Supersprint have got hold of their first 4C - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 10-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex
Supersprint have got hold of their first 4C

The supersprint facebook page has announced they have got hold of their first 4C and they are looking at plans with the exhaust system should be very interesting!

https://www.facebook.com/Supersprint

From the page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersprint

We think the performance can be increased by using a turbo downpipe with a HJ sports cats, and the sound can be refined, at idle is a bit rough. We will also improve the look of the tailpipes
If I was to buy a 4C, Supersprint would be sending me a new exhaust thats for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Garage
I owned a Abarth 500 with Magnetti "Monza" exhaust..

Supersprint could not improve the sound of that car and I cannot see it being any different with the 4C.

Not a chance I will allow them to touch my car...
AO Member

County: Istanbul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perreby_83 View Post

Not a chance I will allow them to touch my car...
Me neither. I am planning to keep my 4C 'factory fresh'
AO Member

County: Hessen
if there is one exhoust producer who be allowed to touch my white beauty.....
maybe ragazzon and acrapovic
(Post Link) post #5 of 16 Old 11-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

I've used supersprint for the last 5 years and their quality is amazing.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
I think the word amazing is over-used. Don't get me wrong, Supersprint is good quality, better than what comes out of most of the exhaust franchises dotted around the country. The good thing about Supersprint is dyno-development, not the quality of construction. To me the quality of construction is as good as it needs to be for the price but no more than that. It could all be made a lot nicer than it is.

For example:

Supersprint: http://win.clubminitalia.com/vari/su...t/DSC_0549.jpg

Akrapovic: http://img.f.ridersdiscount.com/foru...z1000_10_8.jpg

Nothing wrong with messy welds, as long as they do the job and don't rust, but they could be made to be much nicer.
AO Member

County: Harjumaa (Tallinn)

Member car:

4C LE 299

Akrapovic is pure artisanship. I had Akra om my Ducati 996 and fit and finish was outstanding.
Coniglio

I remember the Supersprint on my 75 being very boomy. Main criticism I hear about the 4C's is that it is boomy.
Hence, I fear a 4C with a Supersprint will sound like an foghorn.

(Post Link) post #9 of 16 Old 17-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
I think the word amazing is over-used. Don't get me wrong, Supersprint is good quality, better than what comes out of most of the exhaust franchises dotted around the country. The good thing about Supersprint is dyno-development, not the quality of construction. To me the quality of construction is as good as it needs to be for the price but no more than that. It could all be made a lot nicer than it is.

For example:

Supersprint: http://win.clubminitalia.com/vari/su...t/DSC_0549.jpg

Akrapovic: http://img.f.ridersdiscount.com/foru...z1000_10_8.jpg

Nothing wrong with messy welds, as long as they do the job and don't rust, but they could be made to be much nicer.
Interesting Dan, that is a messy manifold. My old 147 backbox was stunning. Still not a patch on Ryan's work though!
AO Silver Member

Given that the 4C is a small capacity turbo, it seems pretty clear to me that Alfa have put a lot of R&D into making the stock exhaust sound as good as it does. By rights it should be quiet and boring, but it's not. They've clearly done a lot of sound engineering. It's unlikely that it's that heavy either, as the factory car is so light.

As you may know, I'm all for enhancing factory cars with better exhausts where necessary. But I suspect that for the 4C it will be a tall order to make an aftermarket system that both enhances performance AND improves, or even maintains, a nice sound.

Brat Pack no.8
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationAlfa View Post
Interesting Dan, that is a messy manifold. My old 147 backbox was stunning. Still not a patch on Ryan's work though!
Its easy to be drawn in by the mirror-polished stainless steel. The exhausts are just Mig'd up, and are probably not back-purged with inert gas. Thats why they only give a 3 year guarantee in my opinion, because there is a slight possibility of contaminants in the welds causing corrosion.

I've had loads of used Supersprint exhaust bits from Alfas broken up over the years. Probably 90% were perfectly fine but there have been a few that were looking close to end-of-life, or at least needing repair. I would estimate a lot of these were built 2000 - 2005 as that was probably Supersprint's heyday for Alfas, so I'm talking about old exhaust systems that have seen years of use and many wet, salty winters. I would still have Supersprint on my V6 if it wasn't for the Unicorse backbox I got, as I do think they are good exhausts. But good is about as far as I could stretch, their reputation seems to imply they are a lot better than they are IMO.

Not much is a patch on what Ryan makes, but he's limited to about 1 exhaust a week, if that!
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa

The sound of the 4c is perfect , no need to change something
Stef
AO Member

County: Gauteng
Supersprint have got hold of their first 4C

Stef, we still waiting for your report on the car. We've given you more than enough time now!
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Garage

Member car:

E82 125i

Not many examples around of the 4C with the standard exhaust; but just those with the optional Sport exhaust - which has no silencers, just a catalyst after the turbo
Club Member
Membro Premio

Any videos of a 4C with standard exhaust and 4C with sports exhaust?

I bet on the sports version, a well-tuned resonator could get a much nicer note than with no silencers at all.
Coniglio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Any videos of a 4C with standard exhaust and 4C with sports exhaust?

I bet on the sports version, a well-tuned resonator could get a much nicer note than with no silencers at all.
I've seen one come by but can't find it anymore for posting here. Also the movies taken at the Festival Of Speed of the grey 4C; that one had a standard exhaust. Basically it is the same noise just much less volume.

From all youtube clips I saw, I was very sceptical. It sounds like a diesel at idle and like a souped up Golf at revs in most flicks. But then I had the fortune to see one in the flesh at a dealer who was nice enough to start it for me to hear it. Nothing prepares you for it.

- First the high pitched whine of the fuel pump which sounds like there is a transformer underneath that is about to come out.
- Then slight detonation / blurp
- Then something growling representing idle, very rough and industrial sounding, but already incredibly loud.
- When the dealer hit the gas, everybody standing around burst out laughing. It sounded like god shouting at an angry gorilla who was torturing a tiger.

My idea was to not use it in traffic, but at weekend mornings sneak out before the sun comes up to take it for a blast. I wonder how long it will take for the neighbours to reach for the torches and pitchforks now
Thinking about off-site storage.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > 4C & 4C Spider

Tags
hold , supersprint

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page