Evo Review - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 202 Old 26-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Istanbul
Evo Review

Long awaited review of the 4C by the guys from Evo magazine:

Alfa Romeo 4C review, price and specs | evo

Enjoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -
Don't think they liked it ?
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo
4 * out of 5 can't be bad.
AO Member

Looking forward to reading the Oct.9 issue of Evo on the 4c.
deppi0

Full review from them
Pretty good I would say...
Evo 189_8 Feature Alfa 4C - Evo

AO Member

Interesting how other reviewers like the 4C more than the Cayman or Lotus.

I tend to agree with them.

Don't like how Evo says the Porsche/Lotus is better than the 4C
AO Member

Member car:

elise

Summary seems to be that it is a geometry tweak away from perfection
AO Member

Great article.

Loved the breakdown.

Thanks for posting deppio.
RSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV3.0Litre View Post
Don't think they liked it ?
Quote:
Interesting how other reviewers like the 4C more than the Cayman or Lotus.

I tend to agree with them.

Don't like how Evo says the Porsche/Lotus is better than the 4C
I think they liked it a lot didn't they ?

Main area where they deem it inferior to the Porsche and Lotus is in the engine dept which seems fair enough to me.

AO Member

County: Noord Holland

Member car:

Alfa 159 2.2 jts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK View Post
I think they liked it a lot didn't they ?

Main area where they deem it inferior to the Porsche and Lotus is in the engine dept which seems fair enough to me.
After reading the full review I do not understand why they've given it 4 1/2 stars. It's quite negative. And that's ok as long as it's factual and balanced.

It starts whit the remark that Alfa did not make anything exiting in the past three decades. Well did VW ? Car journos always
leave the impression that Alfa still competes, or has to compete with Ferrari.

Then there's the comparison with the Elise/Exige and the Cayman. The writer of the article seems to be shopping selectively between the good points of the two aforementioned in his comparison with the 4C. But in doing so he forgets to mention the negatives of the Elise/Exige and Cayman.

F.i. the 4C engine isn't bespoke enough when compared with the Caymans Boxer, and that it's also fitted in the Q. Well first of all it's made from alu instead of cast iron. And I can still remember the critisizm when the Lotus was introduced: it has a Toyota engine.No word on that though.

Then theres the fact that an Elise is a rather cramped car, not mentioned.
And then theres the price, yes the Cayman is a very accomplished car, but which Cayman ? The fancy specced out S probably, as tested in the Evo track car of the year, which means that here in the NL it's roughly 40.000 euros more expensive than the 4C.

But he didn't mention that.

Last edited by OneManShow2; 25-10-13 at 23:46.
AO Member

That's why I thought he didn't like it. I can tell in the undertone of his writing perhaps he wasn't a fan of the car but was merely trying to report objectively on it.

And a Lotus with a Toyota Engine ? yuk.
AO Member

County: Noord Holland

Member car:

Alfa 159 2.2 jts

Quote:
That's why I thought he didn't like it. I can tell in the undertone of his writing perhaps he wasn't a fan of the car but was merely trying to report objectively on it.

And a Lotus with a Toyota Engine ? yuk.
dinomito

The latest issue of EVO arrived on my doorstep yesterday. The 4C is part of their car of the year piece. It's not good news.........
Every single writer placed it in last place. The steering and the engine/gearbox being the main problems. I really did hope that this would be a true 5 star car, it sounds like it's some way off of that.

deppi0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinomito View Post
The latest issue of EVO arrived on my doorstep yesterday. The 4C is part of their car of the year piece. It's not good news.........
Every single writer placed it in last place. The steering and the engine/gearbox being the main problems. I really did hope that this would be a true 5 star car, it sounds like it's some way off of that.
I haven't read the ecoty yet but on the previous issue they gave the 4C 4.5 stars so I don't think they believe it's too bad
I like Evo normally but the Ecoty has become ridiculous in the last few years and all they like as best are Porsche....

AO Gold Member

Garage
Yep, not good news for Alfa. They even made the point that it was firmly last. Beaten by a mini is the killer - that's really annoying.

As usual, reviewers blow hot and cold over the latest Alfa.
AO Member

Beaten by a Mini Well that does it. Im selling all my Italian cars and only buying German from now on
AO Member

Top Gear Australia Magazine is out and has the 4C as the Sexiest Car of 2014, so I can imagine it will be a good write up. Didn't get a chance to go through it but Ill try and buy it or have a closer look
AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
Sure EVO are all Scooby Do drivers and as a result favour Chav , they wouldn't know class if it slapped them across their face. It's like giving someone whose staple diet is fish &chips a gourmet meal of course they are not going to enjoy it, so take the positive from it and be Assured its not going to be a Chav magnet like the latest Range Rover-BMW -Audi et al.
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Garage
To be honest I do not think the 4C will be standing in line to win Car of the Year awards (official and those hosted by Magazines). Its to focused and raw. So the everyday practicality and niceties required to win such an award is not there.

If they host "sports car" of the year award then the 4C will surely put a better fight.

As for Evo and their moaning about the steering. All the other reviewers loved the steering and didn't mind the fact that it "tram lined" as you get used to it pretty quickly.
dinomito

The Lotus Exige won it last year alongside the Huayra. EVO love a stripped back sports car. They have been looking forward to this car as much as us.

Alfa were very keen for EVO to get the 4C for their COTY article knowing that a good result would please all the people who have ordered this car without seeing OR driving it 1st. To finish dead last by some way is, to me, confirmation that Alfa have done it again.

The 8C was the same. Beautiful to look at, not quite there as a driving experience. At least the 8C had the benefit of sounding great too.

Never mind though, it's sold out for nigh on the next 18 months.

AO Silver Member

Garage

How can you say "To finish dead last by some way is, to me, confirmation that Alfa have done it again".
What about all the other reviewers that loved the car and have lots of praise for it? You ignoring them and following EVO blindly?

Luckily I CBA about reviews like this so it doesn't bother me one little bit. And some car's weren't nominated for their COTY's so by default those cars finished last, not the 4C
AO Silver Member

Garage
Double post

Last edited by Perreby_83; 06-11-13 at 07:20.
AO Member

What were the other cars EVO compared ?

Is the article online yet ?

And since when did an Alfa come first in any competition or car of the year award anyway??

Of all the Alfas Ive owned or known of the last 30 years I cant think of any Alfa that was car of the year !

Last edited by GTV3.0Litre; 06-11-13 at 07:23.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Alfa Romeo 156 was COTY in a lot of countries! It destroyed the competition in SA that year...
deppi0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinomito View Post
The Lotus Exige won it last year alongside the Huayra. EVO love a stripped back sports car. They have been looking forward to this car as much as us.

Alfa were very keen for EVO to get the 4C for their COTY article knowing that a good result would please all the people who have ordered this car without seeing OR driving it 1st. To finish dead last by some way is, to me, confirmation that Alfa have done it again.

The 8C was the same. Beautiful to look at, not quite there as a driving experience. At least the 8C had the benefit of sounding great too.

Never mind though, it's sold out for nigh on the next 18 months.
Those are the same people that gave the car 4.5 stars 1 month before when they wrote a full article about the 4C! They are as usual inconsistent!

I would love to know as Perreby said why "Alfa has done it again"..... 99% of reviews are excellent but you dismiss them on the 3rd review that Evo does and the only one of the 3 they have done that is negative????? Odd IMO

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > 4C & 4C Spider

Tags
evo , review

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page