Automobile Mag 4C vs Cayman - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 45 Old 08-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Garage
Automobile Mag 4C vs Cayman

2014 Alfa Romeo 4C vs 2014 Porsche Cayman - Comparison - Automobile Magazine

Having said that, the Cayman is, of course, the more complete all-around car and the safer bet for those who travel long distances and many miles. But as soon as parking space and funds permit the purchase of a second car, an Alfa Romeo 4C should be on every gearhead's want list. A mere four days after relinquishing the keys, I was already feeling strong withdrawal symptoms and longing for an encore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa

Absolutly superb , he seems to dream of .....
Can not wait again and again , Alfa please stop the torture and deliver my LE

Stef France Rosso LE 288
AO Member

County: Harjumaa (Tallinn)

Member car:

4C LE 299

"Despite the Cayman's 38-hp advantage, the 4C was almost always the quicker car, and it was also more fun to drive"

I like the sound of that!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4SV

good review... most Porsche's are great cars, but like many german cars can be o so safe and a tad boring

the 4c sounds like a riot... looks sensational and seems a bit flawed, sounds perfect to me
AO Member

Great review of both cars giving the pros and cons of both-------except the one obvious difference that any pl***ker can buy a Cayman, only around 50 4C LE in total for UK-- probably that many Caymans in Aberdeen alone!

Need a total lack of imagination to choose the Porche unless you are using it as a daily driver and don't mind joining the herd
AO Member

Member car:

MB

Very exciting review.

But how can a car weighs 2500 lbs has the same 0-62 time as a car that weighs 2000 lbs?
AO Member

County: Aberdeenshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster View Post
Great review of both cars giving the pros and cons of both-------except the one obvious difference that any pl***ker can buy a Cayman, only around 50 4C LE in total for UK-- probably that many Caymans in Aberdeen alone!

Need a total lack of imagination to choose the Porche unless you are using it as a daily driver and don't mind joining the herd
---
Never mind Aberdeen there must be 50 Caymans in Stonehaven...
AO Member

Seems to reinforce the well known German v Italian auto stereotypes.

Efficient, flawless, staid performance v flawed exhilaration.
AO Member

County: Texas

Member car:

Porsche has gotten soft. It's more for a mass market than the enthusiast. It's a great car, but not what they once used to be. I once pontificated on how great it would be to have a very light-weighted Porsche with a small engine. Alfa seems to have answered all that. I just hope they come back to the US.
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Can't understand why the press seem so keen to compare the Cayman v the 4C. They are completely different cars, which I think comes out in this report. I have a 981 Boxster and have ordered a 4 C. I intend to keep both cars. The Boxster is an awesome car (better IMO than a 911 which I drove back to back at the Porsche Silverstone test track) but is not as special as a 4C. I will cherish the 4C for its design and pureness. It will be totally impractical for regular use or even holidays (due to lack of luggage space). But it will be rarer than a Ferrari and the nearest I will get to a Dino which I always dreamed of owning whilst watching Tony Curtis in The Persuaders 40 years ago! I will be making a daily visit to my garage just to look at the 4C!!
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa

Totaly agree, the 4c is in fact the new Dino......

Stef France LE Rosso 288
AO Member

County: Gauteng
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef100 View Post
Totaly agree, the 4c is in fact the new Dino......

Stef France LE Rosso 288
Stef, did you manage to go to The SBK race on the weekend to get a glimpse of the 4C "Safety Car"?
AO Silver Member

County: Wielkopolskie
WOW, there are actually people who will get the 4C! Can't wait for your first impressions! What is the scheduled date?
deppi0

Quote:
Originally Posted by radosuaf View Post
WOW, there are actually people who will get the 4C! Can't wait for your first impressions! What is the scheduled date?
hmmmm shall we say not defined yet?
No seriously should be around mid Dec but I believe in the UK it will be some time in January instead.

Continental Europe should be getting them by the end of the month I was told

AO Silver Member

County: Wielkopolskie
Unfortunately, haven't come across anyone in Poland to get this beauty. Not counting on any showcars either .
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa

in France L'automobile Magazine and the guy who test the both cars says
When you pass from the 4c to the cayman, you feel Like seating in a Porsche Cayenne!!!!!!

4c Will become a must have , a pure car , a disguided racing machine
Have bought this morning Top Gear magazine , fantastic Review
Stef.
AO Member

Why aren't they comparing the 4C to the Porsche 911 Carrera S which it is actually faster than ? That's the comparison I want to see.

And other comparisons are being made to the Cayman S not the base model Cayman.
deppi0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef100 View Post
in France L'automobile Magazine and the guy who test the both cars says
When you pass from the 4c to the cayman, you feel Like seating in a Porsche Cayenne!!!!!!

4c Will become a must have , a pure car , a disguided racing machine
Have bought this morning Top Gear magazine , fantastic Review
Stef.
Stef do you know if L'Automobile Magazine is available in digital or ipad form? They won't send it to London
Waiting for TopGear to come out on Zinio...hopefully VERY soon.

Thanks

AO Member

Member car:

Alfa

Yes you have it for the Ipad go to Journaux et magazines en ligne, mensuel et hebdo sur lekiosk.com
It is available.
Stef
deppi0

Merci

AO Silver Member

County: Essex

Member car:

Mito 1.4 16v.

I have to say, I find it ridiculous that so many people are slating the Cayman for being German and therefore, somehow, boring.
Despite Porsche making the best sports cars for the past 50 years and the Cayman being the best. It's also not that common in the UK.

Is "safe" a problem? Doesn't make it boring; not a 2-seater mid-engined sports car with a chassis that has journalist's knees trembling.

Some of the stuff coming out here is so heavily rose-tinted as to have parted with reality completely.
The 4C is looking to be one of the best driver's cars out there. The Cayman has been that car for almost 8 years and there is much physical/financial crossover.

I am not saying you cannot have a preference. That is fine, which is why I think Ullers is bang-on. I am just frustrated with us writing off a great car for no reason other than the one we want and to slate it for stupid reasons, such as it being boring, because it doesn't only appeal to hardcore fans.

Blue Mito, Tan leather. 'Nuff said!
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubizzle View Post
I have to say, I find it ridiculous that so many people are slating the Cayman for being German and therefore, somehow, boring.
Despite Porsche making the best sports cars for the past 50 years and the Cayman being the best. It's also not that common in the UK.

Is "safe" a problem? Doesn't make it boring; not a 2-seater mid-engined sports car with a chassis that has journalist's knees trembling.

Some of the stuff coming out here is so heavily rose-tinted as to have parted with reality completely.
The 4C is looking to be one of the best driver's cars out there. The Cayman has been that car for almost 8 years and there is much physical/financial crossover.

I am not saying you cannot have a preference. That is fine, which is why I think Ullers is bang-on. I am just frustrated with us writing off a great car for no reason other than the one we want and to slate it for stupid reasons, such as it being boring, because it doesn't only appeal to hardcore fans.
Yes but this is an Alfa Romeo website. We are going to be slightly biased towards the 4C over the Porsche
AO Member

Alfa Romeo 4C vs Porsche Boxster S

Heres another comparsion 4C vs Boxster S
deppi0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubizzle View Post

I don't really agree with your issue here. Why isn't someone allowed to think that the Cayman is too "German" and a little boring compared to the 4C? I almost bought a Cayman a little over 6 months ago but I was not particularly excited when I saw it, sat in it and drove it. The only part that was great was it's track performance....but that's not enough for me and for most people as we don't only want to get excited when we are on a track. I am obviously exaggerating but it feels like I am in a very plush and sporty Golf in the Cayman.
It's the same when people say that they find the McLaren 12C too boring compared to a Ferrari 458.

"safe" can be a problem for a lot of people when you talk about a sports car.

PS In London the Cayman/Boxster combination is a pretty common sight!

AO Member

Agree with deppio.

My current ride does everything better than my past Alfas.

Ride quality. Build quality. Lack of mechanical/electrical issues. Faster. Lighter.

Name almost any criteria, it does it better.

But its bloody boring. Makes nowhere near the lovely rasp. And the styling....well....no comparison.

Boring can be good. Especially if you need something solid and reliable. But does it stir any emotion? Does it want to make you drive it? Or clean it every weekend. Drink in the lines? Listen to the roar between gears?

That's why I want to get back in an Alfa.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > 4C & 4C Spider

Tags
automobile , cayman , mag

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page