4C vs Cayman vs Toyota GT86 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 36 Old 18-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
4C vs Cayman vs Toyota GT86

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI-WkHBUFN4

Firstly don't know what a Toyota is doing in this comparison - almost has nothing to do with the Cayman and Alfa.

Also why is the Alfa tested without traction control ? and outright speed of the Alfa over Porsche was never mentioned that's a major advantage over the Porsche.

Anyway each to their own. Still prefer the Alfa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Coniglio

The guy in 4C drives like a ***. Almost rear-ends the others.

AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
Sorry guys, I'd take the Cayman
AO Member

County: Harjumaa (Tallinn)

Member car:

4C LE 299

I'm sure hundreds of prospective 4C-buyers will reconsider their orders and wish they had bought a Toyota instead. I piece of junk with crappy tires, of course THAT'S the future!
(Post Link) post #5 of 36 Old 19-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallinn View Post
I'm sure hundreds of prospective 4C-buyers will reconsider their orders and wish they had bought a Toyota instead. I piece of junk with crappy tires, of course THAT'S the future!
Toyota !! -That's the one id buy !!
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Quote:
Hmm gonna stick up for the GT86 a bit here as my bro owns one and as much as I don't like it in many areas, there's no denying its a pure drivers car and is fun to drive! It often gets put up with super cars and there's not a bad review on it anywhere!

[color=gray]Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]
(Post Link) post #7 of 36 Old 19-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitomatt View Post
Hmm gonna stick up for the GT86 a bit here as my bro owns one and as much as I don't like it in many areas, there's no denying its a pure drivers car and is fun to drive! It often gets put up with super cars and there's not a bad review on it anywhere!

Well Im sure its getting bad reviews on the relevant Porsche and Alfa websites like this one

I mean would you compare the Alfa 4C with an Aventador or Enzo Ferrari ?
AO Silver Member

County: Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV3.0Litre View Post
Well Im sure its getting bad reviews on the relevant Porsche and Alfa websites like this one

Hey don't get me wrong, I'm for the 4C, just didn't appreciate the guy calling the GT86 junk, which is just ridiculous.

The reason the GT86 was in this vid, is because it's one of the best driving cars under £100k, just like the Cayman is and that's what the 4C is trying to get crowned also. 😊

(Post Link) post #9 of 36 Old 20-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Probably the brand name "Toyota" people object to being in this company of Alfa Porsche also

I mean if it was Peugeot or Honda or something like that ok no worries. Even if it was a Lexus would be ok.
AO Member

Member car:

4C LE 299

It wasn't my meaning to offend anyone with the word "junk". Sorry for that. But the Toyota is not built to be fast, it has the tires from a Prius to conceal that it can't drift on it's own power. So it's not really a sports car and is therefore, in my opinion at least, out of place in the test this thread covers.
(Post Link) post #11 of 36 Old 20-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

No that's alright its mandatory to speak the truth on this website
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Also why is the Alfa tested without traction control ?
Because when you engage Race mode (for faster response, more power etc), the traction control is switched off?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coniglio View Post
The guy in 4C drives like a ***. Almost rear-ends the others.
The 4C seems like it can't be confidently drifted for the cameras like the other two cars. Perhaps as a result of not drifting, it gets through the corners faster and looks like it's going to rear-end the opposition?

Although this review explains why the Cayman is the best car and the GT86 is the most fun, I'd still like to see some laptimes for interest.
AO Member

Member car:

4C LE 299

For about forty years we have known that the fastest way around a corner is to NOT go sideways. Therefore the 4C is made to go with its wheels in line. Just like it's made with a small and light turbo engine and a twin clutch transmission instead of a slower manual solution. All of this is the reason I put my money down and bought one.

When I wanna go silly I have an old school drive: Vladimir Ljadov shoots the Bull - a set on Flickr
MrQ
AO Member

Quote:
Why not, after all ? the gearbox change speed on an Enzo is 150 ms.
This, just to put in perspective the comments about the 4C laggy gearbox (130 ms...).

County: Aargau

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 4C

Hi Tallinn, you're absolutely right! Nothing to add - only one comment: Poor article!
(Post Link) post #16 of 36 Old 20-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

What I wrote in a similar thread on the same video :

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...4c-driven.html

The guy says the Alfa has some strong attributes but never names them. And particularly the 0-100 time of 4.5 vs the caymans 5.5 ! a full second quicker.

And around Nurburgring the 4C is equal to the Cayman S not the standard Cayman with a time of 8.04 And that is with the Cayman S using carbon ceramic brakes (Non standard?)

So the 4C would be much quicker than the standard Cayman around any track no doubt about that.

And the Toyota should not even be compared to the Alfa and Porsche, not even in the same class.
Coniglio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_NZ View Post
The 4C seems like it can't be confidently drifted for the cameras like the other two cars. Perhaps as a result of not drifting, it gets through the corners faster and looks like it's going to rear-end the opposition?.
Listen, each his or her own opinion, you won't hear anything from me on that.

But I and I expect all of us have now seen video's by not only Chris Harris, but also several of each : French, German, Belgian, Dutch and even Polish car magazines that all drift the rubber right off the rear tires leaving rooster tails of blue smoke and keep 4C adrift for what seems ages...

And then this vid comes in and we are to believe the car cannot drift?

I question the mental capacities of a road tester that tries to sell that story. They may not like the car but from that to proclaiming grass is blue and sky is green...

Last edited by Coniglio; 20-01-14 at 16:13.

(Post Link) post #18 of 36 Old 21-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Sports cars should be about outright speed rather than comfort. If you want something comfortable get a Range Rover or something.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Sports cars should be about outright speed rather than comfort. If you want something comfortable get a Range Rover or something.
Disagree with that unless you are minted and can have a car for specific purposes.

£50k+ for a one trick pony is a lot of wedge. £50k for a car that does it all brilliantly is reasonable.
AO Member

Member car:

4C LE 299

It's all about priorities. Alfa is making them right with the 4C in my opinion by going all in. No soft-core Cayman but a proper toy; lightweight, noisy and to h-ll with practicalities!
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
It's all about priorities. Alfa is making them right with the 4C in my opinion by going all in. No soft-core Cayman but a proper toy; lightweight, noisy and to h-ll with practicalities!
As long as they follow it up with a viable usuable coupe then that is fine but without a Brera or GT replacement, most current owners will be looking at the Cayman or similar.
AO Member

Member car:

4C LE 299

The upcoming Spider will be a more traditional proposition, even though it's made in collaboration with Mazda.

I think it's rather smart of Alfa to plug a gap in the market instead of going head to head with Porsche and other really strong competitors.
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadrone Rosso View Post
Disagree with that unless you are minted and can have a car for specific purposes.

£50k+ for a one trick pony is a lot of wedge. £50k for a car that does it all brilliantly is reasonable.
A Cayman that matches the 4C's performance will have to be a Cayman S.. And when you start looking at the S you start talking about more cash...

A number of reviewers clocked 0-100km/h closer to 4.2s than 4.5s.. Now that is Cayman and Cayman S humbling figures. Added to this you get much better fuel consumption from the 4C too.

Logical choice is obviously a Porsche.. But life is to short to follow the herd!

Last edited by Perreby_83; 22-01-14 at 06:38.
(Post Link) post #24 of 36 Old 21-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

As Ive said before if you want a pure purpose built sports car get the 4C

For comfort Porsche make the wonderful Cayenne V8 which has all the comfort in the world + performance

County: Aargau

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 4C

Just for your information. Toyota GT86 lap time on the Nordschleife is 8.45 compared to 8.04 for the Alfa 4C. Going sideway isn't the fastest approach....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > 4C & 4C Spider

Tags
cayman , gt86 , toyota

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page