Made up facts against the 4C - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 100 Old 08-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Made up facts against the 4C

Richard Hammond said the 4C is wider than a Range Rover on the Top Gear TV show. False.
That it does not have room for luggage. Well it does have a small boot, which was not mentioned.
In his written review he say the Porsche numbers are better. Well the Alfa is faster to 100km/h, lighter, has better fuel economy. Those are just the raw numbers.
The Chris Evans review in the Daily Mail repeats what Hammond wrote that it is wider than a Range Rover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Where are you A-Team ?
You'd rather not say . Why ?

County: Hlavní město Praha

Member car:

Alfa Brera

I drove the car today in and out from the dealer's garage and I have to confirm: It is wide as hell!
Well jokes aside, I think its the feeling you've got due to poor control of the car shape from interior that requires more time of driving or parking experience. Once you get it in your eyes and fold off the mirrors, it is not wider than any SUV or MPV from mainstream manufacturers (1800-1900 as a standard).
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
It can go round the nurburgring in 30 seconds
(Post Link) post #5 of 100 Old 08-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
Where are you A-Team ?
You'd rather not say . Why ?
I'm from Denmark, but I don't live there anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
It can go round the nurburgring in 30 seconds
Are you just on this forum to troll?
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-team View Post
I'm from Denmark, but I don't live there anymore.

Are you just on this forum to troll?
What you on about, you started a thread about made up facts about the 4C
AO Platinum Member

Well , are you?
(Post Link) post #8 of 100 Old 08-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyDog View Post
What you on about, you started a thread about made up facts about the 4C
Which journalist has claimed a 30 second lap time? Or is it a made-up made-up false fact?
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Which journalist has claimed a 30 second lap time? Or is it a made-up made-up false fact?
I just made it up

Although the width isn't far off a Range Rover, I just looked it up and it's slightly wider than my XF though, would make it very tricky on rural roads round my way with the visibility challenges mertin eluded to.
(Post Link) post #10 of 100 Old 08-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Jaguar XF: Width
1,877 mm (73.9 in)[2] (exc. mirrors; 2008-2011)
Alfa 4C: 1,864 mm

Without mirrors the 4C is narrower. But the mirrors make the 4C wider than the XF with mirrors.

County: Hlavní město Praha

Member car:

Alfa Brera

Exactly! But you really can't see the corners of your car from the carbon fiber bath tube. That's what journalist who spent few hours in the car refered to I guess.
AO Platinum Member

A range rover will seem narrower because you sit higher. I drive a Giulietta and sometimes drive my wife's Multipla and end up parking further away from things in the Alfa.
(Post Link) post #13 of 100 Old 08-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

People don't seem to complain much about the width in reviews of cars like the Ferrari F430 or 458. Cars which are wider than the 4C.
RSK

Quote:
People don't seem to complain much about the width in reviews of cars like the Ferrari F430 or 458. Cars which are wider than the 4C.

Except that they do - nearly all super car owners and reviewers reference the width of the cars in question.

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]

(Post Link) post #15 of 100 Old 08-03-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK View Post
Except that they do - nearly all super car owners and reviewers reference the width of the cars in question.

These reviews don't complain about it or mention it:
Ferrari F430 Review | Autocar
Ferrari F430 Spider Review | Ferrari Car Reviews | Reviews & Road Tests | evo

I don't remember having read a review of those cars complaining about it, but maybe there are some.

The issue is not so much that the 4C is wide. Its that several reviews make the false claim that it's wider than a Ranger Rover. When it is not.
Coniglio

The points raised here are barely scratching the surface.

How about UK press not comparing with a UK designed, developed and built Elise SC which is nearly identical to it, but constantly comparing and putting in the spotlight a Porsche Cayman?

How about the tricked lap where that rag said a 4C could not take a standard Cayman, when there are at least three other laptimes where it leaves even a Cayman S behind?

How about EVO first cheering it up to high heaven, giving it four out of five stars and then saying it is "unfit for purpose" on the road when compared to other supercars (not on UK but on FRENCH roads, mind) while Anthony read takes it up Goodwood Hill (remind me, what country is Goodwood at?) and does so faster than a Vantage V12 while applauding steering confidence and roadholding?

How about Chris "balanced" Harris going on about how it is "utter madness" for the 4C "only" having a sophisticated suspension on the front and not the back, and that this is the "problem" it has with the steering, while the more expensive Cayman S which is "the best" has such suspension NEITHER front NOR back - AND the -until now oh so hated but suddenly much better- electrically powered steering?

Before you start typing "tin foil hat" : Porsche is owned by Volkswagen : if I were to tell you they rigged an award in favor of the Golf, would you say they do not need to do so and I am loose in the head? Read on and perhaps reconsider: Yahoo!

RSK

Quote:
These reviews don't complain about it or mention it:
Ferrari F430 Review | Autocar
Ferrari F430 Spider Review | Ferrari Car Reviews | Reviews & Road Tests | evo

I don't remember having read a review of those cars complaining about it, but maybe there are some.

The issue is not so much that the 4C is wide. Its that several reviews make the false claim that it's wider than a Ranger Rover. When it is not.
modern day supercars are wide, it's a fact and it's one of the things owners have to adapt to. It's an inconvenience but one which the vast majority of people come to accept because of all the other positives.

The same applies to.the 4c. It is a wide car in relative terms but surely that is not a showstopper?

As for the RR comparisons then so what? How is this any way going to harm the car? The way people go on about this you would think journalists have never been lazy or plagiarised other's views.

I repeat tell me how this claim is damaging and just maybe I'll have a better understanding of the mentality of some of our more fanatical correspondents on the subject of the 4c.

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
"Even Alfa can make carbon fibre rust" - Top Gear

In truth, it'll delaminate like the roofs & rear spoilers on the SZ
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire
Quote:
Richard Hammond said the 4C is wider than a Range Rover on the Top Gear TV show. False.

The Chris Evans review in the Daily Mail repeats what Hammond wrote that it is wider than a Range Rover.
to make it absolutely clear:
Range Rover Width 2,073mm mirrors folded. Width 2,220mm mirrors out
4C Width excluding mirrors (but not I think including folded mirrors) 1,868mm. width including mirrors 2,090mm
so including mirrors 4C is 120mm narrower than Range Rover

... and I would not want to drive either without mirrors, so that dimension is pretty irrelevant
RSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coniglio View Post
The points raised here are barely scratching the surface.

How about UK press not comparing with a UK designed, developed and built Elise SC which is nearly identical to it, but constantly comparing and putting in the spotlight a Porsche Cayman?

How about the tricked lap where that rag said a 4C could not take a standard Cayman, when there are at least three other laptimes where it leaves even a Cayman S behind?

How about EVO first cheering it up to high heaven, giving it four out of five stars and then saying it is "unfit for purpose" on the road when compared to other supercars (not on UK but on FRENCH roads, mind) while Anthony read takes it up Goodwood Hill (remind me, what country is Goodwood at?) and does so faster than a Vantage V12 while applauding steering confidence and roadholding?

How about Chris "balanced" Harris going on about how it is "utter madness" for the 4C "only" having a sophisticated suspension on the front and not the back, and that this is the "problem" it has with the steering, while the more expensive Cayman S which is "the best" has such suspension NEITHER front NOR back - AND the -until now oh so hated but suddenly much better- electrically powered steering?

Before you start typing "tin foil hat" : Porsche is owned by Volkswagen : if I were to tell you they rigged an award in favor of the Golf, would you say they do not need to do so and I am loose in the head? Read on and perhaps reconsider: Yahoo!
Where shall I start?

I have read several comparisons with the Elise including I am sure a group test in Evo.

If laptimes are important to you buy a Caterham, Atom or Radical.

Goodwood Hill is effectively a time trials track not a public road

Does being quicker up.said hill than an Amv12v somehow make it "better" or more desirable?

Harris very clearly has a go at the EPAS system on the Porsche.

Do you honestly think that the VAG empire (which I agree is not immune to.the odd dirty trick or two) is so concerned about the threat to the Porsche brand from a car which is selling 1000 units per annum that it is resorting to rigging tests?

Last edited by RSK; 09-03-14 at 08:47.

AO Member

County: Flintshire
The made up fact, ''its a track car''
If that were true, width wouldn't be an issue as it would never be on the road.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
"Even Alfa can make carbon fibre rust" - Top Gear

In truth, it'll delaminate like the roofs & rear spoilers on the SZ
And presumably the carbon rear bits on the back of the Laferrari at Geneva last year which was distinctly badly bagged.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
And presumably the carbon rear bits on the back of the Laferrari at Geneva last year which was distinctly badly bagged.
I think the smiley faces indicate their comments were tongue in cheek
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBERINO View Post
I think the smiley faces indicate their comments were tongue in cheek
Did you see the Ferrari at Geneva last year?
There was air in the carbon bits. Not half as good as the Pagani .
AO Member

Pagani is a different league

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > 4C & 4C Spider

Tags
facts , made

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page