Clocked mileage 4C question - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By alfaromeo939s
  • 1 Post By jwq
  • 1 Post By AnthonyJohn

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 12-11-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Worcestershire
Clocked mileage 4C question

Hi there,

I’m looking at purchasing a 2014 4C which is stated as having 14,000 miles from new, however it’s stating that this milage is incorrect.

Last service says 34k in 2017 but I have no idea how many miles it’s done in the last year so don’t know if it’s on 40k+miles

I’m abit worried at why it may have been clocked and if so how and how to return it to the original milage?

Also what to look it for on a 4C that has done potentially 40,000 miles and what likely costs I will have if I buy it?

(It’s auction so I can’t get any history on it or more information) so it’s a risk

The mot states that in 2016 it was on 11,000 and 2017 14,000 miles

Thanks in advance
AnthonyJohn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaromeo939s View Post
Hi there,

I’m looking at purchasing a 2014 4C which is stated as having 14,000 miles from new, however it’s stating that this milage is incorrect.

Last service says 34k in 2017 but I have no idea how many miles it’s done in the last year so don’t know if it’s on 40k+miles

I’m abit worried at why it may have been clocked and if so how and how to return it to the original milage?

Also what to look it for on a 4C that has done potentially 40,000 miles and what likely costs I will have if I buy it?

(It’s auction so I can’t get any history on it or more information) so it’s a risk

The mot states that in 2016 it was on 11,000 and 2017 14,000 miles

Thanks in advance
Walk away!!! better to lose a good one than buy a rogue
(Post Link) post #3 of 10 Old 12-11-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Very true, however it may be £25k cheaper than anyone for sale which I can’t afford to pay full price for one

I rebuilt my s-v6 and will be selling my 3 brera’s If I bought this one
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
It might not have just been clocked.

It could be a ringer or have other nasty hidden secrets.

Cars like this are targeted by criminals due to their high value and I would avoid it even with your largest bargepole.
(Post Link) post #5 of 10 Old 12-11-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

It’s not stolen, it’s all HPI clear and all looks okay on paper apart from the milage discrepancy. However the mot seems to be consistent but not service histroy, I don’t know if there’s a possibility that the incorrect milage was put in

I will find out more information

It’s 1 owner from new
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex
Quote:
Itís not stolen, itís all HPI clear and all looks okay on paper apart from the milage discrepancy. However the mot seems to be consistent but not service histroy, I donít know if thereís a possibility that the incorrect milage was put in

Itís 1 owner from new
Drop me an email and i'll look into it for you. [email protected]
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 857
County: Zuid Holland
Garage
In theory you can use f.i. MES (MultiEcuScan) to read the mileage from the ECU via OBD. The car stores the odometer value in 2 independant locations, the dash odometer and the ECU.
Could be the dash odometer has been (incorrectly ? ) replaced in the past... You can set the value in the dash odometer, but only by increasing the displayed value, decreasing is not possible.
ItsMeMarty likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
It could just refer to the interval times. My 2014 4C has only done 10,500 miles but has service stamps in the higher mileage 'interval' boxes to show the work has been done due to elapsed time rather than miles covered.
147Alfaguy likes this.
AO Member

County: New South Wales
Quote:
It’s not stolen, it’s all HPI clear and all looks okay on paper apart from the milage discrepancy. However the mot seems to be consistent but not service histroy, I don’t know if there’s a possibility that the incorrect milage was put in

It’s 1 owner from new
How did you get on with this? To identify a higher mileage car have a look at the paint chipping on the bottom of the wheel arches and underside of the sills (or easewhere for that matter). Even with a wrap large stone hits will get through, especially where it cops a peppering at the bottom rear of each wheel arch. If it hasn’t been repainted it’ll look pretty tatty. Mine’s done almost 20,000km now and I’ve hand painted over the chips there. Easy to check oil condition on the dipstick and the small ground effect generated sucks up a whole lot of debris into the engine compartment. Take off the engine cover and have a good look at the shelf in front of the engine (just behind the rear partition window). If both areas haven’t been cleaned they’ll be caked in dust and debris. If you’re serious about the car, without question, I’d get it inspected. Sorry I’m a late to the conversation.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Are they definitely saying it's clocked? Or is it possible that they're saying the speedo unit has had to be replaced, and this has messed up the mileage reading?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > 4C & 4C Spider

Tags
clocked , mileage , question

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page