Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Is it "normal" for a 2.0 TS to run cool?

Tags
cool normal run
984 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  itsNotskywalker 
#1 ·
My '02 147 2.0 Twin Spark is running very cool, and it's winter over here in NZ which is just compounding the issue.
The temperature never goes above 90C but it does drop at speed. In the recent cold snap, about 1C outside, it dropped to just above 50C.

I've had a couple of quotes for replacement, not cheap. However I have just had an e-mail from the main Alfa service centre in Auckland who tell me that it is quite normal. This surprises me somewhat. Especially as they could get another hours labour on the bill.

Are they right? Is this nothing to be worried about in the 2.0 TS? Any help is appreciated because right now I'm pretty confused. And if I don't have to spend $200 - $300 I'm not going to.

#2 ·
its common ... but not normal, sounds like your stat is dead, they cost about £30 for a TS and take about 10 mins to fit ...

#3 ·
I didn't think it would be normal. Annoyingly parts are quite a bit more expensive over here. I've been quoted $220 + tax (£95) for the part from the main dealer.
I did see MPHs guide to changing the thermostat,
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/engi...-a-thermostat-on-a-twinspark.html#post1697678
It doesn't look too complicated so I'll probably do it myself. Think I better start shopping around for the part though.

#4 ·
I didn't think it would be normal. Annoyingly parts are quite a bit more expensive over here. I've been quoted $220 + tax (£95) for the part from the main dealer.
I did see MPHs guide to changing the thermostat,
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/engi...-a-thermostat-on-a-twinspark.html#post1697678
It doesn't look too complicated so I'll probably do it myself. Think I better start shopping around for the part though.
couldn't you get it shipped over from the UK ... ebspares deliver all over the world I think ...

#5 ·
send an e-mail to steve@alternativeautos.demon.co.uk

he'll gladly ship one to you
also supply him with last 8 digit sof VIN to be certain of getting the right one.

its approx 30 min's work, you'll need a few jubilee clips [ different sizes ] & 2 litres of coolant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.