Alfa rumors "after 4C" - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Coniglio

Alfa rumors "after 4C"

Interesting article, but in Italian :

Grande successo dell'Alfa Romeo 4C: sale la produzione, aumentano i turni - MOTORI

As far as my italian goes :

- For the first time living history, Alfa made a car that is so popular production numbers need to be increase and extra people need to be hired. The Maserati plant will go double shifts soon (Just like Alfisti predicted for decades : make a real and rwd Alfa and we will by it - well waddayaknow... so far for "Alfisti are killing the brand" theories)

- Alfa working on an "after 4C" project, and is thinking about more carbon fibre car technology in the future. A special team at Adler is working on it.
"Chiaro il segnale per gli alfisti: il “dopo 4C” è già iniziato."

Does anybody else get a tingly feeling now Re-boot baby!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Give me a proper practical 2+2 Coupe!!

V6 is a must.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
Give me a proper practical 2+2 Coupe!!

V6 is a must.
"Give" may be pushing it but there were rumours of a Maserati tie up for a coupe .
AO Member

County: Harjumaa (Tallinn)

Member car:

4C LE 299

Does anyone know anything about the Maserati V6 engine in the Ghibli? That would as far as I know be the only available engine to use in a "6C". Seems like the logical step to go, 911 price tag and performance level. Seems fine to me...

Much more engineering work though as it is a longitudinal installation today.
Coniglio

Ye olde Chrysler Pentastar block, but with Ferrari head (which is where the technology is mostly at).

Depending on how you want to see it, it seems a "cost-optimized" or "cheapskate" solution (that either is replaced by a full Ferrari V6 when the money flows back in or stays around for the next 50 years if they can get away with it).

AO Member

Member car:

4C LE 299

Well, they did make a "new" block for the 4C...
AO Member

County: Bayern
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coniglio View Post
Interesting article, but in Italian :

Grande successo dell'Alfa Romeo 4C: sale la produzione, aumentano i turni - MOTORI

As far as my italian goes :

- For the first time living history, Alfa made a car that is so popular production numbers need to be increase and extra people need to be hired. The Maserati plant will go double shifts soon (Just like Alfisti predicted for decades : make a real and rwd Alfa and we will by it - well waddayaknow... so far for "Alfisti are killing the brand" theories)

- Alfa working on an "after 4C" project, and is thinking about more carbon fibre car technology in the future. A special team at Adler is working on it.
"Chiaro il segnale per gli alfisti: il “dopo 4C” è già iniziato."

Does anybody else get a tingly feeling now Re-boot baby!
+ They will be able to produce 5000 unites instead of 2500 per year
AO Platinum Member

County: Mpumalanga
All that AR does is talk, make Alfisti dream and this dream turns into a nightmare, you find people uncontrollably designing possible AR models in photoshop, scurrying the forums and Italian news agencies for some, any news on possible BUILD DATES and set in stone decisions.

But no, we get news like this, full of possibilities and nothing to show...
Coniglio

Although I agree that -let's remember- Fiat is only talk so far, the reason I decided to share this was that it comes at least in part from the supplier. Were this another acid trip from Marchionne, I would not have bothered you with it.

And you have to admit, it sounds a lot better than previous Marchionne-isms like "the 159 was an accident", "we will save the company by closing plants and stopping all design investments" and to crown it off "we have bought a company over 10 billion dollar in debt and combined with our own huge debt this means we are now saved".

Coniglio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallinn View Post
Well, they did make a "new" block for the 4C...
True that, I may suffer from some scepticism after I saw what they have done to Lancia over the past 5 years.

AO Platinum Member

County: Mpumalanga
Ah, that makes sense
AO Member

County: -
That's a no brainer. Wonder why sales are flagging ? FWD Front Engined cars for the last 30 years ?? That is not a Sports Car. No wonder no one wants to buy Alfa Romeos in the last 30 years.

Someone comes out with a brilliant idea. Why don't we make a REAR WHEEL Drive Sports car ? Wonder if people will buy it ??

BETTER STILL Why not MID ENGINED RWD ?? Do you think people will buy it ???

Its a no brainer !!!!!!

As for the 6C. That is the logical evolutionary step after the 4C. It will have the Ferrari / Maserati V6 Engine and compete with the base model 911s and even GTs and stay away from V8 Ferraris so as not to interfere with their territory.

It will create a niche of its own.
twauster

Just to be a party pooper, Fiat already has a range of V6 petrol engines. They come in 3.0 MultiAir, 3.2 and 3.6 litre versions and is already used in "Fiats" and "Lancias". They're around 280-300 hp now, and with a bit of bespoke Alfa engineering, they could probably pump out more.

Would be nice to see a 6C with the Ghibli III twinturbo though

AO Member

County: Northamptonshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV3.0Litre View Post
That's a no brainer. Wonder why sales are flagging ? FWD Front Engined cars for the last 30 years ?? That is not a Sports Car. No wonder no one wants to buy Alfa Romeos in the last 30 years.

Someone comes out with a brilliant idea. Why don't we make a REAR WHEEL Drive Sports car ? Wonder if people will buy it ??

BETTER STILL Why not MID ENGINED RWD ?? Do you think people will buy it ???

Its a no brainer !!!!!!

As for the 6C. That is the logical evolutionary step after the 4C. It will have the Ferrari / Maserati V6 Engine and compete with the base model 911s and even GTs and stay away from V8 Ferraris so as not to interfere with their territory.

It will create a niche of its own.
Maserati territory I suspect
AO Silver Member

County: Essex

Member car:

Mito 1.4 16v.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatspur View Post
Maserati territory I suspect
Maserati seem far more like the "modern" Porsche (or Audi RS/Mercedes AMG/BMW M).

Fast, capable saloons (QP, Ghibili) and tourers (GT).

Leave the mid-engined coupés to Alfa...
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubizzle View Post
Maserati seem far more like the "modern" Porsche (or Audi RS/Mercedes AMG/BMW M).

Fast, capable saloons (QP, Ghibili) and tourers (GT).

Leave the mid-engined coupés to Alfa...
I suspect that Fiat group would find it easier to sell 6 cyl mid engined 2 seater for £70k with Maserati name. Doesn't cut across Ferrari, and still leaves a perfectly good "halo" car for Alfa in the 4C
twauster

I agree with fatspur.

Don't forget that Alfa Romeo have always (well, at least since 1951) relied on sporty saloons with some coupes and ragtops on the side. They were never much of a sports car or executive car maker, historically speaking.

1900, Giulietta, Giulia, AlfaSud, Alfetta, Sei, Giulietta again, 33, 75, 164, 145/146, 155, 156, 147, 166, 159, MiTo and Giulietta. All family cars of various sizes, in saloon, hatchback or estate shape. Some with coupe models, some without. Alfa already has a segment in the Fiat family, and even if they tweak the traditional model range, I don't think they will put an Alfa badge on any real Porsche competitor.

The 4C is a thing of its own. You only need to bring up that British car maker and that other German car maker when you talk about the 4C if you have a hard-on for marketing and like to wear suits in your spare time. For Alfisti there is no comparison.

AO Platinum Member

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

but then Marchionne or whatever his name is has said they he wants to move Alfa to be a more premium brand just below Maserrati, that would mean having somthing more executive and a porsche rival. It would be a move away from the family hatch market that its in at the moment
twauster

Historically, Alfa was a premium brand just below Maserati. That was before most of us were born, however. That's why Sergio Marchionne says what he says; he's rebooting Alfa Romeo, not changing it. The change has already happened, and that's where we are now.

I wanted to ask you what "a Porsche rival" constitutes, but I assume you're going to throw technical specifications at me. Therefore I won't bother.

Alfa Romeo used to be just as unique as Porsche is now, but neither became unique by mimicking the other one's product or touting themselves as a "rival". At best it's very poor branding, and at worst you end up with an (yet another) inferior product.

Why should we, Alfisti, even care about what Porsche does? If you want a Porsche, buy a Porsche. If you want an Alfa, buy an Alfa ... unless it's bragging rights down at the pub you're after.

AO Platinum Member

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by twauster View Post
Historically, Alfa was a premium brand just below Maserati. That was before most of us were born, however. That's why Sergio Marchionne says what he says; he's rebooting Alfa Romeo, not changing it. The change has already happened, and that's where we are now.

I wanted to ask you what "a Porsche rival" constitutes, but I assume you're going to throw technical specifications at me. Therefore I won't bother.

Alfa Romeo used to be just as unique as Porsche is now, but neither became unique by mimicking the other one's product or touting themselves as a "rival". At best it's very poor branding, and at worst you end up with an (yet another) inferior product.

Why should we, Alfisti, even care about what Porsche does? If you want a Porsche, buy a Porsche. If you want an Alfa, buy an Alfa ... unless it's bragging rights down at the pub you're after.
No technical specs here, I meant just in terms of car type - as in a 2 seater sports car at about that price point - it would naturally be compared to the other cars in it class
AO Member

Member car:

4C LE 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by twauster View Post
I have a 911 and a Lamborghini Gallardo. What car is it that people ask me questions about? The Alfa I have not even received yet! That's bragging rights!
twauster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallinn View Post
I have a 911 and a Lamborghini Gallardo. What car is it that people ask me questions about? The Alfa I have not even received yet! That's bragging rights!
12 points to the Estonian gentleman This is what I'm talking about, recognising an Alfa Romeo for what it is; special in all the places that matter.

If someone's biggest gripes with the 4C is that it's too unlike a Porsche (assuming they stopped whingeing and got over the headlights at all), they haven't paid attention. Not enough, anyway.

Alfa is its own benchmark.

AO Member

County: -
Not sure if people remember or are aware but Alfa Romeo did not used to be compared to Porsche or "below" Maserati.

Alfa Romeo used to be a Supercar Brand in the 30s.

It was the equivalent of Bugatti or Lambourgini during that time.

Afterwards Enzo Ferrari set his sights on matching and beating Alfa Romeo.

The supercars of that era are the 2900 8C worth $20-30+ Million today.

So Alfa Romeo has been at the top before. Lets hope they can get back up there.
AO Member

County: New South Wales

Member car:

2012 159Ti 2.4

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein
Coniglio

From a company strategy point of view, this seems to change each shareholder meeting. The one car brand that is holy and out of reach for the whims of Sergio "I've got another idea" Marchionne is Ferrari. We can be dead certain that as long as Fiat owns Alfa, Alfa will never enter F1, probably never enter Le Mans and will never make a sports car costing over 150k. That is Ferrari stomping ground, plain and simple. Now with Maserati the 80k to 150k range has also been taken. At the lower end Fiat takes the sub-20k range of cars. Lancia has been killed off and the corpse has been burned.

So Alfa has the 20k to 80k range to play with. Apparently they think of lightness since the carbon supplier is involved in new projects. But the clue I think lies in the indication that the new Mazda-Alfa Spider will weigh only 1000kg (so 1200kg in the real world, but still).
Personally, I would be much happier with a world-beating small sedan with a four-pot than with a Maserati Ghibli clone.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > 4C & 4C Spider

Tags
after 4c , alfa , rumors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page