Alfa Romeo Forum - View Single Post - Clarkson's 25 favourite cars
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
View Single Post
Ferryman_1957

Re: Clarkson's 25 favourite cars

I'm afraid most journalists start off knowing nothing about their subject. They start as "journalists" writing for anything and everything and then tend to specialize as they get older and more experienced. They know a lot about a subject area but that's only because they have been writing about it for years - they never started out as automotive engineers or fashion designers or MPs or whatever. They aren't paid very well and that's why you don't get "experts" becoming journalists (they couldn't afford the drop in salary). Folks like Clarkson amass many years of writing about a subject which makes them better qualified than other journalists to write about their chosen subject. The problem is that experts generally don't make good journalists and presenters, because they aren't trained to write and present.

There are of course a few exceptions, but I'm afraid I reallly enjoy Clarkson's journalism and I also respect his views. He does go "off on one" at times just to be controversial but the prose in kanerz's post above summarizes exactly why I love Alfas so much. And beautifully put as well.

Cheers,

Nigel

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome