Alfa Diva - What the 4C should be ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 27 Old 06-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Alfa Diva - What the 4C should be ?

I just saw this Alfa Diva which is a concept car from 2006, Mid Engined V6 Busso 0-100km in 5 secs.

From Wiki

Alfa Romeo Diva - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Alfa Romeo Diva is a concept car of the Italian automobile manufacturer Alfa Romeo. The car was first shown at the Geneva Motor Show in 2006.[2] The car was developed through a collaboration between Centro Stile Alfa Romeo, Fiat Group's research center Elasis and the Espera design school led by Franco Sbarro.[3] The design of the car goes back to the icon Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale, making use of the butterfly doors. Although the car has the characteristic Alfa-nose, the nose is much like a Formula 1 car on. The car is built on a heavily modified chassis from an Alfa Romeo 159 and a transverse mounted 3.2 liter 290 bhp (216 kW; 294 PS) Busso V6. The car has top speed of 270 km/h (168 mph) and can accelerate from zero to 100 km/h (62 mph) in five seconds.[4]

italiaspeed.com: 2006 VILLA D'ESTE CONCOURS D'ELEGANZA

I wonder why Alfa didn't make this instead of the 4C. It has the V6 Busso which everyone loves and would go along way to calming the criticism of the 4Cs uncharismatic 4 cylinder engine.

I assume the power to weight issue was possibly not as good as the 4C but with a time of 0-100 in 5 Secs that's not too far of the 4Cs time. Perhaps with other weight savings reductions or engine tuning it could be brought down to 4.5 secs ?

Also I wonder if there will be a 6C version coming out. Every Alfa has the 4cylinder version then a 6 appears. Eg the Alfetta, 916 GTVs, 147, 159 Brera etc So I wonder will this be the next 6C after the 4C ??

And what happened to the Diva, Why wasn't it ever built ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Garage
Dont think the Busso met Euro 5 and Euro 6 emissions..

Added to that its a heavy engine! And the Diva front end.. Well I have seen better
AO Member

County: Kobenhavn
I'll rather have the 4 pot turbo than a V6, the only advantages the V6 have is the sound.
Fuel consumption is worse, weight is higher, torque is lover (because of the turbo) and the V6 is both bigger and more expensive not only to develop and build but also to service.
I for one think the 4 cylinders is the best compromise for a light, fast sports car.
MrQ
AO Member

Not surprised that Sbarro was involved in this thing. Not everyone's taste.

As to the V6, I don't see him any advantages. Even the sound is better with the 4C. When I discovered the 4C in the flesh, there was a Spider V6 in a corner of the garage. Someone started it up for me. The 4C wins big time.

People who complain about the 4C's 4 cylinders talk without knowing, or live in the past.

Last edited by MrQ; 06-01-14 at 14:13.
twauster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV3.0Litre View Post
And what happened to the Diva, Why wasn't it ever built ?
It was never supposed to be built, like 90% of the concept cars automakers and carrozzieris show at Geneva. It was a technical exercise by Elasis and Espera, "loaning" the Alfa Romeo brand. The Diva supposedly went on to become a test platform for brakes and other stuff.

Maybe it's scrapped, maybe it's gathering dust somewhere, maybe it was already bought by Corrado Lopresto or maybe it's being used for decoration in the cafeteria at Espera. Who knows.

If you look at the 4C, the Diva has become reality in any case. The concept is the same. The Busso is yesterday's news and would guarantee any new Alfa not becoming type approved.

I wonder what complaints we would hear if the Diva went more or less unchanged into production ...

AO Platinum Member

County: Hampshire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.0 JTDM Ti

Dont like the looks of it, probably a good thing Alfa decided to make the 4C instead.

I was only thinking the other day that once Alfa gets its act together and starts to launch some new cars the 6C would be a good idea. Put it somewhere around the £60k-£90k 911 bracket, then they would have a proper luxuary sports car without it being over £100k like the 8C - they should also make it a little more "available" and unlike the 8C.

It could also go racing, which alot of people would like to see.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvid View Post
I'll rather have the 4 pot turbo than a V6, the only advantages the V6 have is the sound.
Fuel consumption is worse, weight is higher, torque is lover (because of the turbo) and the V6 is both bigger and more expensive not only to develop and build but also to service.
I for one think the 4 cylinders is the best compromise for a light, fast sports car.
Agree with a lot of this from a technical standpoint.

In time, the 4C will go down as one of the classics in the AR stable. And not just for its styling (save the headlights).

Super car carbon-fibre tub at a relatively affordable price. A model, IMO, which few car manufacturers had the will/desire/ability to pull off.
(Post Link) post #8 of 27 Old 06-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

I hope they make a 6C version soon.

Mind you the Diva is not that much of a stunner in terms of its looks but it is 8 years old so Im sure there would be an updated version by now.
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

Giulietta Veloce

That Diva is a relic of the past & should stay there. The 4C is one of the most forward looking cars of the moment... Forget about running cars on electricity or stored energy from fossil fuels, the 4C is a realistic car for now & there's nothing really comparable... They Porsche is a completely different concept and the Elise is just an old school collection of parts in a fun package...

The 4C concept is great & I hope it generates sales, because it deserves to.
AO Member

County: Aberdeenshire
I'm prepared to bet £10 Scottish with anyone that Alfa wont build a V6 version of the 4C.

any takers?
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartmunn View Post
I'm prepared to bet £10 Scottish with anyone that Alfa wont build a V6 version of the 4C.

any takers?
Given their prolific output of models in recent years, I'd say your money is more than safe.
AO Member

County: Aberdeenshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classico View Post
Given their prolific output of models in recent years, I'd say your money is more than safe.
I reckon so ! given that they have already sold out two years production of the 4 cylinder.. there is no incentive to re-engineer for a bigger heavier less efficient engine ...
Coniglio

Ah the Diva. Actually I think it looks a lot like the 4C. Have a look at those lights, remind you of something? That side intake? Door swoop?

So consider this : the 6C Busso in that car would have been phased out just like the old Lambo V12 was, due to the new and stricter Euro norms. But this was 2006. What if it was actually launched then? Alfa would have had the imagebuilder it needed and would have sold 3500 a year easily (judging by 4C demand) so 25 000 sporty Alfa's would be darting around our roads by now, raising brand awareness.

Did Fiat management think that was a bad idea, or were they too busy buying a company that is 13.7 billion in debt? They seem genuinely happy about having done so, so I guess we know the answer. I love the 4C but am actually wondering if it will be Alfa's last hurrah. Time will tell.

twauster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coniglio View Post
Did Fiat management think that was a bad idea, or were they too busy buying a company that is 13.7 billion in debt?
Like I wrote above: it was never intended to be anything but an experimental car. It was an interesting technical excercise from Fiat's research division and Sbarro's design school, not a design proposal to wet anyone's interest. Not officially anyway, and Alfa was probably too busy with the GM debacle and the 159, Brera and Spider to consider something like the Diva.

In hindsight, it could easily be thought of as the conceptual progenitor of the 4C, but like Marchionne have stated in many interviews, developing a production car from scratch is expensive (several hundred million euros have been mentioned, but don't quote me on that) and time consuming. In 2006, Fiat SpA had just broke even, the MiTo and Giulietta projects were already underway and the 159, Brera and Spider had just been launched.

It's probably not a coincidence that the earliest reports of "something" happening with regard to a possible two-seater sports car from Alfa are from the summer 2009, around the time of Fiat's Chrysler deal.

AO Member

County: Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefoam View Post
That Diva is a relic of the past & should stay there. The 4C is one of the most forward looking cars of the moment... Forget about running cars on electricity or stored energy from fossil fuels, the 4C is a realistic car for now & there's nothing really comparable... They Porsche is a completely different concept and the Elise is just an old school collection of parts in a fun package...

The 4C concept is great & I hope it generates sales, because it deserves to.
I am certain that the 4c is the start of the new mid engine thinking from Ferrari. There can't be a 6c that would be a Dino.

The carbon fibre lightweight thinking is the way the mid engine Ferrari family will evolve.

I think this individual thinking from AR will be viewed as a milestone in 10 years time
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Really like the Diva and there do seem to be some resemblances with the 4C.
(Post Link) post #17 of 27 Old 10-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

I can just imagine the 4C will be such a success as a ground breaking Alfa for its time like the Alfa Sud was.

However as everyone one else caught up like the Germans and Japanese copying the Sud with hot hatches and then far surpassing the Sud in terms of performance and capability that the Sud was left floundering as a relic that never really improved passed what it was.

There was nothing really after the Sud

I hope this wont happen with the 4C. Once its released there will be countless copies and improvements from the Germans that will improve it beyond site and the classic 4C will just be left as a classic of a by gone era
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo
Stunning looking car.
twauster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_360_Mod View Post
I am certain that the 4c is the start of the new mid engine thinking from Ferrari. There can't be a 6c that would be a Dino.
What does the 4C have to do with Ferrari?

Alfa/Fiat Powertrain and Ferrari have little or nothing to do with each other apart from being owned by Fiat Group, and arguing that an Alfa 6C somehow would become a Dino is ... far fetched.

Ferrari have had exotic mid-engined cars for 40+ years.

Coniglio

Quote:
Originally Posted by twauster View Post
Like I wrote above: it was never intended to be anything but an experimental car.
Sure, I know, I just wanted to say "what if". For example FIAT could have not made the Multipla or Croma, that hardly sold anything more than the numbers I raised for a Diva. Meanwhile if they had invested money for those in the Diva there would have been more worldwide Alfa brand awareness at minimum- what the 4C is supposed to do now, but they would have had it almost a decade earlier.

(Post Link) post #21 of 27 Old 10-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

The mid engine layout was available from Fiat in the X19. I don't know why that wasn't developed into something more powerful and exotic like the 4C was back then.
AO Member

County: Berkshire
[Qsimple xartwauster;7512745]What does the 4C have to do with Ferrari?

Alfa/Fiat Powertrain and Ferrari have little or nothing to do with each other apart from being owned by Fiat Group, and arguing that an Alfa 6C somehow would become a Dino is ... far fetched.

Ferrari have had exotic mid-engined cars for 40+ years.[/QUOTE]

Most know the Dino was a low price car with a Fiat produced engine. The value was the design, handling and of the construction in Maranello.

The Dino... a simple car really in an age of big expensive lovely Ferraris. Ditto for the 4c. FIATAown the whole stable. Stands to reason that collective marketing and engineering working together.
AO Platinum Member

County: Lincolnshire
Diva an absolutely stunning car - a real mystery it was never built.
(Post Link) post #24 of 27 Old 12-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by divadiva View Post
Diva an absolutely stunning car - a real mystery it was never built.
Diva Diva ! certainly a good name !
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
I just found some old photos of the Diva from 2008 and thought I'd start a new thread in here, and found this one! Didn't realise it came out way back in 2006! Thats 8 years ago now, when I bought my first Alfa.. How time flies.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > 4C & 4C Spider

Tags
alfa , diva

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page