Some info for Australian Customers - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 38 Old 10-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Nissan Pulsar

Some info for Australian Customers

Hi all.

I contacted my dealer today to ask about the 4c. He told me that currently we are looking at third quarter 14 for release with build dates starting march meaning pricing, specs, colour etc in Feb.

So if I go ahead with it, it means I waited 16 months for mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Victoria

Member car:

Alfa Brera 2.0

Thanks for the info. I received similar information from my dealer although he said more mid year. I placed my order and deposit in September 2011.
(Post Link) post #3 of 38 Old 10-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Nissan Pulsar

Wow. Sep 11!! Someone was seriously keen it's redicuoulsly long wait. The fact there is no info about pricing is what makes it worse. Just want to know how much the LE will set me up? I mean it could end up out of my budget and in that case I go get something else, as much as I hate to say it.
AO Member

Budget for AUS $100k plus for the LE and you should be fine.

On good authority from Chrysler/FIAT Aus GHQ in Melbourne.
AO Member

County: Western Australia

Member car:

4C LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classico View Post
Budget for AUS $100k plus for the LE and you should be fine.

On good authority from Chrysler/FIAT Aus GHQ in Melbourne.
The same mob who said $80-$90k for the "normal" edition....then Italy released the price at $75k.

I'll wait for Italy to tell Australia what the price will be
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliber45 View Post
The same mob who said $80-$90k for the "normal" edition....then Italy released the price at $75k.

I'll wait for Italy to tell Australia what the price will be
Good luck mate.

Brace yourself for the disappointment.
(Post Link) post #7 of 38 Old 14-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Nissan Pulsar

So might as well buy a standard edition and option it with the LE extras. It will work out cheaper in that case for Aus. I'm actually anticipating 89K for Aus.
AO Member

Member car:

4C LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRAW View Post
So might as well buy a standard edition and option it with the LE extras. It will work out cheaper in that case for Aus. I'm actually anticipating 89K for Aus.
The price of the "normal" variant has already been released for Aust. It's $75k. From various news sources (from the Balocco launch in Sept): "At the 4Cs launch in Italy this week Alfa Romeo CEO Harald Wester said the 4C would cost $75,000 in Australia."

Apparently AR Australian representatives present were shocked to hear that, so that's why I'll wait for Italy to set the LE price - even though I'm not expecting great things.

I wish they had accepted orders and set the price back in March at the launch when the AUD was worth 0.15c more though. At the time it would have made the LE the same price as Sth Africa - around AUD$89k. Sth Africa got a bargain because the ZAR has dropped in value too since March.
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Garage
Quote:
I wish they had accepted orders and set the price back in March at the launch when the AUD was worth 0.15c more though. At the time it would have made the LE the same price as Sth Africa - around AUD$89k. Sth Africa got a bargain because the ZAR has dropped in value too since March.
Its lost almost 20% against the Euro since we signed. So we got slapped with a price increase last week. And the possibility of another price increase before delivery. So trust me the 4C aint no bargain in SA.
AO Member

Wouldn't surprise me if they were over $100K by the time there actually on sale here in Australia.

You may be able to buy a second hand one after there made available for sale and they will probably be more expensive than the list price as the waiting list is so long.

Happens with brand new Ferraris as well if the waiting list is so long.
Razzo

I was meant to go back to my dealer weeks ago to sign the final order for my 4C.....
In all honesty, I've simply lost interest - I'm not playing this 'anticipation game' with AR!
And once you have signed, that anticipation just grows - and all AR is going to do is disappoint me month after month after month after month......

They finally have a car I want (since my Brera and Brera-Spider) and now you have to beg for it and hope for it and long for it - sorry, but NO!

I have a real appreciation for this brand - I even have an AR tattoo!! - but the way this company is being run is an absolute joke! Actually, it's hopeless!

When I eventually get bored of my Giulietta QV (because that is all that Alfa has for me to buy) and I can't walk into a dealer and buy a 4C - then sadly, I am done with this brand....!!

AO Member

Member car:

4C LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perreby_83 View Post
Its lost almost 20% against the Euro since we signed. So we got slapped with a price increase last week. And the possibility of another price increase before delivery. So trust me the 4C aint no bargain in SA.
Seriously? There was provision for a price increase in the contract? I thought you guys in SA had managed to dodge the bullet!

The AUD has also dropped almost 20% against the Euro since March.

If the 4C is too expensive I'm going to pass on it. As much as I love it, it's not an AUD$120k car!
AO Member

Member car:

4C LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV3.0Litre View Post
Wouldn't surprise me if they were over $100K by the time there actually on sale here in Australia.

You may be able to buy a second hand one after there made available for sale and they will probably be more expensive than the list price as the waiting list is so long.

Happens with brand new Ferraris as well if the waiting list is so long.
Not too sure about that. AR has a brand perception issue here in Australia. The only people who know they don't rust/fall apart whilst sitting still etc.. etc.. are the people who already own an AR. Just read the comments on any Australian car news web site when AR is mentioned and you'll see what I mean.

I think AR could face a pricing conundrum here. Price it too high and it could be out of reach for a lot of Alfisti.

I can afford to spend $120k (plus the additional $23k of tax - $7k stamp duty, $14k luxury tax and dealer charges) on an LE, but as much as I love AR and as much as I desire an LE, I won't do it if that is indeed the price.

Why? Well I'm sure nobody cares, but I'm tired of Australia being whacked unjustifiable markups when comparing prices to the UK (and the UK has 20% VAT) and other countries. I'm also tired of the car manufacturers peddling woeful excuses as to why their brand X is 30-100% more expensive here than overseas.

If the LE is $120k + on-roads, it will make it $30k more than the €60k Euro price (which includes 20% VAT).

In my eyes that will place AR's 4C firmly in the same gouging arena of Porsche/Maserati et al. I'm hopeful that it won't be the case as Fiat's and AR's are currently around the same price here as the UK..... But all will be revealed in 2014.
(Post Link) post #14 of 38 Old 15-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Nissan Pulsar

I think its time we put a united front and sent a signed letter to AR Australia demanding to know what the heck is going on. They are literarily sitting on over 100k of deposits if not more.

And exactly right. How come SA got to know a price when they are a smaller market and also a rhd. I was hoping this would be my first Alfa but if it hits 100k then no thanks and honestly I don't want a normal version when my heart was set on an le and been waiting so long. I can probably get 90% of the fun in a Clio sport rs200 cup.
AO Member

Well the top of the range AR my car the GTV 3.0L was $75-80K in 2000 ! so Im sure the top of the range AR will be way over 100K+ 13 years later.

Also its just cheaper to buy cars in US and UK where cars are half / third price. Have been wanting to move to USA just so I can afford all these exotic cars for almost nothing.

Older Porsche Boxster going for sale in US for almost nothing $1,000- $2,000 where as in Australia pay 12-20K+

Brand new Ferrari 458 is $250K in USA compared to $750K in Australia !!!

I guess were not to bad off. Price of cars in Singapore is 4-6 times more expensive again.
Basic Toyota is around 100K
AO Member

There really shouldn't be any surprise that the 4C is going to sell for big dollars in this market compared to overseas. It has always been this way here in Australia.

The V6 Brera and Spider sold for 100k on road in 2006. Do you seriously think a limited production car with a carbon-fibre tub and an unbelievably long waiting list is really going to sell for 75k here? Especially with the recent devaluation of the Oz Dollar.

"New" Alfas have always sold for tens of thousands more in Oz than the UK and elsewhere. It's when they are sold second-hand years later that you can pick up a huge bargain due to massive depreciation.

The simple fact of the matter is Chrysler/FIAT know there is strong demand for the car. They have the deposits. They're going to mark it up to meet market forces. Classic demand/supply. Not set some low arbitrary amount just to avoid alienating "Alfisti". Wouldn't read too much into that Wester announcement. Why do you think Chrysler/FIAT still haven't confirmed a firm price? They have non-Alfa people genuinely interested in this car.

Tbh, wouldn't be surprised at all if the non-LE version is 100k or more. And you know what? It will still sell. Simply because of the limited numbers here in Oz. There are just 80 on offer. All are spoken for.

For every Oz buyer dropping out, there's twice as many, if not more, willing to join the queue.

Last edited by Classico; 15-12-13 at 19:29.
AO Member

County: Queensland
ATECO gouged Australians on price and inflexibility with options and wiss poor service for years.
I hope FIAT/Alfa Australia will continue to correct this, as they have with the Mito and Giulietta (500, Panda) pricing

As to those who are tired of waiting, harden up
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_m67 View Post
As to those who are tired of waiting, harden up
Shouldn't be THAT exciting waiting for a car !!
(Post Link) post #19 of 38 Old 05-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Nissan Pulsar

Any updates in Aus??
Monkeymonk

I am waiting patiently. Can't wait to get my hands on a 4C

(Post Link) post #21 of 38 Old 06-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Nissan Pulsar

Me too but tbh I'm starting to get a bit impatient and looking at other cars. Still got my deposit and guaranteed 4C LE but not too sure anymore. Maybe I should sell my place in the queue hehe.
AO Member

County: Queensland

Member car:

RX-8

singapore prices are that high because they need to buy the licence to own a car ~70k, then 5k or whatever for a car.

we get rorted here guys. no two ways about it.

this car I will be excited to see on the road, but definitely will be $150k+

maybe one day the prices will drop enough for me to own one
AO Member

Member car:

4C LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRAW View Post
Still got my deposit and guaranteed 4C LE
Curious to know how you know it's guaranteed?
(Post Link) post #24 of 38 Old 07-01-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Nissan Pulsar

Quote:
Curious to know how you know it's guaranteed?
First in the queue at the largest dealership. They will get two.
AO Member

April-June 2014 quarter still the estimated release date in Oz.

Eye watering drive-away price still TBC.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > 4C & 4C Spider

Tags
australian , customers , info

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page