Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Sorry, but rugby is rubbish

7K views 101 replies 31 participants last post by  howell811 
G
#1 ·
I don't care whether Eng-er-land win at it ot not.

Any game where it's apparently wonderful to kick it into row Z all the time, and where most games are decided by unopposed scoring opportunities for trivial technical infringments like offside is a waste of grass.

Aha - you are standing in the wrong place. Three points to me! Mwwaaahahahahahah.

Rubbish, I tell you, rubbish. I'm going to ban it when I'm Emperor. You'll see.

#2 ·
:lol: :cheese: :lol:

You've got it all wrong.:p Rugby is great. Fact. ;)

#3 ·
I think it needs to be said that there is a wide dividing line between watching sport and participating in sport.

I can't stand watching sport (Unless it's womens tennis or womens volleyball) but I love playing most sports and i'll have a go at anything.

:)

#4 ·
Have to say, the latest bout of bandwagon jumping is rather funny. Just like at the last Rugby World cup really. So many people saying they love it when they haven't watched a match since the last final.

Yes, I hope England win. But I won't be watching. And after all the hype that it was to superceed Football as the most popular sport in the UK after 2003.... no chance, even if we as a nation make it two in a row.

It just like the many people who support Man Utd/Chelsea/Liverpool. They are all glory hunters. Egg chasing as a spectator sport is in my personal opinion a poor show.

#5 ·
Have to say, the latest bout of bandwagon jumping is rather funny. Just like at the last Rugby World cup really. So many people saying they love it when they haven't watched a match since the last final.

Yes, I hope England win. But I won't be watching. And after all the hype that it was to superceed Football as the most popular sport in the UK after the 2003.... no chance, even if we as a nation make it two in a row.

It just like the many people who support Man Utd/Chelsea/Liverpool. They are all glory hunters.
I quite agree. :yes:

#19 ·
Too right!(although i like footy too!) Rugby is a real sport of true strength,fitness,skill etc etc.

Footballers are just a bunch of overpaid namby pamby premadonas who don't really give a toss. If the England football team had even 1% of the belief and pride as the Rugby team they might actually beat anything other than mediocre teams.

:rant:

G
#7 ·
I used to play in the forwards at school and appreciate the highly technical and downright scary activities of the big guys. But I sorely miss the flair and excitement of the ball being moved all the way along the line to the winger (and ultimately the full back!) when the backs were on-song. Where did the imagination and sheer thrill of the Barbars back line disappear to? :(

#8 ·
I would rather watch rugby than football I have to say, although I haven't a clue whats going on, but at least they don't all roll around when they've had a knock AND they appear to respect the refs decision and take it on the chin, so for me its more enjoyable to watch.

However I'll more than likely be playing MoH Airborne on the PC, so I'll leave all the shouting and jeering to my wife and her sister in the other room!!

#12 ·
Aye! Even The Younger Mrs S. has sussed that playing the ball on the ground, not releasing and (most heinous!) putting your hands in a ruck are big no-no's!

I think if you played it, it suddenly all makes more sense, though I still didn't work out if it's okay to kick the ball out on the full, from inside the 22 or not.. :D

Ralf S.

G
#15 ·
Rugby Union rocks!
Any dissent from players when a penalty is awarded against them and the penalty is taken from 10m closer to their Try line. Any moaning over that and another 10m. Lots of moaning and as soon as the 10m's take the ball over the Try line, a Try is given!
Ref wears a radio mic so you can hear his calls and comments to players.
Misbehaving players in the Sin Bin for 10mins.
Any querying of decisions has to come from the captain, respectfully.
Upon any injury on pitch, ref signals for clock to stop and clock is restarted on resumption of play. When 40mins or 80mins is up, everyone knows that as soon as the ball goes dead, it's half time or full time.
Whingeing, moaning, diving, cheating Football, take note!

G
#18 ·
Ralf, you can kick the ball straight out from inside your own 22 and the line out is from where the ball went over the line, the other side's put-in.
If you kick it straight out from outside your 22, the ball comes back and the line-out is level from where you kicked, again, the other side's put-in.
In essence, what you have to do when kicking outside your 22, is to have the skill (and partly luck) to land the ball near the line, so that it bounces over the line, whereupon it's the other side's put-in again (from where the bal left the pitch). Alles Klar? ;)

G
#20 ·
Certainly England beat Australia and France because of their sheer will and determination. That does seem to be lacking in the Football side sometimes. And to be fair, it's not always present in the Rugby side.
Modern football players are supremely fit and the level of skill and speed is the highest it's ever been, but I simply cannot watch it because I want to punch them every time I see them shouting, swearing, whingeing, diving, spitting and cheating. Sad, but true.

#48 ·
Modern football players are supremely fit and the level of skill and speed is the highest it's ever been, but I simply cannot watch it because I want to punch them every time I see them shouting, swearing, whingeing, diving, spitting and cheating. Sad, but true.
Hear hear.

G
#28 ·
Played both footy and rugby..I was better at rugby, but still only 3rd team level (2nds when there were lots of casualties:D :D ). Enjoyed the rugby more. Its a lot friendlier

Being an outside centre the thrill was the rare occasion where you put a move together right down the line and put the winger over for a try. Bit like a cavalry charge, it either goes beautifully right, or it goes horribly wrong. In fact most times someone fumbled/got tackled etc etc.

Its a better game to play than to watch these days as defences are so much better organised than they used to be, and the backs rarely get a good run. Like so many games..in depth analysis has enabled the games flaws..which is what made it so much fun, to be ironed out to a greater extent, reducing the opportunities for the backs

Mind you, watching the Argentinians tonight has put right many of the ills of this world cup. Thye have played attractive rugby with passion and commitment and deserve their win over a somewhat demoralised looking France, who were well below their best.

I enjoy watching a good game of footy though, but do resent the massive financial imbalance in that game..total greed at the top, and bu**er all for the bottom of the game. Its too out of kilter to be healthy really IMHO, and I refuse to pay for SKY, so I don't wathc much footy now.

AlfaLincs

#29 ·
I've got to say, I have been encouraged by many of my work colleagues to watch the game tomorrow, but I'm just not interested. I have played both, but I find footy to be a lot more interesting and I love to watch it. I just don't personally see the skill in playing rugby (I'm not saying there isn't any), and therefore find it boring.

G
#37 ·
'Gloryhunting' depends on the length of time you've supported a team, and whether you've ever switched allegience.

I live in Essex, and have a mate who supports Nottingham Forest, hardly his local side. He started suporting them when they were all-conquering double European champions. A glory hunter, no doubt about it, even admits as much.

But hs has supported them thick and thin, even to this day. And for Forst fans, lets be honest, there's not much to cheer about these last few years.

Some people do switch allegience at the drop of a hat, but some of these 'glory hunters' will still be supporting their club in years and decades to come.

The one that really annoys me is the sudden number of people wearing LA galaxy shirts sice Becks has goen there. I bet they wouldn't be able to name a single other MLS side, let alone actually know anything about the league or US football. :rolleyes:

#41 ·
As an Englishman i want every team/individual who represents my country at any event to win.

As a sport rugby ain't a patch on football.

It was invented by people who weren't good enough to play the beautiful game.

Football is played by far more people from grass roots to the elite professionals.

As a spectator sport there is no comparison, attendances, (internationals apart) are pitiful compared to football.

However i do admire the respect shown to the officials and how the players never roll around on the floor faking injury or attempt to get a fellow professional disciplined by their cheating.

#46 ·
I enjoyed the World Cup, realised we had watched the last one having fry ups in our local. It was good to meet up with other nationalities, cheer on underdogs etc. I waved the England flag and sung 'Swing Low' post match with a local lady.
Pride :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.