Number plate location - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 34 Old 17-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Western Australia

Member car:

4C LE

Number plate location

Where is everyone going to put the numberplate? I don't want to destroy the front bumper by placing a dirty big plate there. Thinking of going custom and having the bare minimum (we can do two letters/numbers).

However am thinking about running the risk of not placing one on the front and seeing if the Police pick it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

daveb257

Number plate locations are dependent on how the car is homologated/type approved for each market, hopefully with low volume cars there may be a bit of common sense applied

deppi0

I was told 99% chances it will be on the left as per picture.

I will NOT put it on mine and I hope I can convince Alfa / dealer not to put the plastic "holder" on the bumper :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4c plate.jpg (271.2 KB, 54 views)

(Post Link) post #4 of 34 Old 17-04-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

4C LE

There isn't much room anywhere and regardless of where it goes has the propensity to really kill the lines of the car. Really love how they went for form over function there

Looking for creative (legal?) ideas. Maybe a sticker number plate for the front? I've seen a few of those on Ferrari's/Lambo's over here (Perth, Aust). Not sure about their legality, but I'm sure their owners treat the fines as a mere annoyance if they're not.
daveb257

In 40 years only one member of staff here has been nicked for no front plate on an American car, the issue is there's little understanding of the legalities of it,

Here in UK a plate has to be fitted within certain criteria, so if a plate is fitted outside that surely thats an offence as well?

We can have a Corvette go through SVA at local DVLA office with no plate and yet if you find a bobby with no grasp of legislation you could get a ticket driving off their car park!

CPE
AO Member

County: East Ayrshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb257 View Post
In 40 years only one member of staff here has been nicked for no front plate on an American car, the issue is there's little understanding of the legalities of it,

Here in UK a plate has to be fitted within certain criteria, so if a plate is fitted outside that surely thats an offence as well?

We can have a Corvette go through SVA at local DVLA office with no plate and yet if you find a bobby with no grasp of legislation you could get a ticket driving off their car park!

I'm going to take the risk and not put one on...
deppi0

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb257 View Post

I don't have one on my car at the moment and I got stopped a few times....given ticket once only though. This is over the course of 2 years of owning the car and living in London where you have cops all over the place.
Up to now they have mostly accepted my apology and explanation of the plate falling off or me forgetting to put it back on in the morning as I remove it at night as thieves can steal it very easily

AO Member

County: Gauteng
Personally, I would definitely not fit the front plate. I'd rather pay the fines!
daveb257

It's a lottery here,
In one day last August I got a fixed pen for no plate of a proper arsey plod, then later had a traffic car stop outside my house when I was parking up and the two guys doesn't 20 mins asking all about the car and taking each others pics in it, common factor is no front plate on either !

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366231932.172781.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366231953.436805.jpg

Actually I got a big thumbs up later when I passed a V70 traffic car at speed in an 8C with no plate either so a 66% success rate in one day

AO Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Alfa

Buy two plates and stick them over the lights
daveb257

Won't need to if they change the headlights surely ?

AO Member

County: Greater London
Quote:
Originally Posted by GV27 View Post
Buy two plates and stick them over the lights
This made me chuckle haha
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliber45 View Post
Maybe a sticker number plate for the front? I've seen a few of those on Ferrari's/Lambo's over here (Perth, Aust). Not sure about their legality, but I'm sure their owners treat the fines as a mere annoyance if they're not.
I am sure that won't be legal, but definitely will reduce the chances of being caught compared to no plate at all.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of room for a stick-on either unless you put it in the middle of the front cover. Wherever you put a plate it will spoil the lines - its not my call but I would risk running plate-less or leave one on the dashboard and say it has just fallen off. A bit of Blu-Tack would get you through any future MoT lol
AO Member

County: Torino

Member car:

MiTo, 8C Spider

This is the officially sanctioned location.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...frontplate.png

The mounting bracket is the same I was provided with for the 8C.

County: -

Member car:

VW CC 3.6

Italian plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGeek View Post
This is the officially sanctioned location.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...frontplate.png

The mounting bracket is the same I was provided with for the 8C.
I think for a very little italien plate that works acceptable.
A german Alfa official told me that his 8C clients don't use plates at front.
AO Member

Member car:

MiTo, 8C Spider

So do many italian 8C customers. But it's not legal. Mine has a front plate.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Mine won't wear a front plate.

Will apply for permission in SA not to have a front plate.

Else ill pay the fines if pulled over and fined for not having plates.
deppi0

As expected but thanks MacGeek.
If Alfa tries to install the plate on my car I will kill them!!!

I might get a fine once in a while but I will not put a plate on my car....

AO Member

Member car:

MiTo, 8C Spider

Not feasible in Italy. Not having a front plate means not only a fine ranging from 84 to 335 Eur, but also 3 months of "administrative lock": the car is kept in your possession, but you can't drive it.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGeek View Post
Not feasible in Italy. Not having a front plate means not only a fine ranging from 84 to 335 Eur, but also 3 months of "administrative lock": the car is kept in your possession, but you can't drive it.
That sucks...

In SA we will be slapped with Euro 50 - Euro 100 fine.. And off you go..
deppi0

Hi guys,

Although I will not put a front plate on my car on a daily basis....I still must have the possibility of "adding it on" especially if driving in France or if by chance I get stopped by cops a few times in a row ;-)
On a few other cars I have used this product (Plateclips - License plate mounts for your Ferrari without drilling any holes) which works perfectly well even at very high speed and takes about 10 seconds to put on....
I am trying to convince them to make a specific one for the 4C. Would anyone be interested?

In any case does anyone know or have a way to find out the size of the mesh holes in the front grille?

Thanks a lot

PS. The other option is to have one of these made (US Mill Works - Front License Plate Brackets) but they would need the thread size and length of the tow hook to make a specific one.

(Post Link) post #23 of 34 Old 03-09-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

4C LE

I would be interested.
CPE
AO Member

County: East Ayrshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliber45 View Post
I would be interested.
Me too, I'm interested. Let us know what you find out, thank you!
deppi0

Will do my best but if any of you manage to find the dimensions anywhere please let me know and I will deal with the suppliers.

My dealer in London barely knows anything about the 4C and sounds like he couldn't care less...Admittedly the original lady I dealt with there has left :-(

Maybe I will try to contact the Brand Manager and see if he can give us anything.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > 4C & 4C Spider

Tags
location , number , plate

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page