Sports pack, yes or no? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 17-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire
Sports pack, yes or no?

I am fortunate enough to have secured a production slot for late 2014 (UK) and need to finalise spec soon. If I am completely honest, I am probably not going often to be in the position to enjoy the extra % gain from the sports suspension, but will enjoy a better ride more of the time. Likewise the exhaust. Do people think that will affect my ability to sell the car further down the line (much further down the line I hope)?

Secondly, I am not even that bothered about the carbon lights: I am thinking of having black anyway, so figure the standard lights may look OK with that. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Finally, if people think that standard lights is a absolute no-no, I may as well go for the full luxury pack, and spec leather seats too. Any thoughts on whether leather seats are a must anyway? (Also, if I go for carbon, the argument for black car recedes, so may go for the red - it is an Alfa, after all)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
I would probably leave the sports suspension and sports exhaust, but go for the bigger wheels and the carbon lights. Leather is a must IMO.
Coniglio

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatspur View Post
I am fortunate enough to have secured a production slot for late 2014 (UK) and need to finalise spec soon. If I am completely honest, I am probably not going often to be in the position to enjoy the extra % gain from the sports suspension, but will enjoy a better ride more of the time. Likewise the exhaust. Do people think that will affect my ability to sell the car further down the line (much further down the line I hope)?
Had a long discussion with the dealer on this. I will be using mine to replace the GTV6, which means strictly hooning on the sunday morning. So sports suspension for me, but the dealer have ordered one for themselves without it so that they driver around town a bit more. Neither of us think this will have a big impact on resale values. It's only a matter of time before Autodelta and/or Prodrive and the lot offers something similar. Also I am convinced the smaller wheels are lighter and better. Note the Nurburgring car had the smaller ones (although not in all press shots ). But I just love the teledials so specced them.
On the exhaust : not so sure. From what I hear the car has no Certificate of Conformity but some kind exemption paperwork. I know that on the CoC what is not specified is not allowed (where I live) so I took the open exhaust so I have all options open to me later.

Quote:
Secondly, I am not even that bothered about the carbon lights: I am thinking of having black anyway, so figure the standard lights may look OK with that. Any thoughts would be welcome.
I ordered black with standard lights. The carbon ones are silly expensive and perhaps some aftermarket will come out that is nicer. Actually the lights have grown on me in particular on a black car. After all they are not totally unlike a Zonda. I saw some standard ones and they are actually more like medium grey. Truly hideous. If they are like that on mine I will have them either wrapped or I'll spray them myself (I know my limits but this I can do).

Quote:
Finally, if people think that standard lights is a absolute no-no, I may as well go for the full luxury pack, and spec leather seats too. Any thoughts on whether leather seats are a must anyway? (Also, if I go for carbon, the argument for black car recedes, so may go for the red - it is an Alfa, after all)
No leather seats for me. Leather makes me sweat like an otter. Perhaps I will have them retrimmed in oxblood or tan Alcantara later on some time.

AO Member

County: Milano

Member car:

BMW Z4

I might sound a bit extreme on this, but IMHO buying such a sporty car without racing exhaust and suspensions would be like.. going out with Kate Moss wearing slippers instead of high heels (obviously, one could then argue that would be still going out with Kate Moss)

Last edited by emacos; 18-02-14 at 08:05.
(Post Link) post #5 of 13 Old 18-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

thanks for the thoughts, keep 'em coming. I could put up with Kate Moss in slippers!
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 857
County: Zuid Holland
Garage
it might even be better with standard suspension.... harder/stiffer is not always better, specially if you don't always drive on a circuit ..
AO Member

County: Shropshire

Member car:

GTV V6

I would never ever spec a car for the second owner - buy the car in the specification that suits and appeals to you

Had a friend who specced for its potential resale value - what he made at resale time was nowhere near enough to cover the cost of the expensive options he opted for to increase its value - he ended up with a car with loads of features that he didn't particularly want / need and it cost him money as well - foolish
(Post Link) post #8 of 13 Old 18-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy665 View Post
I would never ever spec a car for the second owner - buy the car in the specification that suits and appeals to you

Had a friend who specced for its potential resale value - what he made at resale time was nowhere near enough to cover the cost of the expensive options he opted for to increase its value - he ended up with a car with loads of features that he didn't particularly want / need and it cost him money as well - foolish
I get your point - options especially lose value. However I am just seeking opinions on what people consider must-haves (for example I understand it is very difficult to sell large Mercs/BMWs/Jags) without leather
Coniglio

I'm afraid it's a fools' game trying to guess what future buyers will like. After being fed up with fast depreciating Italian cars I once bought a grey golf diesel, full option. Worst hit I ever took in resale value. Suits me right really...

To give an example : I suspect all those people now buying Dino 246's with "flairs and chairs" at a huge premium will find out later on that the next generation of enthusiasts will find those cars vulgar because they were an investment tool and they want to be seen as real enthusiasts, therefore avoiding those particular cars, dropping their value like a stone.

AO Silver Member

County: Oxfordshire
Garage
Has anyone been able to compare the sports suspension and the standard? Also do we know what all the road test cars have had?
(Post Link) post #11 of 13 Old 22-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskins View Post
Has anyone been able to compare the sports suspension and the standard? Also do we know what all the road test cars have had?
Not that I am aware of. I think all the tests where it has been mentioned have had sports pack (and a few have said that it might be been better without)
AO Member

County: Milano
I've been told I cant have rosso alfa with red leather, bs me thinks. Ill go Tele dials, leather and parking sensors leave it at that.
Coniglio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskins View Post
Quote:
Not that I am aware of. I think all the tests where it has been mentioned have had sports pack (and a few have said that it might be been better without)
I asked via Twitter to some journo's and their indication was all press cars have the sports pack.
Related to that and the topic : in TG magazine they seem to go into a whine of how dangerously undriveable the 4C is because of its sport pack, and then while comparing to (here we go again) a Cayman S and (refreshingly) a Lotus Exige S ...pick the Alfa as winner...provided it has standard wheels and suspension...which they haven't driven...? Another great advice from our press friends. (This was the Dutch version of TG mag, not entirely sure if the English version concludes the same, although it seems translated).
So in the end, we are none the wiser and a fiver poorer for it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > 4C & 4C Spider

Tags
pack , sports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page