4C Coupe now available with Spider headlights - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 54 Old 18-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Etela-Suomen Laani
4C Coupe now available with Spider headlights

Alfa Romeo 4C coupé offered with new headlight design | Autocar

4C Coupe now available with Spider headlights!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

4C

new ones are about 10kgs heavier than carbon ones. not sure if sum of both or each. the only feature i don't like about the carbon ones are the 5 small lights. will probably take the new ones in the end
AO Member

County: Flintshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clorus View Post
new ones are about 10kgs heavier than carbon ones. not sure if sum of both or each. the only feature i don't like about the carbon ones are the 5 small lights. will probably take the new ones in the end
Are you sure about the weight, that would suggest that each light is well over 5kg each?
Most lights are made completely of plastic and 'feel' about a kilo when in your hand.
How does the kerb weight differ between the coupe and spider?
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 857
County: Zuid Holland
Garage
Looking again at the original lights, they must be a nightmare to clean, with all those nooks and crannies..... Lenses also quite sensitive to chipping etc from stones I would think...
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBERINO View Post
Are you sure about the weight, that would suggest that each light is well over 5kg each?
Most lights are made completely of plastic and 'feel' about a kilo when in your hand.
How does the kerb weight differ between the coupe and spider?
A Giulietta headlight weighs 5.68kg and a Mito headlight comes in at 4.5kg . Therefore it's not unrealistic to expect the a Spider lamp to be 5 kilos plus.
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
Cool

The lights were the only thing I didn't like about the 4C. Have got used to them now admittedly after first thinking "yuk". Now all I need is to win the lottery or find a rich woman to marry me and buy me one as a pressie!
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

4C

Apologies I was referring to discussions Italian forums. it seems that the claim was 5+5. many aren't convinced about it
(Post Link) post #8 of 54 Old 20-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Etela-Suomen Laani
It could be that the increased weight is disinformation spread by Alfa in order to make the original decision to go for the ugly headlights look little less idiotic. I.e. it goes like this: "look it is not that we were on a shoe-string budget and didn't have any artistic talent, it was the weight saving that made us go for the ugly headlights." When in reality it was exactly the cost saving and Marchionne's lack of understanding of what constitutes a beautiful design.....
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
A Giulietta headlight weighs 5.68kg and a Mito headlight comes in at 4.5kg . Therefore it's not unrealistic to expect the a Spider lamp to be 5 kilos plus.
Do they? I must be stronger than I thought, felt very light
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup 57 View Post
Cool

The lights were the only thing I didn't like about the 4C. Have got used to them now admittedly after first thinking "yuk". Now all I need is to win the lottery or find a rich woman to marry me and buy me one as a pressie!
I'm thinking to hell with it, buy one!!!
AO Member

County: South Africa
I like the bug eyed originals on the 4C coupe & wouldn't swop out.
Spider I would consider the new look... since it is the only option.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 916it View Post
I like the bug eyed originals on the 4C coupe & wouldn't swop out.
Spider I would consider the new look... since it is the only option.
I agree. The originals were the originals and a reactionary" refinement " is just that .
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Had a call from my dealer today wanting my final spec as UK RHDs are in production (mine is not an LE). They know nothing of spider headlight option! So guess it's the very expensive carbon fibre LED for me.
AO Member

Quote:
I agree. The originals were the originals and a reactionary" refinement " is just that .
This is contradictory by the way that is sidesteps the fact that the original lights on the concept were ignored and replaced with a cheaper, perhaps lighter option.
It is therefore inaccurate to say it is reactionary; indeed fairer to say it is closer to the original concept, which as we know did not cause such derision as the production version.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ullers View Post
Had a call from my dealer today wanting my final spec as UK RHDs are in production (mine is not an LE). They know nothing of spider headlight option! So guess it's the very expensive carbon fibre LED for me.
It would not be the first time that an Alfa Romeo dealer was not aware of the options on the cars that they sell; as the marketing people whom they rely upon are little short of useless when it comes to communication. I would suggest that you take the matter higher for clarification, just to satisfy yourself and avoid any frustration/disappointment/regret(if that could happen with a 4C?)
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
This is contradictory by the way that is sidesteps the fact that the original lights on the concept were ignored and replaced with a cheaper, perhaps lighter option.
It is therefore inaccurate to say it is reactionary; indeed fairer to say it is closer to the original concept, which as we know did not cause such derision as the production version.
Concept cars are done in parallel with the productionisation of any car at a place like , in this case Vercar SRL in Turin , and not at the early stages of a program.
AO Member

Quote:
Concept cars are done in parallel with the productionisation of any car at a place like , in this case Vercar SRL in Turin , and not at the early stages of a program.
blah blah blah
AO Platinum Member

Indeed
AO Member

Quote:
This is the quote I have read in every motoring piece since the 4C production version was finalised;-

''Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne said that the switch of light design from concept to production was worth it to save €4m''.

Are you telling me that 'they' and possibly Marchionne is incorrect and your statement is right?
AO Platinum Member

Show cars are prepared before many long lead items such as lamps are ready even ungrained

. Therefore its an opportunity to do speculative parts . At this time the decision may not have been made though whether to invest the extra millions .
AO Member

Quote:
May I point out that productionisation is the process of taking a concept and turning it into production reality once the go ahead has been given and therefore does not run parallel.

There was a three to four year window in the case of the 4C for productionisation to take place.
AO Member

Quote:
Show cars are prepared before many long lead items such as lamps are ready even ungrained

. Therefore its an opportunity to do speculative parts . At this time the decision may not have been made though whether to invest the extra millions .

Your point is not relevant to the discussion and in some way contradictory to how I understood your earlier comment.

The lights were changed for financial reasons by Marchionne.

This would intimate to me that without his involvement they would have been more true to the original concept.

'Blame me' he said
AO Member

Quote:

How much does it cost to produce a machine made plastic, faired in headlight and a hand cut carbon fibre one? Both require designing and both require machinery.
I may well be wrong but I smell red herring.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
How much does it cost to produce a machine made plastic, faired in headlight and a hand cut carbon fibre one? Both require designing and both require machinery.
I may well be wrong but I smell red herring.
As a one-off or for a production car ?
You're not making this easy!

Last edited by cue2; 23-03-14 at 13:58.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
May I point out that productionisation is the process of taking a concept and turning it into production reality once the go ahead has been given and therefore does not run parallel.

There was a three to four year window in the case of the 4C for productionisation to take place.
According to the official book " Techno-Design " the drawing phase which led to the 3/8 scale models began in sept 2010. It was frozen in early November before going to full size at Vercar. It was presented the following march at Geneva.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > 4C & 4C Spider

Tags
coupe , headlights , spider

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page