Marchionne on the 4C - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Perreby

Marchionne on the 4C

"With all due respect to my American friends, it needs to be a Wop engine," he told a group of international media assembled in a conference room Monday during the first day of the Detroit auto show.

Marchionne, an Italian-Canadian, used the term to describe the engine for the 4C. Fiat also owns Italian brands Ferrari and Maserati, and he said Chrysler's engines wouldn't work for an Alfa sportcar.

The brand's much-anticipated return to the United States has been delayed as it struggles to get the powertrain and other elements of a future Alfa portfolio in order. The 4C has been delayed, though it is being tested in the United States.

"The car is not where it needs to be," he said. (Now that quote worries me)

And neither is the rest of Alfa.

"This undertaking to bring Alfa back is a one-shot deal," he said. "We're not going to change our mind. We're not going to do it twice. We're not going to execute it poorly."

Marchionne did not give a timeline for Alfa's return.

"We need to be ready for Alfa," he said. "We are not ready."

He then added: "Alfa Romeo is coming. There's not a single doubt."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

That's just plain odd!
Perreby

He further said: "is not where it needs to be before it comes to the US. We will continue to work on that car until we get it absolutely perfect for launch in the US" - referring of course too the 4C

AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

4C

source please
Perreby

Most of this was taken from Reuters...

Timetable for Alfa Romeo U.S. launch still unclear -Fiat CEO | Reuters

Fiat CEO speaks plainly

Now to me this smells like a further delay in the 4C! Do not be surprised if we do not see the car at Geneva! There must be serious issues with the car if SM is planning on delaying a 2014 sales start of the 4C in the US..

So unfortunately its not looking good right now for 4C fans.. Unless SM is blowing smoke in people's faces?

Last edited by Perreby; 15-01-13 at 06:46.

Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo
Thanks for the links, very interesting!
AO Silver Member

County: Antrim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perreby View Post
"With all due respect to my American friends, it needs to be a Wop engine," he told a group of international media assembled in a conference room Monday during the first day of the Detroit auto show.

Dare I ask what a Wop engine is?

Interesting comments and I'm surmising that SM is referring to Alfa as they are now and are waiting until the new models come on stream. I'm guessing no return to the USA until at least 2015.

They would be better saying nothing until they are certain of dates and model line-up. As far as the 4C is concerned, everyone is now anticipating a 2013 launch so any further delay is going to hurt Alfa IMHO.
Perreby

'Wop' is a slur/racial word that refers to Italian people. Basically told the Americans he will not be fitting American engines too the 4C

The journo's where shocked when he used the word 'Wop'.. One tried to take him on but he quipped 'Why are you surprised?' or something to that effect.. She kept quiet after he addressed her

He also said the 159 was a mistake and that it was 900pounds to heavy and the GM engine wasnt good enough.. Said Alfa wont make the same mistake with the next D-segment car!

But I suspect the 4C will be delayed based on SM's comments above

Futher info on Reuters:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...90D16J20130114

Last edited by Perreby; 15-01-13 at 08:15.

AO Member
MiTo Lounge Winner 09

County: -
Just sounds like typical Marchionne talk to me. I doubt anything has changed in the last 2 months. He doesn't say "delay" or "later" – it's just "not ready". We already knew it's not ready yet, also that the US launch won't happen before end of the year.

If you think about it, where's the use to launch a brand with only 1 car – and without dealerships set up? I'd start with at least 2 or 3 models, so that the 4C has real marketing impact on mass market models.
Perreby

Well if they planning on launching in Geneva in 2 months they better get working on it to make sure it is ready in 2months time..

As for AR to US.. That will probably only happen deep into 2014 to start 2015.

Interesting in the model list for next 4 years it showed one of the face lifted models will be exported to non EMEA. So perhaps that model will lead the charge with the 4C to the US as intro models (and then the D-segment, E-segment and SUV, 4C spider etc to follow)

AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
I was taken aback by the "wop engine" comment. Even if he is half-Italian. Not what you expect from the CEO of one of the world's larger companies.

I agree with him that the product has to be "right" this time, but increasingly worry that the desire for perfection (or an as yet unacknowledged inability to achieve it) is -or is certainly in danger of - resulting in a state of indolence and procrastination from which the company might never recover.
AO Silver Member

County: Antrim
Quote:
'Wop' is a slur/racial word that refers to Italian people. Basically told the Americans he will not be fitting American engines too the 4C

The journo's where shocked when he used the word 'Wop'.. One tried to take him on but he quipped 'Why are you surprised?' or something to that effect.. She kept quiet after he addressed her

He also said the 159 was a mistake and that it was 900pounds to heavy and the GM engine wasnt good enough.. Said Alfa wont make the same mistake with the next D-segment car!

But I suspect the 4C will be delayed based on SM's comments above

Futher info on Reuters:
Fiat-Chrysler CEO says Alfa Romeo needs a wop engine | Reuters
I was aware of the racial connotations which is why I thought it perhaps had another meaning in the context it was made.

I'm wondering if there has been something lost in translation with regard to the comments. SM wants the 4C to spearhead Alfa's return to the US but whilst the 4C will be (hopefully) in production later this year the rest of the 'range' isn't suitable.

I don't see why a production version of the 4C can't be at Geneva if it's only down to fine tuning suspension/handling setup. If they've a new engine and revised TCT transmission then that might be causing a few issues. We'll only know for sure when we see what happens (or even what doesn't happen) at Geneva.

Hard work never killed anyone.

That’s the trouble – I want to engage in something that has a little danger to it
AO Member
MiTo Lounge Winner 09

County: -
Quote:
Interesting in the model list for next 4 years it showed one of the face lifted models will be exported to non EMEA.
What does export out of Europe really mean in the FGA presentations? AFAIK both Mito and Giulietta get exported to destinations like Japan, South Africa, Australia etc. already…
Perreby

Talking about exporting to outside EMEA (which includes South Africa). So face lift of one model is going to another region. Perhaps Asia Pacific.. But why not both.. Interesting...

But back to the 4C... Let's hope SM was lost in translation and he meant the 4C was not ready for Detroit

Last edited by Perreby; 15-01-13 at 12:14.

Global Mod Team

Buddy of mine has seen some 4Cs being built in Modena, so I don't think there will be a massive delay (perhaps any delay may only relate to to the US market)
Perreby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
Buddy of mine has seen some 4Cs being built in Modena, so I don't think there will be a massive delay (perhaps any delay may only relate to to the US market)
Yes but this raises the next issue.. Will the US 4C be different to the one sold in the rest of the world? If so thats BS

Abarth for example has the old T-jet engine yet in the USA they have the 1.4MultiAir.. So the US clients are better off than the rest of the world. So is this gonna be the case for the 4C too? I hope not!

Imagine they get the new 1750TBi engine and the EMEA get the current 1750TBi engine

Global Mod Team

Fair point, that could be a possibility though I am sure the vehicle's price may be different as they might target different buyers.
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

4C

and i was about to get flights for geneva! i hope i'll get to use the 3 day flight spot i left open for the "possible" launch
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire
just posted about a call from Alfa UK (received today) in other thread where they confirm UK orders taken 2013, unveiling of production vehicle in Geneva this March, confirm RHD version available in UK, and order process details 'soon'.

It is pretty clear from the Link Above that Sergio is only talking about US releases, and the Geneva launch is a separate issue

US will need specific suspension, engine management, CO2 management, safety, labeling, etc etc - and, as noted above, the model is pointless in the USA without a brand and other vehicles to promote. There is also no dealer network to speak of in the USA now. At a guess a delay in the USA is the smart move.

DavidJWBailey
AO Member

County: Torino

Member car:

MiTo, 8C Spider

Correct.

I'll sum it up in three words.

Do. Not. Panic.

(yes, there's a lot of misinterpretation flying around in the media right now)
Perreby

Yes the States need different setups for their cars, all I am worried about is that the US might end up with a better car than we end up with

AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Yes the States need different setups for their cars, all I am worried about is that the US might end up with a better car than we end up with
meh - they will still have to drive it on sh*tty roads
Perreby

Come to SA and see ****ty roads...

Giulietta hit 3 potholes already... Burst tyres and buckled mags on all 3 occasions...

AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Larnaca
We need to see less talking and more results

Perreby

So now Sergio is saying the 4C is ready and will be in the US before the end of 2013..

So expect RHD markets to take a back seat while Alfa Romeo focusses on building LHD cars to focus on the US market...

Guess South Africa will only see this car deep into Q1:2014

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > 4C & 4C Spider

Tags
marchionne

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page