Alfa Romeo Forum - View Single Post - New cars and their autobox settings
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
View Single Post
(Post Link) post #8 of Old 02-03-19 Thread Starter
Scudetto
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
Millions of people also grew up with 4 or 5 speeds on their manual gearboxes. Most cars now have at least 6 gears.

Things change or evolve. Often for the better, sometimes for the worse.
agree 100%, bud. But the fundamental principles - the grounding - should always be the same, before we zoom off in other untrained directions.

No one should ever get into a car, look at its shift lever and think 'cripes'. It must be intuitive, and I'm not sure the static-placed lever to select R P->N D is all that intuitive.

Because when it comes to the base principles of moving forward or moving backwards, you should not have to ditch soundly established shift patterns to relearn new ones.

As an aside... from a manufacturer's perspective, what's the downer on having a column stalk that adheres to the principles of PRND? They did it for years and years, years ago. You still free up centre console space for coffee cups, and you stick with the auto format most folks are familiar with. Why not go back to a physical mounted column that slots into the well-known PRND notches that you want the car to travel in?

Their brains are bigger than mine, alas

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.

Last edited by Scudetto; 02-03-19 at 22:28.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome