Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Dear BBC

2K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  VO2Max 
#1 ·
Dear BBC,

Many thanks for filling your web-site with pictures of London in the floods. The pictures of Victoria Station with about 1/2 inch of rain on it (which you've decribed as 'flooded') made me appreciate just how heavy the rain must have been this morning. As did your other photos of Brighton Road in Croydon (a road I know very well).

However, it may have escaped your notice that for the last month other parts of the country have been drowned by the torrant of rain we've had, yet this seems rarely to have graced the pages of the BBC web-site :mad:. Hull was under several feet of water, and indeed Llewellyn Road in Tan-y-fron looked like a river as I walked down it on Tuesday. The fact that water came over the top of my wellies wasn't even mentioned on your 6 O'clock news, let alone your 10 O'clock :tut:

So BBC, what I'm saying is this. As much as I like hearing about the South East of England (it is my spiritual if not literal home), there are other parts of the country that do exist, and its very annoying to hear that a puddle had developed in Victoria Station when you need a submarine to get to Wrexham station...:rolleyes:

#2 ·
Massive 'Niagra' surge down our steep drive this morning!:(: Foul weather gear protected, plus 'wellies', then baled the sunken terrace, as the soakaways were not coping. Then installed the Hippo submersible pump, which I have left it situ, awaiting the next deluge forecast.:(:

#3 ·
Any news of the weather brightening up yet? Seems you've had your fair share of wetness. Time for the clouds to move on.
I was actually thinking a Zodiak would be a good addition to my backyard.

#6 ·
Good point, well made Gary. The Beeb has been criticised by the watchdog for its incredibly London-centric approach. :rolleyes:

#25 ·
the whole of the bbc are (as jim points out) LAUGHABLY london-centric.
how true!

Unfortunately, it happens in Ireland too - Dublin is the centre of the Universe there :rolleyes: Probably true for the capital cities in most countries.

#8 ·
the weather forcasters are the funniest, they'll open their forecast with "umbrellas at the ready, it's going to be a terrible day today" - but when they show the map, eveywhere outside the home counties is basking in 90 degree sunshine. equally they'll come on and say "well it's been another GLORIOUS day today" when in fact the 90% of the country that isn't in the south east will have had snow, tornadoes & biblical floods:lol: over the years i've learnt to "invert" what they say to the opposite, i now get a fairly accurate forecast:lol:

the whole of the bbc are (as jim points out) LAUGHABLY london-centric. they do the same with place/street/district names - for example they would refer to such-and-such happened "on bury new road in the broughton area of manchester" whereas if the incident was in london all they would just say is such-and-such happened "on seven sisters road", like the whole f*cking world must obviously know everything about london cos its so important:lol:

the sooner they get half the beeb moved to manchester the better:D

the press are the same, they seriously think that north of watford we all own whippets and mine coal with our bare hands:lol:

#12 ·
the weather forcasters are the funniest, they'll open their forecast with "umbrellas at the ready, it's going to be a terrible day today" - but when they show the map, eveywhere outside the home counties is basking in 90 degree sunshine. equally they'll come on and say "well it's been another GLORIOUS day today" when in fact the 90% of the country that isn't in the south east will have had snow, tornadoes & biblical floods:lol: over the years i've learnt to "invert" what they say to the opposite, i now get a fairly accurate forecast:lol:
:lol: Yeah I know what you mean - they just don't seem to understand how irritating it is...

#11 ·
You mean there are places outside of London?

They must be rubbish ;-)

(just jesting. i'm don't live in London, and I really don't like it that much either. I agree that the Beeb seems to think the world was formed - and lives - exclusively in London).

g

#14 ·
Not really - the flooding in Hull had sudsided before it was even mentioned. Victorisa station had a puddle on it and its front page news, but other parts of the country get flooded like that all the time, and nothing is mentioned. If London was flooded in the same way that York was a few years ago, or Carlise was a couple of years back, the whole of the BBC news would be devoted to it. Lokk what happens when the SE has a sprinkling of snow :rolleyes:

#16 ·
i was on the A3 that day and water was about 1 1/2 feet deep! on the elevated section! :eek: and my dad said that on a section of road in wandsworth, the water came to the bottom edge of a busses windscreen! all passengers had to get out via the escape route in the back end!! on the way back down the a3 after water had subsided, the water had filled the underpass 2 foot deep! was fun driving through the earlier waters!! :D

#17 ·
Your quite right Gary I have noticed over the past week that now London is being affected the BBC seem to be reffering to it as a huge disaster (which any flood is really) but seriously there is a country outside the M25 which is having a hard time!

G
#18 ·
I can't speak for the BBC News website, I don't look at it, but there has been extensive coverage of the floods, all over the country, from the beginning on BBC TV news. As new developments have occurred, people trying to find accommodation, the insurance repercussuions etc, they heave been dealt with too. You can't just keep putting the same stuff on the news all the time, they have a limited amount of time and there is other stuff around the world like soldiers being killed in Iraq. It's a tough balance to find but if you watch ITV News, you'll see a very similar balance. A bit like when Thatcher's govt were up in arms about the coverage the sinking of the Belgrano got, and when they conducted an in-depth enquiry, they found the BBC to be exactly the same as other broadcasters. By this token, yes, the 1st time London was affected by the floods (I know, not nearly as bad as Gloucs for example), this was highlighted in the news. And yes, partly because it is the capital city! I think the balance has been pretty good though.

#19 ·
To be honest, although I think the balance was about right today (the BBC focused on Gloucester), the fact is they harked on about London being flooded before they even mentioned about Gloucester :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.