from a credit-card sized pocket between the seats and something similar where the glove box should be, there is ZERO stowage space in the cabin. I never thought I’d buy a car with *less* practicality than a Lotus Guess I’ll just have to keep my phone and keys in my pocket!
2) Brake pedal seems overly firm but with too little bite at the very top of the travel, meaning low speed progress in traffic can be jerky. Will see how this pans out over time as the car’s only done <100 miles.

It sounds like the UK cars are starting to come through thick and fast now (relatively speaking) so hopefully there will be more owners getting theirs around now
Nice review. Thanks! Enjoy her

You guys are driving standard edition 4C's in the UK already while we are still waiting for our launch editions in South Africa. The ship left Italy Thursday this week. So in 8weeks I will be able to write similar reviews...
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

4C

well done; so how long are deliveries taking?
(Post Link) post #13 of 51 Old 16-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clorus View Post
well done; so how long are deliveries taking?
I placed my (confirmed) order towards the end of October 2013 and was told to expect a 12-month wait. As it turned out I got a phone call Monday 4th August to say the build status had changed and it was on its way to the UK, so around a nine month wait.

Once built it arrived quickly (less than a week, as they come by transporter to the UK - 'normal' Alfas come by sea).

Not sure how the build scheduling works, although my dealer took delivery of four at once so there appears to be at least some logic to it
AO Member

County: Milano
This gets a bit confusing, presuming your car was built sometime in July, when I looked over the factory wall towards the end of July all the cars I saw had the clear head lamps, did you order carbon lamps?
(Post Link) post #15 of 51 Old 17-08-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambrate FS View Post
This gets a bit confusing, presuming your car was built sometime in July, when I looked over the factory wall towards the end of July all the cars I saw had the clear head lamps, did you order carbon lamps?
No, mine are standard with the black plastic surround. As far as I know, only the US-spec cars have the clear headlight design, they're not an option for European markets.
AO Platinum Member

Very nice, whereabouts in yorkshire are you? Be nice to see you and it at Northern Italian Car Night sometime

Checkout the Yorkshire lounge for more info.

Sean
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
Glad that you're enjoying it deggles, I'm nearly up to 1,000 miles on mine now, (had it three weeks). I have had the front end 3m Ventureshielded against stone chips. This also included the removal of the factory fitted sill protection and replacing it with film which covers the whole sill and wraps over the step of the door opening into the 'tub'. I also had two 'V' shaped pieces put on the intakes behind each door. As you say, storage is zero, I put my phone in the little elasticated holder between the seats and my keys in the cup holder.
Have fun.
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

156GTA & 33racer

Cup holder... That's something you don't get in a 156GTA!
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
You wouldn't want to put a drink in there. I use it for my keys and every time I brake 'enthusiastically' the keys end up it the footwell.
CPE
AO Member

County: East Ayrshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambrate FS View Post
When we visited the factory at the end of June the guide told us they have a factory building (which he pointed out) where finished cars are put for final inspection. Maybe the euro spec SE cars were in there. They would not let us look in there.
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
Nice car. Looks stunning, and based on your other cars, Cayman and Exige its actually rather suprising how fast you are finding it. Brilliant news.
GTA_Nigel

Glad you like it, a stunning car. Nice to hear some real world experience of an owner comparing a 4C to a Cayman and an Elise.

AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Larnaca
Brilliant

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo
Thanks for the review. Congrats on the great car
AO Member

County: Aberdeenshire
Garage
Deggles,

Congrats and jealousy

My production model has also arrived in the UK but as yet I haven't been able to get to the dealers to see her in the flesh (hopefully tomorrow as it's a 6 hour round trip from here - the joys of being in Scotland).

Looking forward to "hunting in pairs" with Blaster and his LE come September 1st when mine goes on the road! so look out for an Alfa Red and a Competizione Red pair in the Angus/Aberdeenshire area !!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > 4C & 4C Spider

Tags
impressions

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page