4c Test Drive - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ALFAGUY147

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 20-08-16 Thread Starter

County: -
Cool 4c Test Drive

I recently took a test drive in a 4c Coupe.

Whilst on the test drive I asked about the drone from the exhaust and also about the twitchy steering and that AlfaWorks do modifications to 4c's to cure this.

He assured me that Alfa have learnt from their mistakes and that these issues - along with a few others had now being sorted on 2016 cars.

Is this correct or just salesman talk?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Pretty sure it's salesman talk. I'm reliably informed Alfa UK were up for the steering modifications, but those in Italy weren't - can only think it would have dented their pride. Over on 4C forums a guy has bought a new Spider from an Alfa dealer that recogises the issues and are doing the Alfa workshop mods (steering and exhaust) as part of the deal.
AO Gold Member

County: Kent
I know they are now offering an option of 2 different exhausts.

I genuinely bow to the Alfa Workshops knowledge but i have to say, i spent some time driving both the Spider and Coupe on a test day and never noticed any steering or handling issues.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
SFO

for no drone, get standard and not sport exhaust

for less steering tugging and camber sniffing, chose 17/18" wheels and standard (i.e. non racing) suspension
AO Member

County: New South Wales
Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshLaw View Post
I recently took a test drive in a 4c Coupe.

Whilst on the test drive I asked about the drone from the exhaust and also about the twitchy steering and that AlfaWorks do modifications to 4c's to cure this.

He assured me that Alfa have learnt from their mistakes and that these issues - along with a few others had now being sorted on 2016 cars.

Is this correct or just salesman talk?
Hi AshLaw, I have a 2016 4C Coupe. The steering is lively. It kicks back over bumps but I see it as personality. The criticism seems exaggerated by those used to inert electric power steering. I ride motorcycles and it's very much like the flick of the handlebars you experience when you hit a bump when cranked over in a turn. For some it may terrify but those types I don't think should be riding. I have the 17/18 inch wheels with standard suspension too.
As for the drone, I have Jamie's Helmholtz exhaust and it's brilliant. No drone, just a beautiful crisp note and it retains the brap (some say farts) when up shifting. The carbon tips are a nice touch too. Highly recommended. I've done several trips of 4 straight hours at highway speeds and the exhaust note is a wonderful accompaniment to the drive, not an overbearing headache. I have hardly used the radio in 6 months of ownership, the exhaust/engine sounds are so entertaining. Hope this helps.
gralegav likes this.

Last edited by ALFAGUY147; 25-09-16 at 09:51.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFO View Post
for no drone, get standard and not sport exhaust

for less steering tugging and camber sniffing, chose 17/18" wheels and standard (i.e. non racing) suspension
Mine has the race suspension, but I test drove a standard suspension before I bought it and it even felt worse. Both had the 18/19" wheels.
Meanwhile I'm very used to the steering, but one day I will test at Jamie's and then maybe upgrade my 4C.
(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 26-09-16 Thread Starter

Lively Steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFAGUY147 View Post
Hi AshLaw, I have a 2016 4C Coupe. The steering is lively. It kicks back over bumps but I see it as personality. The criticism seems exaggerated by those used to inert electric power steering. I ride motorcycles and it's very much like the flick of the handlebars you experience when you hit a bump when cranked over in a turn. For some it may terrify but those types I don't think should be riding. I have the 17/18 inch wheels with standard suspension too.
As for the drone, I have Jamie's Helmholtz exhaust and it's brilliant. No drone, just a beautiful crisp note and it retains the brap (some say farts) when up shifting. The carbon tips are a nice touch too. Highly recommended. I've done several trips of 4 straight hours at highway speeds and the exhaust note is a wonderful accompaniment to the drive, not an overbearing headache. I have hardly used the radio in 6 months of ownership, the exhaust/engine sounds are so entertaining. Hope this helps.
I don't want lively steering on any car.

I live in Kent and the roads around here have got to be the worst and the last thing you want is a lively front end on a car like the 4c.
AO Member

County: New South Wales
Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshLaw View Post
I don't want lively steering on any car.

I live in Kent and the roads around here have got to be the worst and the last thing you want is a lively front end on a car like the 4c.
In Kent, from my experience driving there, you have narrow lanes bordered by stone walls so I understand your feelings about lively steering. Most roads here are much more open. By all accounts Jamie's blocks dispense with the liveliness, so there's no excuse...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > 4C & 4C Spider

Tags
drive , test

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page