A kind of half review of the 4C.. This bloke sat shotgun at Goodwood - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 13-07-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Garage
A kind of half review of the 4C.. This bloke sat shotgun at Goodwood

Sounds GOOD lads!

Alfa Romeo 4C: a tonne of promise | Autocar

ďI swear to you,Ē says the animated Italian to my left: ďeven wet, it will weigh less than a tonne. The steering: manual (he means unassisted). Nothing between you and the car. But Iím sorry - I canít tell you how much the carbon tub costs.Ē

He shrugs his shoulders, rolls his eyes. If heís lying, at least heís bothering to put on a show.

The man in question is Davide Kluzer, PR man for Alfa Romeo. And the car he is talking about Ė the one Iím riding in, in the direction of the Goodwood hillclimb startline Ė could just be the most significant new sports car of the last ten years: the Alfa Romeo 4C.

Couldnít be much else. How many other new mainstream sports cars have come along since the original Lotus Elise, offering such Elise-like promise? But, while the driving will have to wait until later in the year, our first impressions of this new mid-engined welterweight can be formed here and now, under the gaze of the Goodwood crowd.

That crowd throngs around the 4C as we queue up to take the marshallís flag. Some ask if itís real. Others how much power there is, and what itíll cost.

One bloke says heís got an order in for an early car, and asks politely if he should sell his Porsche 993 to complete on it. Of course he should. The Alfaís all set to be one of the most acclaimed debuts of this year, and itís already sold out until the second half of 2014.

To sit in, the 4Cís proportioned more like the aforementioned Lotus than the Porsche Cayman itís priced against. The sills are wide, the cabin intimate. Iím 6ft 3in, and with the seat right back Iíve just about got enough kneeroom under the dashboard, just about enough headroom under the roof. With a helmet on, my headís on the rooflining Ė just as it would be in an Exige.

The lacquered carbon tub speaks of rigidity and lightness before youíve even turned a wheel. Before I got here, I was thinking Alfa might have overpriced the car, but actually, is there anything else offering structural carbon like this for less than £50k? Answers on a postcard.

We approach the line. Davide buttons the paddleshift TCT box into manual mode and, as the flag drops, gives it the lot. Lordy Ė thereís plenty of torque.

Alfa wonít say how much just yet, but the whistling 237bhp turbo four snorts through the middle of the rev range with angry potency. Seems like it could rev out a bit more freely, but you canít argue with the performance level.

The rideís flat and calm; not stiff by any stretch. There is body movement but itís quickly, effortlessly controlled: that evident lack of mass and body stiffness presenting again. Should be a good compromise for the road. The steering looks direct but trustworthy. I grab it once weíre stationary again. Blimey, it is unassisted. Lighter than the wheel on an Elise, though.

If all goes according to plan, weíll have a 4C at our annual Britainís Best Driverís Car test this autumn. Hereís my prediction: weíll say the powertrain could be more special, but itíll finish top three anyway. This has all the hallmarks of a proper, real-world, reference sports car.

And as is readily apparent from the Goodwood reception, thereís a whole generation of buyers crying out for one of those from Alfa Romeo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa

Many many thanks for this first article , I Will continue to wait for my LE …dition confidently
Hope a great vidťo of Goodwood
AO Member

County: Florida
Good beginning. Thank you

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > 4C & 4C Spider

Tags
bloke , goodwood , half , kind , review , sat , shotgun

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page