Alfa Romeo Forum banner

White G paint maintenance

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  gpscorpion 
#1 ·
hello all,

Does anyone know how to remove this rough surface from the paint and also how to remove foreign objects from paint? There are red stains on the door of my G and very small red dots all over the car (I don't know if its paint or something else) that cannot be removed with car wash. I don't know what other damage may be occurred on the paint if I use a chemical.

I want to restore the paint in order to look like new again but I don't want to go to pros and pay much money. My G is white.

Thank you in advance.

#4 ·
You need to use a clay bar, will remove the contaminants from the paintwork without causing damage as long as its used properly - had my brother in law doing this the other night for the first time on his Honda FRV, its not difficult, but there is a way of using the clay bar kit. There will be many tutorials online. After using this, use something like Autoglym Super Resin Polish and you will end up with a show room shine for about 4hrs work max. Top off with a sealant and it will keep it looking like that for up to 6 months with just washing easily.

#9 · (Edited)
1) wash - Autoglym shampoo with a soft wash mitt with bucket complete with grit guard in the bottom.
2) Dry - I would remove this stage - your going to get it wet again with the iron remover.
3) Remove Tar and Iron - unless the car is really tarred up, you can remove tar with clay bar. For the fact your saying the spots are red, the iron remover is probably worth a go. Angelwax Revelation is a good one as its PH neutral and ive done 3 cars with this with no bad side effects, just make sure it doesn't dry on the bodywork, spray on, agitate with a sponge and wash off.
4) Rinse - does need to be washed with shampoo, its easier to see what your doing with the clay bar with proper clean paintwork
5) Dry
5) Clay - main thing here is to use plenty of lube with the clay here, too dry and you cause scratches (or as its called marring). I use Dodo Juice Born Slippy Lube, 500ml should easily do the car. I used a clay bar from Auto Finesse, a big 200g fine bar, plenty! Use the fine bar, not the coarse, your less likely to do damage. Break the clay bar into about 6 pieces, if you drop abit on the floor, throw it away and don't use it! Make sure you fold the piece of clay your using regularly, this keeps it clean and the contaminants away from your paintwork. If the clay gets very mucky, throw it away and use another piece.
6) Rinse - This needs to be wash with shampoo
7) Dry
8) Polish - use Autoglym Super Resin Polish, don't use the wax on/wax off you often see, polish in straight up and down/side to side - its easier to see swirl marks if you polish in circular motions, that's why you do it up/down, side to side. Use a nice applicator will make it easier here.
9) Buff - same for the buffing, up/down, side to side.
10) Sealant/Wax - Dodo Juice Light Fantastic is the soft wax for white cars, will be easy to use, will probably smell nice and be a pleasure to use, again, up/down, side to side when applying. If you want a Sealant for long lasting protection - Dodo Juice Future Armour is good here, easy to use spray, spray onto microfiber, wipe onto bodywork then wipe straight back off - 6 months protection - miracle product this stuff!
11) Buff - Again up/down, side to side.
12) Wheels - wash with Iron remover (Angelwax Revelation) and a microfiber wheel brush

These are the products I either use - most of them, for the easiest, but most effective shine or would use for a white car(the wax)

I must stress, I take no responsibility for any problems caused by the directions above. This is what I do with my cars and get great results with mirror glass paintwork, you have to keep in mind incorrect use of the products may cause scratches or undesirable effects, follow the instructions on the products you are using. Best thing to do is take your time and read up on how to guides. :thumbup:
See the pic for the shine I normally now achieve, although the picture does not do it justice.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.