Alfa Romeo Forum - View Single Post - Bought me a MiTo
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
View Single Post
(Post Link) post #6 of Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Artermis1

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaffen View Post
Fingers crossed the gearbox nice and quiet? If you don't have any service information it's worth looking at changing the gearbox oil (and pick a good quality replacement oil) to try help mitigate the risk of premature bearing wear!
Thankfully yes, gearbox is fine. An oil change isn't a bad shout all the same! My 159 had the M32 box I believe, so I've heard all about the infamous end bearings previously, although it didn't give me any bother in the 159. My brother had a Corsa VXR with M32, had a complete replacement gearbox under warranty as it ate it.

I think she's been fairly well cared for by someone at some point, it's nice and clean and MOT history looks fairly reasonable, mostly just tyre issues and a broken spring I think. It's just got to that point in a car's age where it needs a bit of TLC. I'm guessing previous owner had an unlucky bump in it, which is what damaged bumper and headlight, so traded it in. The dealer picked it up at auction and sold it on to me.

So the bumper was a predictable nightmare. One of the wing bolts and several of the underside bolts have spun their riv-nuts. Up shot is that it wasn't possible to get the bumper off. I did manage to undo enough things to get enough room to get the headlamp unit out, probably because it was so smashed!

Still, the new one is more secure and fitted now, at least it has 3 mounting points on it. So chalk 1 job off the list, the broken headlight is replaced, but add a new job to the list... I now need to drill out and remove the bumper and replace / repair the bumper riv-nuts and mounts. I also need to do something to better secure the bumper where it meets the wing, as the corner wants to stick out where whatever was there is broken on the side that's been bumped. It's going to be a job but will get there. Couldn't look into it today as got called away to work, bloody employee called in sick.

Hopefully one of the upcoming bank holidays, some dremel bits and a few sets of drill bits will see it right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190414_161314.jpg (76.8 KB, 10 views)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome