Oil rip off - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 27-07-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Milano
Oil rip off

Just had the 2nd service performed at a touch over 7k miles, I'd forgotten the Oil only comes in 5litre bottles and the engine needs 5.8 at service, I now have enough oil to cover the 3rd service, thanks Petronas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
I hardly think that having 4 litres of spare oil for your 50,000 Italian sports car is a rip off !!!!
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 27-07-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJohn View Post
I hardly think that having 4 litres of spare oil for your 50,000 Italian sports car is a rip off !!!!
I've now got 8.5 liters, can't accept they won't sell it in 1 litre containers.
AO Member

County: New South Wales
I've been using Pennzoil Euro Platinum 5W40. I buy it by the carton. You get six 1 litre bottles in each box. It's convenient to keep the leftover oil in the boot. I only costs $80AU as opposed to $120+ for Selenia charged by the dealer.
(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 30-07-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFAGUY147 View Post
I've been using Pennzoil Euro Platinum 5W40. I buy it by the carton. You get six 1 litre bottles in each box. It's convenient to keep the leftover oil in the boot. I only costs $80AU as opposed to $120+ for Selenia charged by the dealer.
A litre bottle in the boot for topping up if you go on a trip, just completed 900 miles in the last weekend wouldn't want to cart a five litre bottle or have to decant it. I see a pattern developing my sons 500 Abarth takes 2.9 liters but the oil only comes in 2 litre cans, not as much an inconvenience obviously.
AO Member

County: Central London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambrate FS View Post
Just had the 2nd service performed at a touch over 7k miles, I'd forgotten the Oil only comes in 5litre bottles and the engine needs 5.8 at service, I now have enough oil to cover the 3rd service, thanks Petronas.
Sounds like Petronas is more into volume than money then.

In my oil company I introduce 5L first (when new product) and then 1L to follow about a year or two later when the vehicle parc picks up and volume starts.
Workshops use 5L at first because when a new oil is released the price is high (it's high because the additive packs coming from the additives suppliers used are high) and cars using the new oil can be few and far between for a while. No point in investing 600 on a newly released oil barrel and sit on it for 12 months when you could do 5L packs for just in time delivery when you need it.

5L pack sizes are the industry standard for DIY (which is becoming less and less important as less and less people do any work on their own cars these days) and 20L, 60L, 199L packs are becoming more and more popular as workshops gain more and more customers.

Petronas is silly for not having a 1L version as the smaller pack sizes have the most margin in it, but then it's harder to get the higher volumes (which then brings in economies of scale from their production end)...
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Putting about 5ltrs into a car at change is not uncommon, so what are these packs people sell at 4ltrs? you have to buy 8ltrs to get the 5ltrs if you choose that product.
(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 02-08-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06gt View Post
Sounds like Petronas is more into volume than money then.

In my oil company I introduce 5L first (when new product) and then 1L to follow about a year or two later when the vehicle parc picks up and volume starts.
Workshops use 5L at first because when a new oil is released the price is high (it's high because the additive packs coming from the additives suppliers used are high) and cars using the new oil can be few and far between for a while. No point in investing 600 on a newly released oil barrel and sit on it for 12 months when you could do 5L packs for just in time delivery when you need it.

5L pack sizes are the industry standard for DIY (which is becoming less and less important as less and less people do any work on their own cars these days) and 20L, 60L, 199L packs are becoming more and more popular as workshops gain more and more customers.

Petronas is silly for not having a 1L version as the smaller pack sizes have the most margin in it, but then it's harder to get the higher volumes (which then brings in economies of scale from their production end)...
Just picked up a new Giulia, 0w20 available in 1 litre as is the stuff for the multi air motor, at end of the day just inconvenient if it only comes in 5 litres.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > 4C & 4C Spider

Tags
oil , rip

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page