Alfa Romeo Forum - View Single Post - Alfa Romeo 156 v6 2.5 when should the fans work
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
View Single Post
Henrik_45
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Aalborg
Garage
I have checked the workshop manual and it is not mentioned anywhere at which temperature level the low speed and high speed should kick in.

As the 97C kick in for low speed you mention is reported by the Engine ECU it can't be a temperature sensor problem.
The temperature sender is just a NTC resistor (NTC stands for Negative Temperature Coefficient)
The resistor decreases with higher temperature and the Engine ECU just measure the resistance and use a look-up table to convert the resistance to a temperature.
A certain resistance corresponds to a certain temperature

So it seems the software in your Engine ECU is set to enable the low speed fan when the Engine ECU measure 97C cooling water temperature.

As the temperature sender includes a second NTC resistor for the gauge there can be a mismatch between the temperature reported by the Engine ECU and the temperature shown on the gauge.

I can try on my own 2.5 V6 to see at which temperature level the low speed kicks in.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome