Alfa Romeo Forum banner

2008 My 159

Tags
2K views 37 replies 17 participants last post by  philipohara 
#1 ·
The 2008MY 159 will have a 3.2 FWD variant which will shave 100kg off the weight, should be fun!!!

Also the Ti is now a standard part of the 159 range and is available with the 1.9JTDm engine and with all options available to order. The spec has changed a little, electric seats now an option but should now be very competitive on contract hire.

#2 ·
Thanks for the info. Interesting that AR have continued with the Ti as part of the range - it was meant to be a special edition. So does that mean Ti's will be open to discount?!?!? :)

I guess AR is following along the lines of Audi with their 'Sportline' range............

#6 ·
Yeah FWD is pleasing to see over Q4. Should be noticeably faster in the straights as more power will get through to the wheels. Probably will be the performer it should have been first time round, and will nicely see off the 2.4 JTDm now :)

I wonder if a Q2 diff is in the pipeline, I know the one that fits the old Alfa's doesn't fit the new 159/Brera/Spider range..

Will the dropping of Q4 on the 3.2 Brera and Spider become an option too, if so when?

Price increase sounds like good news for those that have bought one before, should help improve the already good residuals, unlike the case of the GT since the release of the 1.8 T.S.

Thanks for the information :)

#9 ·
I'd have RWD in preference, but that ain't possible in a 159.

As for FWD vs Q4, I'd have FWD, the other 159s drive and handle fine with it, its an exec saloon afterall. The car isn't that powerful to begin with and Q4 saps too much of it, better to have FWD and get more power on the road.

#11 ·
The handling and safety of AWD and especially the159 3.2Q4 really makes the car a drivers car,on the fast windy stuff Golf GTI's have trouble keeping up,when you change the standard cats for hi flow sports cats the car is changed in such a way you would think it had lost 200kgs,it really becomes the car we all expected in the first place.

#15 ·
OA,I had a 156 2.0 TS it torque steered,bounced across the road on every bump and I sold after 30,000kms in disgust.I am sure a GTA is faster than a 159 but I bet you feel every bump and the steering wheel is pulled out of your hand when you accelerate around a tight corner with your foot flat to the floor in 2nd gear.I just find powerful FWD cars an unacceptable compromise .No I have not driven any GTA,maybe one day if I get the opportunity.

#16 ·
The chasis on the 159 is so good I'm sure it could handle the 260bhp 3.2 without issue. Afterall. it can handle the 210bhp diesel with ease and that has bucketfulls of torque.

#18 · (Edited)
Pud 237,plenty of wet weather in UK,I bet a FWD car can"t keep up with an AWD in the wet.What about horrible torque steer?Also I thought aFWD car lost 22-25% of power at the wheels.My 159 produced 174 at the wheels before the new cats and188hp after the new cats.The most power I have read about from a standard 156GTA is about 192 hp at the front wheels.

#19 ·
Great news about the weight loss, hopefully the traction is maintained (I think a Q2 would help a great deal)

But a bit dissapointed the weight loss hasn't resulted from a trimming down of weight (through use of lightweight material).

I wish I could work in Alfa HQ, would quickly whip them into shape, and give an Alfisti's view on things.

I think it would be summarised as follows.... "RWD !!, range of engines (including some high powered units - all of which bark and make your spine tingle), usual design flare inside and out, lightweight construction (whilst not cutting down on quality), feedback through the wheel is essential, improved dealer service and a bit more reliability. ...oooh and cam CHAINS! not belts

E.g. If I am correct the old Nord engines used in the 1970 Giulia was an all alloy block...I think some of the later engines have reverted to lesser technologies.

#27 ·
E.g. If I am correct the old Nord engines used in the 1970 Giulia was an all alloy block...I think some of the later engines have reverted to lesser technologies.
Yes. The original Twin Cam was all alloy (block and head) with chain driven cams and it's much older than you think - it first appeared in the 1950s! When it was eventually replaced by the Twin Spark 16valve that was belt drive and an iron block. The new 2.2JTS has reverted to chains - at last!

#22 ·
OA,full power and a tight corner in 2nd gear.I always felt the front wheels were driving the car and found it disconcerting .I guess if power and grip is what appeals and you don't mind the FWD compromises it is a matter of what you like and in the end that is all that matters,however I don't think a lot of people who would prefer FWD over AWD have had a long fast drive on a windy road to really appreciate the difference.

#38 ·
What's the chances of Alfa coming out with a 159 Crosswagon anytime soon? For some strange reason I really liked the look of the old 156 crosswagon and I think this would be a good seller for the 159 if it were to ever materialise...

It would probably get (even) heavier though!

Cheers

Philip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.