Are you excited about the Parrot audio? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 38 Old 14-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

MB

Are you excited about the Parrot audio?

It seems like the 4C is equipped with this Android based audio receiver. I have never use or have any hands on experience, but the reviews were average at best. It doesn't seem to have the capability of any useable navigation app as of yet and if it does in the future, it has a screen smaller than the iphone. Another deviation from the concept which is disappointing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Western Australia

Member car:

4C LE

Just use the Navigation system on your iPhone/iPad/Android device. At least the maps on those are kept up to date!
AO Silver Member

Just use a combination of a map book and road signs. It worked for your father and it'll work just fine for you.
AO Member

County: Torino

Member car:

MiTo, 8C Spider

Deviation from the concept? Seriously? Do tell us the wonders of the satnav on the concept, then. Oh right, it didn't even have one. The concept of the 4C is not about some silly infotainment system. The only audio I could care about is the one coming from behind the seats.

Last edited by MacGeek; 14-03-13 at 08:29.
AO Member

County: Greater London
Not really fussed by the car audio. Most standard systems are pretty poor anyway. I would upgrade it .
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire
I like the idea of handsfree bluetooth, but would probably install an aftermarket audio within 12 months, and I use my iPhone for navigation
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot
If its parrot, it'll work, unlike B & M which is rubbish!
AO Silver Member

County: Essex

Member car:

Mito 1.4 16v.

I've been reading about this and apparently it's pretty terrible.

Maps are there, but there is no turn-by-turn, the sound quality is mediocre (not a huge priority to some, but I'd still like it) and the Android is 6 generations old.
AO Member

County: Milano
Eyes and a sense of direction are great for finding your way around, and no matter the system Denon, Meridien, Amstrad, Bose or what ever a car isn't the best place to be a hifi afficianado I would imagine. Think back a few years all this connectivity didn't exist, were we the worse for it?
daveb257

some people are never going to be happy are they?
ever seen the the pictogram system in the 8C?
1021 pounds and that was hardly state of the art was it?

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Mito 1.4 16v.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambrate FS View Post
Eyes and a sense of direction are great for finding your way around, and no matter the system Denon, Meridien, Amstrad, Bose or what ever a car isn't the best place to be a hifi afficianado I would imagine. Think back a few years all this connectivity didn't exist, were we the worse for it?
I really don't like the first half of the argument.

What was the case 10 years ago is an irrelevance. Where does it end? Radio, disk brakes, seatbelts? Even if you are choosing not to keep up with the competition, employing a system which was receiving mediocre reviews in 2011 and has not progressed since is not a great start.

A few years ago, connectivity didn't exist. But neither did laws saying we weren't allowed to use mobile devices while driving. Also, I'd say yes, we were worse for it. Cars were cluttered with CDs (and before that, cassettes), which would easily be damaged. This has SD capability, which is great, but that's about it.

It is a minimum expectation customers have these days at the money. To be honest, I'd not have minded if they'd left it out, but to include something which is so poorly-received is a shame.

Also, who said anything about being a hi-fi afficionado? Having experienced good systems as well as bad, the difference is stark. Most of us listen to the radio/music, and so at the very least, employing something decent might have helped. Unless you're only expecting to drive the car short distances or hate listening to anything other than wind noise when driving.

There must be weight benefits over the Chrysler U-Connect?

Blue Mito, Tan leather. 'Nuff said!
(Post Link) post #12 of 38 Old 14-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb257 View Post
some people are never going to be happy are they?
ever seen the the pictogram system in the 8C?
1021 pounds and that was hardly state of the art was it?
I think expecting a car in 2013 to have a reasonable infotainment system is not unreasonable. Even though I don't think it's going to make or break it, I can't think of any car manufacturer that don't even offer GPS as an option.
AO Member

County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

Rosso/Tan GTV V6

I wouldn't care if it had a sat nav or not.

The head unit it has though looks like junk, and it's additionally junk that they've put it in an odd shaped hole.

They made the same mistake with the GTV.

A poor head unit is passable if the whole arrangement isn't ugly.
deppi0

Pity there is no sat nav in the unit. I hope brodit will make a holder for this car.
Totally agree that the biggest issue though is not the unit but the way it's fitted. Why didn't they make the opening really rectangular???

Last edited by deppi0; 15-03-13 at 08:38.

AO Member

I'm excited about the car being light weight. If it doesn't have too much heavy electronics that's good. If you can stream music from your phone over bluetooth that would be nice. If it doesn't have sat nav, you can use an external unit like a smartphone or tom tom.
deppi0

By the way does any of you know the best single din radio/navigation unit in the market? I think the first thing I will do is to replace this Parrot unit with a better unit with a pop up screen. It seems there are a lot of good ones in the market.

AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire
It's good that is seems like a single din so easier to swap out

I saw on that PDF that is floating about that the non launch model had Stero (OPT)
Does that mean it's optional? What does OPT mean?
AO Member

County: London

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

I've used the parrot system, Bluetooth features wise it's brilliant! But lacking a lot of features your expect from kept double din.

It does have access to a 'app store' so could be upgraded. However I would have though alfa would have put one of the newer parrot systems in, see asteroid smart.
AO Member

County: Torino

Member car:

MiTo, 8C Spider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris0288 View Post
I saw on that PDF that is floating about that the non launch model had Stero (OPT)
Does that mean it's optional? What does OPT mean?
OPT means optional. I've been told it's a no-cost option, so that you can do a radio delete if you do not want it, and that they're doing the same with A/C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchen View Post
However I would have though alfa would have put one of the newer parrot systems in, see asteroid smart.
That is a double-DIN unit, no space for that on the dash.

What I'd like them to offer is a smartphone dock in the DIN slot, similar to what Ferrari did on the Scuderia 16M.
deppi0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchen View Post
It does have access to a 'app store' so could be upgraded. However I would have though alfa would have put one of the newer parrot systems in, see asteroid smart.
The app store is terrible and there are barely any apps in there from what I have seen... This is the oldest and most basic of the Parrot systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGeek View Post
OPT means optional. I've been told it's a no-cost option, so that you can do a radio delete if you do not want it, and that they're doing the same with A/C.
There is a hi-fi option which costs 305 but I wonder if it is for this system or an upgraded one... Going to place my order tomorrow and will report back on this option.

Any thoughts on single din units with pop up screen?

AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGeek View Post

That is a double-DIN unit, no space for that on the dash.

What I'd like them to offer is a smartphone dock in the DIN slot, similar to what Ferrari did on the Scuderia 16M.
Seems a bit daft being a 'no-cost' option. Surely you would just take it anyway and then sell it if you didn't want it? lol
Would be good if it knocked a few off the car price. I'd probably want the stereo upgrade option but would be interesting to see what this is. Most likely just sub woofer and amp or something.
AO Member

County: Texas

Member car:

I would have preferred an option to delete the stereo, a/c, gps, etc. In these types of cars I'm very content to just listen to the engine.
deppi0

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstoy View Post
I would have preferred an option to delete the stereo, a/c, gps, etc. In these types of cars I'm very content to just listen to the engine.
In the "normal" versions the radio which is crap anyway is a no cost option....so you don't need to have it

A/C though is still there but you just don't use it although in Texas you might struggle without!

AO Member

County: Greater London
Quote:
Originally Posted by alstoy View Post
Listen to a 1.8? Understandable in a v6 alfa but i doubt this is going to howl..... But before i am burnt at the stake, i am NOT saying this is going to be a bad engine. It might just lack a bit of character
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Mito 1.4 16v.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanocirillo View Post
Listen to a 1.8? Understandable in a v6 alfa but i doubt this is going to howl..... But before i am burnt at the stake, i am NOT saying this is going to be a bad engine. It might just lack a bit of character
This is true, but my brother has a TT-S and it sounds plenty good; granted, it doesn't shriek like a 3.2 Busso does, but if he put a rorty exhaust on it, it would sound great.

If we consider that Alfas always sound better, and there'll be a sports exhaust option, then it isn't too ludicrous a statement.

Very few cars could touch that V6 alfa in terms of noise...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > 4C & 4C Spider

Tags
audio , excited , parrot

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page