Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Right side indicator having a freak out each morning

563 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  David P 
#1 ·
Hi all.
I have noticed since last Friday morning is when I start up the car in the morning and indicate right to pull out that that it flashes at twice the speed and then gives me bulb failure on the dashboard. Then weirdly once I get on the road the bulb failure goes from the dashboard and it seems to work perfectly. Any ideas folks?

Pete

#2 ·
You drive an Alfa.. she is trying to tell you something... did you look at another car recently? :) Anything of Germanic origin will annoy the hell of out an Alfa... :D

When the dash light flashes twice the speed it's a warning that one of the amber bulbs (outside the car) is blown.

The fact it cure's itself points to an intermittent connection on one of the outside bulbs.. I'm afraid you're going to have to remove the front, back and side bulbs (on the offending side) and clean the contacts in the connector housing and on the bulbs it self. You might notice some corrosion on the bulb connector or even some signs of 'arcing' in there.. either way contact spray will clean out the crap... and you might have to use some fine sandpaper or (wife's/girlfriend's emery board) to remove the tough stuff to get back to bare metal. up to now the vibration of the car driving on the road is 'fixing' the problem.. but long term it will/may burn out the connector (in my limited experience).

EDIT: get someone to hit the brake lights.. check the rear right cluster.. are ALL the lights illuminating at half strength? if so there may be a loose ground connection in there..

#3 ·
Just a additional note I think the 'bulb knackered' warning light only stays on around 10/15 seconds anyway - that's normal function...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.