Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Best polish for brush scratches?

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Ralf S. 
#1 ·
Hi folks ive done loads a searching for a definative answer. The person who had my car before me washed it using a brush like at the supermarkets so it looks like its lived in a car wash, obviously not cos of the fin on the back.
Ive tryed tcut,autoflym paint restorer,scratchX,mer,colour magic(think thats what its called) and nothing seems to do the job. spoke to a profesional detailer and all he wanted to do was flog me his own stuff. He mentioned nano polish?
Dont want to spend mega bucks just car shop prices or a little more.
:confused:

#2 ·
You can get polish with nano particles in it which lightly cut the finish and break down as you go getting finer and finer. The theory is that you start with a relatively abrasive polish which cuts the worst of the scrathes out but then it gradually turns in to a less abrasive polish thereby removing light scratches and swirls. Never tried them myself as I try to steer clear of anything that will cut the finish. I just use Super resin polish or Meguirs paint cleaner followed by Meguirs polish (and wax) which have fillers in them to fill the scratches. I'm sure there'll be someone else up on here with a good suggestion.

#3 ·
You could try the T Cut colour stuff or something like AG's paint restorer / Megs Scratch X but if it's that bad, perhaps get a good valeter on the case;)

#6 ·
You need a polish with plenty of fillers in it to mask the scratches, the only way to remove them properly is a machine polish but then as you say it's gonna cost. I would use Autoglym Super Resin Polish as it contains a lot of fillers, plenty of elbow grease and then a wax to seal in the fillers and maintain the finish. I would also consider claying the car first as this will make the polishing stage a lot easier. Best of luck.

#11 ·
Natty Blue... that'll do! :thumbs:

What you can try, after you polished it a bit, is a glaze. These are essentially just "filler". I bought some Poorboys "Black Hole" glaze and I didn't try it yet.. but the previous one I had (the white version .. for lighter cars) did a good job on Titch, the Younger Mrs S' Cinquencento. "Black Hole" is just the same stuff but for darker cars.

Then wax on the top to keep the fillers in place!

Ralf S.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.