Alfa Romeo Forum - View Single Post - Solved-Spider roof fault
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
View Single Post
yerbamateo
AO Member

County: -
Red Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_The_Spider View Post
It's weird I have a 2007 Spider and never had this problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lussoman View Post
You must have a collector's item. Keep hold of it!
Absolutely! I've seen many Spiders, before getting mine (well, wife's actually, I'm just a handyman and ocasional driver ) and all of them had silver rollover hoops damaged, or scratched, or glued...
You can quite easily remove the gas springs, get one of the lower ones, and try to squeeze it in your hands. 200N is quite a lot, and squeezing a new one is very, very hard. Or rather, imposible with bare hands.
To move swiftly heavy rear window across the hoops is a carefully orchestrated effort of all four gas springs, two coil springs that keep upper corners and elastic strap that runs along the window. All those elements loose strength over time, and with minimal distance to the hoop it makes the window to sag and fall in the groove on the hoop.

And the second issue, popping corner - when you close the hood, the hydraulic cylinder on the fifth arc exerts sufficient force to close, but once it's over, hydraulic pressure drops, and if the gas spring doesn't hold, rubber buffer on the over-centre pops the strut back, sometimes alone, sometimes due to vibrations during ride. In some cases, depending on where the Hall sensor is on the hydraulic cylinder, it may cause "Hood not closed" message.

Moving the Hall sensors around is what most Alfa dealers charge as "roof adjustment". Actually, the roof has very few adjustable parts - mostly locks, and main anchor points, which are rarely out of adjustment.
It's a reliable German construction, by Webasto, used also in 3-series beemer and in slightly different version on other cars.

//Mateo

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome