Alfa Romeo Forum - View Single Post - Integrating original Mic into new HU - Investigation & Implementation
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
View Single Post
(Post Link) post #1 of Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter
Marmo

County: UK

Member car:

159 Ti 2.4l JTDM

Integrating original Mic into new HU - Investigation & Implementation

Hi all,

Like many of you, I've purchased a new double din HU to replace the OEM radio currently installed in my 159.

To make the system look a lot more professional, I would rather use the existing Mic that is used within the B&M system, rather than installing the one that came with the HU and routing that through.

Most threads on here I've seen state it can't be done. At least not easily!

So I've decided to start an investigation to try and see if it can be done and then give a detailed installation guide.

The plan so far:

1. Remove Mic from central cluster and analysis the Mic output using an oscilloscope (I'm an Electronic Engineer by trade).

2. Reposition the Mic to the right side of the cluster, hopefully improving sound quality.

3. Establish the pins for the Mic input signal to the B&M unit.

4. Splice into said Mic signal wires and analysis signal (again with an oscilloscope)

5. Assuming all is good, design a cable to tap into the Mic signal and input into the new HU.

I won't be covering installation of the HU unless asked. There are plenty of threads on this topic.

Looking forward to posting my results!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome