squeaking - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 29-12-17 Thread Starter

County: -Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

4C Spider

squeaking

I have a 4c spider, getting a squeaking when turning from what I thought was the carbon fibre **** pit but it could be coming from the steering (wishbones) or the suspension. Its in for its 1st service at the moment any ideas of how/what to rectify?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -

Member car:

4C

Dave , I don't know the answer but try asking your question at the 4c forums, as well. There are a lot more owners there.

County: Lancashire
squeaking

Hi Dave,
My 4C, now just out of warranty, developed very annoying squeaking from front left suspension about 9 months ago. Local Alfa dealer not able to trace the problem, but I suspect they didn't try too hard.
Eventually spoke to the guys at Alfa Workshop in Royston who confirmed that they had the same problem with their car and a small number of customers' cars. The problem appears to be the compound of the bushes and was solved by replacing the lower wishbone. I've yet to get this done, but it looks like the only option!
(Post Link) post #4 of 9 Old 08-01-18 Thread Starter

Garage

Member car:

4C Spider

Quote:
Originally Posted by highleabarn View Post
Hi Dave,
My 4C, now just out of warranty, developed very annoying squeaking from front left suspension about 9 months ago. Local Alfa dealer not able to trace the problem, but I suspect they didn't try too hard.
Eventually spoke to the guys at Alfa Workshop in Royston who confirmed that they had the same problem with their car and a small number of customers' cars. The problem appears to be the compound of the bushes and was solved by replacing the lower wishbone. I've yet to get this done, but it looks like the only option!
Thanks for the info, had the car back from its 1st service but it has to go back in to get the Offside front bottom arm "creaking part" replaced. The part is special order at a cost of 461.88 including fitting. I am sure this should be under warranty as its less than or within 12 months old. I have a feeling will have to argue this point with the dealer as I have agreed the work.
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex
That wishbone should definitely be covered under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1838 View Post
Thanks for the info, had the car back from its 1st service but it has to go back in to get the Offside front bottom arm "creaking part" replaced. The part is special order at a cost of 461.88 including fitting. I am sure this should be under warranty as its less than or within 12 months old. I have a feeling will have to argue this point with the dealer as I have agreed the work.
It's good that your dealer has identified the problem; you've done better than I did.
I have my replacement wishbone arriving today! Interestingly I discovered some upward lift in the bottom ball joint, not picked up by any of the inspections. As the ball joint is an integral part of the wishbone this should fix both problems.
It would be worth contacting your garage to confirm that the replacement will be done under warranty, if they quibble, contact Alf4care who should set up a 'case' number and contact your garage; I assume the garage is an Alfa main dealer?
Cheers
Andrew
(Post Link) post #7 of 9 Old 24-01-18 Thread Starter

Garage

Member car:

4C Spider

Quote:
It's good that your dealer has identified the problem; you've done better than I did.
I have my replacement wishbone arriving today! Interestingly I discovered some upward lift in the bottom ball joint, not picked up by any of the inspections. As the ball joint is an integral part of the wishbone this should fix both problems.
It would be worth contacting your garage to confirm that the replacement will be done under warranty, if they quibble, contact Alf4care who should set up a 'case' number and contact your garage; I assume the garage is an Alfa main dealer?
Cheers
Andrew
Had the Offside front bottom arm replaced, what a difference no more squeaking and the steering feels lighter and I find that I am not fighting with the steering at all now. Great stuff well done Mangoletsi`s of Knutsford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1838 View Post
Had the Offside front bottom arm replaced, what a difference no more squeaking and the steering feels lighter and I find that I am not fighting with the steering at all now. Great stuff well done Mangoletsi`s of Knutsford.
That's a really good result. I changed the bottom wishbone on mine, better, but still a squeak/creak coming from somewhere on the front suspension. May now be the nearside wishbone, or the roll bar bushes!!
(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 25-01-18 Thread Starter

Garage

Member car:

4C Spider

Quote:
That's a really good result. I changed the bottom wishbone on mine, better, but still a squeak/creak coming from somewhere on the front suspension. May now be the nearside wishbone, or the roll bar bushes!!
Under warranty as well. Don't know exactly how they pinpointed the squeaking though. Like you said could be coming from any part of the wishbones.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > 4C & 4C Spider

Tags
squeaking

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page